Digital SLR questions

I'm in the market for a digital SLR. I have a 15 month old daughter and I need to upgrade from using my cellphone all the time. She's a maniac so action shots would be helpful. Also, some kind of blue tooth or wifi sharing. Where do I start? Any suggestions on cameras or brands? Thanks!

I know Canon's 70D has wifi. I used it VERY little but I know it can be done. There are also wifi memory cards that should work in any camera. I have no experience with those but routinely run into newspaper photojournalists that use them for many events.

3. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by tshooter View Post
    I know Canon's 70D has wifi. I used it VERY little but I know it can be done. There are also wifi memory cards that should work in any camera. I have no experience with those but routinely run into newspaper photojournalists that use them for many events.
    I was going to suggest just a wifi card instead of spending the extra coin on a camera with it built in.

What is your budget? Let us know that and we can start with suggestions.

4. Member
    So if we forgot about Wifi any suggestions on a certain camera?

5. Member
    I would say $600

The canon T6i comes with wifi and is a pretty fast camera. I believe 7 fps. Should be able to find one near your budget. Might have to spend a lil bit more for a bundle
    Support 81

7. Member
    I have bought from CPW before with no problems Here is a T6i kit in your price range.

http://www.canonpricewatch.com/produ...Kit-price.html

8. Member
    I'll 3rd the T6i vote
    "The most dangerous risk of all -the risk of spending your life not doing what you want on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later." -random Facebook pic that came up on my wall

8'6" Longboard
    6'6" Shortboard

9. Member
    I just purchased a T6i recently as my first DSLR and I am very happy. Easy to use out of the box, but has features that I can learn as I go along to take even better pictures. Bought mine from Canon during their Black Friday sale.
    Last edited by Half Baked; 12-08-2016 at 09:09 AM.

10. Member
    Are you looking for used or new? My daughter just bought a used Sony A-300 that came with a lens, battery, charger, usb cable, and she bought a used Minolta lens to go with it all for $180 off ebay. Stuff looks and works like new.

11. Member
    I've been researching for a friend that's bought a couple DSLR's and doesn't use them because they are too complex. I know I don't use my Nikon D90 much because it's cumbersome and like I said if you don't know how you're pretty much stuck on "auto" or risk losing shots on one of the other settings. The T6i and S look like pretty dummy proof point and shoots. Same Club has a decent bundle deal on the 'I' in my area.

Any camera, whether $300 or $3,000, left in auto will behave much like many point and shoots. As Half Baked pointed out, that would be a great option to start with and slowly learn how to get yourself out of auto. Really only 2 other modes you need to learn in my opinion to get 95% of everything you every need to photograph (AV & TV modes). One controls your background blur and the other controls your shutter speed to freeze the action). You can learn one and then let the camera set everything else. Boom, your family will think you are a pro in 2 days!

13. Member
    canon t6i. from the low end to the top, the operational programs are basically the same. almost fool proof, at least the ones I have used.

14. Member
    I was in best buy a few days ago and saw several different DSLRs. You might want to go to a store and get the cameras in your hand to see how they feel. Talk to the sales reps to get the differences between the models. Good luck with your purchase. I do recommend reading a book about exposure settings. This is the book I bought several years ago and still refer to it today when my brain short circuits. Shooting in auto/program mode is like driving a 4 speed manual corvette and staying in first gear. You'll get there but won't see the car's total performance. Here is the book I bought years ago. I'm sure there are others out there by now.

understandexposure by mikesgm, on Flickr