24P Trophy to a 25P Trophy Plus blow out after jumping on plane

I have an older 1997 Ranger 492VS with a recently rebuilt Merc 225 EFI. No jack plate and I want to saw the motor is mounted stock height maybe 6 in below pad?!? but long story short. with the 24 Trophy its slow to get on plane about 8 to 10 seconds with half tank of gas, tourney load and just me. Max speed trimmed up with about 12 psi water at WOT turning 5800/5900 and I get is about 57 MPH and that's on a good day

add another passenger and I'm down to 52 easy

I put the 25P Trophy Plus on ran it in via the 3 below listed configurations but all resulted in the same outcome. As soon it would plane out, the prop would blow out... I switched hubs, tried the 24P again to make sure. Is this just not the prop for my boat? It was one that comes up as a Merc recommendation.

1st config with 4 plugs (2 small hole and 2 large hole ones)... jumps out of the hole in 2 to 4 secs around 3000 to 4000 RPM(just me in the boat)
    2ng config with 4 plugs (2 small hole and 2 closed plugs)... jumps out of the hole in 2 to 4 secs around 3000 to 4000 RPM(just me in the boat)
    3rd config with 4 plugs (all 4 closed plugs)... jumps out of the hole in 3 to 5 secs around 3000 to 4000 RPM(2 people in the boat)

Have the boat in the shop now for a health check and tune... I asked them to look into this as well... there original input was that it made no sense and that the motor is either adjusted wrong. I'm going to have them install a jackeplate because I think I should be getting more speed out of this thing for sure from reading other post.
    Last edited by Jaybassin; 01-19-2017 at 06:35 PM.

2. Member
    Your motor needs to be 3 1/2" under prop to pad and it could be a bad prop. The blow out when breaking over you may have to learn to pedal the throttle to keep from doing it. That boat might run better with a 25" or 26" tempest.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    Your motor needs to be 3 1/2" under prop to pad and it could be a bad prop. The blow out when breaking over you may have to learn to pedal the throttle to keep from doing it. That boat might run better with a 25" or 26" tempest.
    OK Thanks... yeah this is new to me on it blowing out. I'll make sure they install a jack plate to get that motor up and work on getting the prop worked or a better one their after. I did actual pedal off a few times and it worked pretty good. We'll see

4. Member
    Jay,a Trophy on that engine will get a lot of ventilation at hole shot from the exhaust passing over the prop hub,it is a smaller hub prop. Any chance that the 24 had a blow out ring with it? It's the black ring that fits between the LU and the prop. Without that you may not need to have any open holes. And you're correct,you should be much faster.After the plate is installed try a Tempest+ 25 at 3.5" under. Then you can play with the PVS plugs for hole shot.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip Bass View Post
    Jay,a Trophy on that engine will get a lot of ventilation at hole shot from the exhaust passing over the prop hub,it is a smaller hub prop. Any chance that the 24 had a blow out ring with it? It's the black ring that fits between the LU and the prop. Without that you may not need to have any open holes. And you're correct,you should be much faster.After the plate is installed try a Tempest+ 25 at 3.5" under. Then you can play with the PVS plugs for hole shot.
    No blowout ring for sure on the 24p... so far none that I have have tried had one or I didn't have one installed behind the prop.

6. Member
    Run it with all holes blocked solid without a ring first. It shouldn't need any other venting. You can't compare the hole shot loaded and lite when venting the prop.