Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Saw some things I didn't like !

I had a business meeting yesterday and after I dropped in at the cabelas store in Gonzales La to pick a few things up . Decided to check out the boats of course and wow , they must of had a dozon different Lowe stinger boats and 8 or so RT 188's out sitting in the weather that looked like they have been out there a while . They were all sopping wet . Some of RT's carpet were turning black in spots . A front deck storage lid was warped on a Lowe . Also one of the RT's was hard to open and I had to hit the front corner to close it . WTF . I don't know if them sitting out there in the elements has anything to do with it but if I was looking to buy I would have walked away from that mess ..

It's all good !
    2016 Ranger RT188 White
    Yamaha 115 sho
    motorguide Xi5 80 with pinpoint gps
    Lowrance elite 5 ti with total scan console
    Lowrance hook 5 bow

2. Member
    You should tell the manager exactly this and hear his response.

3. Member
    Ive noticed that at several Cabelas in my area too....boats look like garbage compared to the same models at other dealers in same area....dirty, sopping wet, actually appear used when new

Yet another reason to avoid the big box stores and purchase a boat from the independent dealer network.

5. Member
    Yeah no doubt . I actually got a price from that store when I ordered mine but my local dealer here in Lafayette beat them out . Glad I didn't mess with them . This dealer here keeps everything on his lot covered with the factory shrink wrap covers . I just hated to see all them fine looking rigs in that condition .

It's all good !
    2016 Ranger RT188 White
    Yamaha 115 sho
    Lowrance hook 5 bow

I too contacted the closest Cabela's. Just curious as to a big store pricing. They were NOT interested in talking. Salesman said he would call me back in 10 minutes......over 6 hours later he did call, wasn't really interested in what I was looking for on the boat as far as options, was interested in selling one they had on the lot. Would negotiate either, I prefer doing business with the local Ranger dealer shop here anyway as they are top notch, but I had to call and find out. I ordered it that week from the local guys.
    2017 Ranger RT188, Dual Console, Crystal Red Metallic, Mercury 115 Pro XS Four Stroke, Command Thrust with Tempest 24P, 52 MPH GPS @ 5200 RPM
    Motor Guide 80 lb Xi5 Pin Point/GPS , Lowrance HDS 7 w/Totalscan @ Console, Lowrance Elite 7 TI @ Bow; Romans 6:23

7. Member
    I've had the opposite experience - well only at 1 of the 3 Cabelas that I stopped at.
    The salesman was really interested in what I had to say. He even offered to "hook me up" with a deal. The RT188 in the showroom was in showroom condition. The ones outside were shrink wrapped. We talked through some specifics but didn't finalize anything. I left with a written quote but I probably will be going elsewhere - that Cabelas is about 6 hours from where I am.
    the other 2, let's just say that I won't be shopping there even if I was in the area.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Obsessed View Post
    I too contacted the closest Cabela's. Just curious as to a big store pricing. They were NOT interested in talking. Salesman said he would call me back in 10 minutes......over 6 hours later he did call, wasn't really interested in what I was looking for on the boat as far as options, was interested in selling one they had on the lot. Would negotiate either, I prefer doing business with the local Ranger dealer shop here anyway as they are top notch, but I had to call and find out. I ordered it that week from the local guys.
    Same here. I sent a couple emails to a Cabelas 5 hours from me because they had a leftover 2015 boat that wasnt in very good shape for new (sat in rainy Seattle for years outside) that I wanted to make an offer on. No one ever called me back or returned my email. I get serious buyers usually call, but I bought mine last weekend from a small dealer and was dead serious, cash in hand (the bbc way lol). If you cant even respond to an email, you arent getting my money

9. Banned
    All the boats except for the jons have factory covers at the Cabelas by me. As far as the salesmen, I've inquired a coupe times about boats and maybe they saw thru me that I wasn't really serious. When I bought the little Lund pond hopper from the private seller, I stopped off at the Cabelas and the sales manager gave me all the paperwork to get it registered and titled which was nice.

10. Member
    I didn't have a problem with the salesman there when I spoke with him on the phone last year . He was helpful when he realized that I knew what I wanted from the factory and what upgrades I expected from him . He emailed me a price list speced out like I wanted that day. After about a week went by he called me and I told him that my local dealer beat his price his response was , well sometimes you have to watch out for them smaller dealers ... Ok then .

