Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    Did a factory reset. Fished 5 hours and NO lockups. I'm hoping it's gone for good. I'm on v3.8

Good to know, appreciate the update. Reply to the thread if any additional lockups occur.
    Garmin Pro Team

3. Member
    Performed the factory reset and no problems

It's good you got it worked properly. I do a factory reset anytime I upgrade the software just to eliminate the possibility of residual settings screwing something up. There are just way too many variables that could effect one configuration but not another.

5. Member
    I recently purchased the Echomaps 73sv that Cabelas had on clearance last month. I have just installed the unit and done no updates. The unit locks up on a regular basis. I will try update and reset when I get a chance and report back.

6. Member
    The issue is back for me. For testing this time around I tried a factory reset and changed no settings after the reboot. Went to Sidevu, 2D, and Chart split screen. It locked up multiple times during the day and I tried multiple factory resets.

7. Member
    Id call customer support.
    Smokercraft Phantom 202 Yamaha F115/Merc 9.9
    Garmin 7610xsv/GT51M-TM/Panoptix PS21/LiveScope
    Why am I hanging out here when I could be fishing.....

8. Member
    I need one of those, just called customer support 28 minutes just to talk to someone. Who's got that kind of time!! Not sure I made a good decision on this product!!!!

9. Member
    Thats unusual. They normally answer within a minute or so.

10. Member
    I got a response but they just told me to do an update ��

11. Member
    Call back and tell them you did that AND you did a reset.

12. Member
    I talked to Garmin support and honestly they are stumped on the locking issues. I described the problem and let them know I've done multiple factory resets and changed no settings after reset. They said if I continue to have issues that I could pay $170.00 and get a refurb 93sv which honestly isn't that tempting since its the same unit I'm having issues with that apparently others are also having issues with.

On a side note the support rep was very nice and is shipping me 2 cards since I'm having trouble with my maps but it won't do me much good if the unit I put it in is unusable.

I really want to like Garmin and the price point was right when I was looking for graphs. This experience with the maps and the graphs has really got me considering switching to something else especially since I may be in the market for a new unit to replace my 93sv.

13. Member
    So it sounds like your unit is out of warranty then? If so, that doesnt sound like a bad offer to me.

Also, it looks like you are the only one having that issue now. I think everyone else got fixed by doing a software up-date and factory reset.

On another thread recently, someone was haveing lockup issues and it turned out to be the sd card was bad or dirty. I would try without the sd cards in the slot and see what happens.

If nothing else works, I would take them up on the refurb offer. The refurb unit will be worth a lot more when you sell it to switch brands than the one you have now.

Good luck either way!

Quote Originally Posted by Jiayi345 View Post
    I talked to Garmin support and honestly they are stumped on the locking issues. I described the problem and let them know I've done multiple factory resets and changed no settings after reset. They said if I continue to have issues that I could pay $170.00 and get a refurb 93sv which honestly isn't that tempting since its the same unit I'm having issues with that apparently others are also having issues with.

On a side note the support rep was very nice and is shipping me 2 cards since I'm having trouble with my maps but it won't do me much good if the unit I put it in is unusable.

I really want to like Garmin and the price point was right when I was looking for graphs. This experience with the maps and the graphs has really got me considering switching to something else especially since I may be in the market for a new unit to replace my 93sv.

14. Member
    That's good thinking. Now that I've had a minute to cool off I'm just going to see what happens. I really did like my unit pre all these issues. The fact that tournament season starts next week for me also exaggerates these issues.

15. Member
    Something out of the blue, are you getting good voltage to he unit?

16. Member
    Not to open an old thread, but I was doing a search online.

Was wondering if you guys ever found a fix???

My Echomap 73SV with Chirp has locked up since the very first day I installed it. It's been almost a year now. It's a pain and I hate It! It does it more than 15 times a day. It's my first Garmin product, and probably my last.

I have called and emailed Garmin so many times. Of course they put the blame on my battery. SMH. It's a brand new $250 Deka AGM that works perfect and holds a great charge... so try again! That just proves to me that they have no clue and rushed a product to market. I personally think it's a buffer overload or something like that because when it happens I can feel the back of the unit is extremely HOT. Way hotter than it should be and it's not from the sun.

I did look and seen I was running 3.80. I just flashed it to the latest 4.1 or 4.2. That better fix it because I've had enough of this scrap. I spent $700 on this, the Garmin rep on the phone told me "they are in the business to make money" (he was an a**hole) but if they want to keep my money, they better give me something that works!

I'd love to hear how everyone's units are doing since this thread is a year old now.

17. Member
    Apparently for most the software update fixed the issue. I remember reading that doing a factory reset helped some and for one the problem was a bad map card. I never saw any kind of report that specifically identified one cause. I have an echomap chirp 93sv and never had the problem a single time and saw one post saying that Garmin had difficulty replicating the issue. Even with no software problems this kind of thing can happen due to other reasons. Tech support reading from a book will always mention power source as a possibility. Cable connections is also a possibility. The fitment of the craddle is also a possible source.

Hopefully the update will fix your problem. If it doesn't, isolating the cause may be tough.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

18. Member
    I had 2 93svs same problem the 4.1 fixed it.

19. Member
    Garmin sent me another unit which ended up having the same problems. Later they released a software update that addressed the issue and I haven't had an issue since.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123