First impressions on the 198 {long}

Well I finally had time to write a few thoughts on the new boat and trailer. Had a week off work and headed to the Big O for the checkout, motor run and to try out the new Ultrex, fishing too... Bad things first, my cover did not fit even after making the point of the tall trolling motor mount, they also forgot to install the cover Buckle attachments to the motor mount bolts. 10 weeks and still waiting on my trailer bow steps from Ranger, in now at the dealer. Had to break out the shop-vac, carpet was full of bits of aluminum. Aired up the tires to 50 lbs and started the 780 mile trip, uncovered.. The trailer tows easy and tracks well, very visible lighting. Checked torque on the lugs twice, made it there great. Filled the boat with 25 gallons of fuel which pegged the gauge, added Merc treatment additives, ready to go. Backed the boat in, loads and unloads shallow on the trailer. Motor fired instantly, quiet. Broke the motor in by the book, ran flawless 2 hours. Pulled the boat out and went to bed, worn out. Back out the next day just running the motor and looking for clear water on the North end of the lake. Boat jumps up on plane and does have some lift, 23 Tempest stainless prop, varying rpm still but seeing 53 on the speedo. Enough time to see what this boat will do, 5800 rpm, 64 on speedo, wow... now the ugly truth, GPS says 56.4 lol.. still good as it has some left in her. Boat is stable, thru all trim, no hopping at all. Hull is quiet, wind was howling the first 3 days so I had the boat out in better than 2 foot waves, no whitecaps tho, Impressed so far... Boat loads straight and easy on the trailer, bunks supported even and well. The trolling motor is the real deal, 80 lb thrust did great in the weeds and grass, boat drafts shallow, came in downwind of beds, turned into the wind and "spotlocked" boat held good with no abrupt movements. Used this a lot, rigging, pictures and landing fish, wind would move you a bunch without it. Impressed and worth the money to me, dealer installed I=Pilot but waiting on the Link model to swap out. Hydraulic steering is good also, hotfoot was nice on the 150, blinker trim was too. Regrets were no MercMonitor, front Helix mount over front of foot trey, lost use of the tool holder there. Livewell is fairly small, 27 inch bass was a load lol, kept long enough for a couple pics. Not much really, nice running and fishing boat. Front deck step takes up room in the cockpit but I really like it. Changed out the front bow roller, factory was ok though. Fuel gauge does not work. I was all over the boat fishing, stable and minimal rocking even on the corners, 230 lbs. Back home and off work, ready to go back now...lol Hope this info helps someone

Good info!
    I agree that Ranger factory needs to buy a couple of shop vacs mine had tons of shavings all over the carpet.
    My cover fits great and included the buckles but it did not have the brackets. Didnt really matter because I used them for the transom straps anyway.
    2022 Xpress H17 - Yamaha SHO 90

3. Banned
    The dealer should have spent the 10 minutes to vacuum the carpet before delivering it to you. All this info and no pics of the 27" bass????

4. Member
    Great report
    2005 Tracker PT175
    1987 Ranger 373V Bassmasters Classic

5. Member
    How was the fishing? Headed down there February 1st.

6. Member
    Hey Shoalbass. The fishing was good. The males were coming into the grass in bunches, half lb to three lb or so, pick your shot, easy and lots of em. Probably caught 25 or so 3 to 5 lbers, found a few beds, males on them but no females appeared. I caught the 27 inch fish, my PB there and got my scale back from my buddy's boat, didn't tell me he borrowed it, not the fattest from there but a solid 8 I would guess. Got a 6-10 weighed also. The weather was stable and fishing for numbers was outstanding... Don

Quote Originally Posted by Donnyboy View Post
    Livewell is fairly small, 27 inch bass was a load lol, kept long enough for a couple pics.
    No pics it never happened.........27 inches????
    2017 Ranger RT188, Dual Console, Crystal Red Metallic, Mercury 115 Pro XS Four Stroke, Command Thrust with Tempest 24P, 52 MPH GPS @ 5200 RPM
    Motor Guide 80 lb Xi5 Pin Point/GPS , Lowrance HDS 7 w/Totalscan @ Console, Lowrance Elite 7 TI @ Bow; Romans 6:23

8. Member
    I feel like a 27 inch bass would be a load in any livewell!

9. Member
    Don do you have the 45" or 52" shaft on that ultrex?

10. Member
    Headed to Stick Marsh Feb 26th, I hope to hit it real good this year. Glad you got on em good and enjoyed the new boat!!

11. Member
    Hey guys, I know this was a boat review but you all are a tough bunch LOL.... Must be wintertime... This old guy has tried to post a few bass pictures for everyone to look at with no luck so far. Will read up on how to do it, worst case I will get my grandkids to show me how to.. haha

12. Member
    Picture of the boat too... Otherwise you're fishing from the bank.

Dave
    Last edited by dwardmba; 01-06-2017 at 07:24 PM.
    2015 RT178 - 75HP Mercury Four Stroke

Jesus man...a 27" bass should be ~12lbs.
    13 year old Tracker

Quote Originally Posted by dwardmba View Post
    Picture of the boat too... Otherwise your fishing from the bank.

Dave

Don,
    All in all that will be a great boat for a long time! Enjoy!
    2017 Ranger RT188, Dual Console, Crystal Red Metallic, Mercury 115 Pro XS Four Stroke, Command Thrust with Tempest 24P, 52 MPH GPS @ 5200 RPM
    Motor Guide 80 lb Xi5 Pin Point/GPS , Lowrance HDS 7 w/Totalscan @ Console, Lowrance Elite 7 TI @ Bow; Romans 6:23

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeDust View Post
    Jesus man...a 27" bass should be ~12lbs.
    My PB, 8lb 14oz measured 27 3/4"
    2022 Xpress H17 - Yamaha SHO 90

16. Member
    2005 Tracker PT175

17. Member
    Are the rod tubes in port rod box really limited to 6.5 ft? I really like this model but don't like this part of the design.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dlgfish View Post
    Are the rod tubes in port rod box really limited to 6.5 ft? I really like this model but don't like this part of the design.
    Its the boat itself that limits the length usually. Because the tubes are open on the ends. Just not enough room for 8ft length there. The center holds 8ft rods though. If were me Id have my bass rods in the center and my crappie poles in the port side.
    2005 Tracker PT175