It's all good !
    2016 Ranger RT188 White
    Yamaha 115 sho
    Lowrance hook 5 bow

11. Member
    When I went there a couple a years ago to visit my son, they had a line of glass Rangers under the eaves and they were covered in bird dung at the back. Some had clear coat and paint damage. All the tin boats were outside, too.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

Thats common at big stores like that. They want alot of boats on display but not enough enclosed storage or they dont bother to cover them. Recently went to a couple dealers in redding to look around and it was the same thing both at the tracker and ranger dealer either not covered or the cover is so full of water it was sagging and leaking in. Would be a big turn off for me. Plus boats and cabelas and bps are like a playground too many people pawing and crawling all over thm.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

13. Banned
    All this leads me to wonder if these big box dealers are paying for the boats on the front end or the back end. Seems if they paid for them on the front end they would be more careful...UNLESS they just leave them out there and once they are sold, they bill the repairs to warranty

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slonezp View Post
    All this leads me to wonder if these big box dealers are paying for the boats on the front end or the back end. Seems if they paid for them on the front end they would be more careful...UNLESS they just leave them out there and once they are sold, they bill the repairs to warranty

Like anything else with a Title, these rigs are "Floor Planned" which means they pay juice on them after no more than 90 days.
    I'm not dead yet.....competition is the life blood of any human being

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HOGIE View Post
    Like anything else with a Title, these rigs are "Floor Planned" which means they pay juice on them after no more than 90 days.
    Let me restate that, "Like most anything else"

as some used car dealerships, small powersports shop, and marinas will hold their own inventory
    I'm not dead yet.....competition is the life blood of any human being

I've looked at the same Tracker outside of Bass Pro for I guessing 10 months. It actually gave me the bug to go back to Tin, about 3 months before I bought my RT 188 and that was at the beginning of June. When I first seen it, it looked great and I was like....should I? Then I started getting back on BBC, and started looking around decided to stay with a "bass boat" but man it looked good. Now, after being outside, uncovered...ehhhh no thank you. Even the outboard looks dingy, and after running by it to get inside a few times because it's raining, or touching it and burning myself from the hot central valley sun. I am guessing if it was a local dealer it would be clean and ready to show.
    2016 Ranger RT 188 - Charcoal / Dark Cherry
    2016 Mercury 115 Fourstroke - Laser II 20p
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80lb.
    Lowrance Elite 12Ti2 Active Imaging 3 in 1
    Garmin 1022 GPSMAP - Liveoptics LVS34 - Tackle Shack Trolling Motor Pole Mount
    Humminbird Helix 7 GPS Only - Lakemaster VX Premium
    Lowrance Elite 12Ti2 Active Imaging 3 in 1 - Navionics +
    NextGen Lithium Batteries
    V-T2 Live well vents
    (2) Loc-R-Bar / Custom brackets - Bream Metals
    BTO Trailer steps

#HomeBrewTackleCo

Same here with Cabela's in Gonzales. Priced a boat and wanted to talk and he said he wasn't negotiating. He flat out told me that if I don't pay their price someone else will so he doesn't need to haggle. Let's just dismiss that he was around $5,000 higher than what I paid for my boat at a dealer.. for less options.

18. Member
    I bought my boat from Cabela's in Gonzales. I got prices from about 30 different dealers and the cheapest quote i got, they matched. I went hand pick my boat and didn't have this experience. Now they did have some other boats outside that were ratty looking.
    2017 Triton 18 TRX
    200 Mercury Pro XS opti

Quote Originally Posted by bbarras85 View Post
    I bought my boat from Cabela's in Gonzales. I got prices from about 30 different dealers and the cheapest quote i got, they matched. I went hand pick my boat and didn't have this experience. Now they did have some other boats outside that were ratty looking.
    I bought my boat from Cabela's in Gonzales,La. also. I ordered it from Ranger through Cabelas. I also got prices from 3 other dealers and Cabelas were cheaper. The service has been excellent so far.....NOW, having said all that, the original poster is correct. They have boats sitting in the weather sopping wet, moldy seats etc. It is truly pitiful. BUT, in that huge fenced in lot behind the store there is no less than 20 shrinked wrapped Aluminum Rangers. Them same weather beaten, moldy a$$ boats have been sitting out front since 2014. They (Cabelas), sell a ton of Ranger RT188 boats from the Gonzales store but the ones that are sold all come out of that back lot where they are sitting shrinked wrapped protected from the weather.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimco View Post
    I bought my boat from Cabela's in Gonzales,La. also. I ordered it from Ranger through Cabelas. I also got prices from 3 other dealers and Cabelas were cheaper. The service has been excellent so far.....NOW, having said all that, the original poster is correct. They have boats sitting in the weather sopping wet, moldy seats etc. It is truly pitiful. BUT, in that huge fenced in lot behind the store there is no less than 20 shrinked wrapped Aluminum Rangers. Them same weather beaten, moldy a$$ boats have been sitting out front since 2014. They (Cabelas), sell a ton of Ranger RT188 boats from the Gonzales store but the ones that are sold all come out of that back lot where they are sitting shrinked wrapped protected from the weather.

Ok , now I know the rest of the story

It's all good !
    2016 Ranger RT188 White
    Yamaha 115 sho
    Lowrance hook 5 bow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast