Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Banned
    How would you go about getting 3.70 or 3.60

2. Member
    Same thing happened to one of their updates about a year ago. Unit locked up and power had to be removed for a restart.

3. Member
    I've been in contact with engineers in KC about this. If y'all can give specifics, I'll relay it to them. Model, what screen(s) you are in when it happens, exactly what it does, or doesn't do.

Thanks,

SE Kansas grass grower

ROCK CHALK

4. Member
    I save copies of up-dates for several months, but I only have the ones for GPSmap series. Someone else may be saving echomap copies.

You might try calling customer support. Maybe they can get you a copy?

I cant remember for sure, but I think I read that there is a special procedure you have to go through to go to an older version on a software up-date. I would ask about that before you try it.

Quote Originally Posted by rocket man View Post
    How would you go about getting 3.70 or 3.60
    Smokercraft Phantom 202 Yamaha F115/Merc 9.9
    Garmin 7610xsv/GT51M-TM/Panoptix PS21/LiveScope
    Why am I hanging out here when I could be fishing.....

5. Member
    I have 3.70 on a card. However, I think I recall being advised that you cannot go back down the scale on upgrades. Perhaps Todd or Ringy will come along with an accurate answer. See what Garmin says. Someone can borrow mine if Garmin doesn't help out.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ring fry View Post
    I've been in contact with engineers in KC about this. If y'all can give specifics, I'll relay it to them. Model, what screen(s) you are in when it happens, exactly what it does, or doesn't do.

Thanks,

SE Kansas grass grower
    Ring Fry, it happened 4 times to me on my 2nd outing after downloading 3.8. 3 times I was in combo screens(chart,down,side), and the 4 h time was chart only. The first 3 times I was using the contour mapping feature but not the last time.

93sv non-chirp. Console unit only. 93sv bow unit never locked up nor did my 73sv on the console. All non-chirp units.

7. Member
    Thanks, got an email back from Garmin techs. They are aware of the problem and are currently working on a solution. But keep up the comments. The more information they receive, the better the solution will be.

SE Kansas grass grower

Oh, and I'm pretty sure you can't go backwards on the upgrades.
    Last edited by ring fry; 01-05-2017 at 02:05 PM.

ROCK CHALK

Quote Originally Posted by ring fry View Post
    Oh, and I'm pretty sure you can't go backwards on the upgrades.
    Actually, you can. I've gone backwards on my 73sv chirp when I was diagnosing an issue I was having, so it can be done, but I don't think Garmin will tell you how. It's a factory reset so it will wipe out all your settings, waypoints etc.. you'll have to back up any data you care about first. You're probably better off just waiting for the fix from Garmin unless really need a reliable system right now and want to go back to a previous version.

9. Member
    Backing up requires a secret hand shake or something ;)

I'll see if I can find the details on how to do it. Its been a few months since I read about it and I have CRS.....

I used this to downgrade to a previous version, it's translated from a different language, but I was able to follow it for my 73sv chirp. I cannot guarantee it won't brick you unit

Preparation Downgrade Echomap 50s:

1. save routes, tracks, waypoints first save, since after the DOWNGRADE a
    Factory reset and thus all data are deleted.

2. Copy the desired firmware "gupdate.gcd" to "x: \ garmin" to an SD card.

3. any existing GarminDevice.xml in "x: \ garmin" necessarily delete!

4. Insert the SD card into the switched off device in Slot 1 (left)

5. Remove an SD card inserted in slot 2 as a safety measure

6. With the device switched off, press and hold the "UP arrow" on the Echomap 50.

7. Press and hold the "Power On" button.

8. After a while, the display shows "HOLDING BOOT BLOCK". "Power On" and "Power On"
    Press and hold the arrow key UP!

9. "SOFTWARE LOADING" appears in the display again. Still
    Press and hold "ON" and "UP arrow" until "LOADER READY"
    is shown. The keys can now be released.
    Who has released "LOADER READY" must start again with 3. as the system
    Then again created an XML file on the SD card.

10. During the downgrade, "SOFTWARE LOADING" will appear in the display again.

11. After completion, the device performs a factory reset and boots with "new"
    Old firmware. The basic settings (language, units, ...) must now, like
    At initial commissioning.

11. Member
    For GPSmap series:

From Garmin Support:
    The only file that should be on a properly prepared software update card for the GPSMAP 740s is GUPDATE.GCD.

If that file is on the card and the update will not load, you can force the update by using the "Boot Block" procedure.

Once the update card is prepared, load the update using the "Boot Block" procedure. Starting with the unit powered off, insert the card.

1) Press and hold the power button. “GARMIN” will appear on the screen right away.

2) Continue to hold the power button until you see “Holding – Boot Block” on the screen and then release the power button

3) The software update should load and the screen will return to the “I Agree” message.

You can check the software version by selecting:

Configure
    System
    System information

Garmin engineers have had both nonCHIRP and CHIRP echoMAPs up and running non-stop for days and cannot replicate the freezing/locking issue with 3.80 software. For those having the issue, we may need to find out more about your specific setup. But first, please try restoring to factory default settings (Home, Settings, System, System Info, Factory Settings), then report back regarding performance. This reset will not delete user data.
    Garmin Pro Team

13. Member
    I run a echoMAP CHIRP 93sv with PS30 and GT8 connected. The only screen I use is a 2 panel screen with the GT8 on the left and PS30 on the right. The only way you could run it more than I do is go fishing every day or like the engineers run it non-stop in a lab. No lockups. I'm only posting this since it seems the other reports seem to involve that they were looking at Charts in some form.

I have copies of the echoMAP CHIRP 93sv software: 3.00, 3.20, 3.30, 3.40, 3.60, 3.80. If anybody needs any of these I can throw them in a dropbox folder and send you a link. It is my understanding that if you try to go backwards on a release and something goes wrong the unit can end up completely dead and have to be sent back. I would much rather that Garmin refine the software install so that going backwards was not so risky. A few lines of code that required a password supplied from tech support that was generated from the serial number and date.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

14. Member
    For what its worth, I have not seen any other reports like this on any of the 4 or 5 other boards I hang out on.

15. Member
    I'm running 3.7, and I reported freezing back in October? So it's a real thing, not garmin bashing.

16. Member
    I dont think anyone is denying there is an issue. Its just that it doesnt seem to be a wide spread thing. That means its probably NOT the software up-date that caused it. At least not primarily. If it was the software up-date, then lots more guys would be reporting the problem and it would be easy to replicate.

It could easily be a combination of things, which Im sure is why Todd asked for more details on the specifics as far as equipment for those having the issue.

17. Member
    I was out on the water for 8 hours yesterday. I have 93sv non chirp. Before the trip I updated to 3.8 to see if it would resolve my issue but it didn't. I'd say the unit locked up roughly 2-3 times per hour. For testing I power the unit on, went straight to split screen (chart and sidevu) and after a bit the unit locked up. Was like this the whole day. I did not have quickdraw on or anything like that. One time the unit locked up with just a single screen on chart. I have a 73dv non chirp with same software and no issues ever. My 93sv started doing this some time back in the summer. On a side note I now get a message on both units saying "can't unlock maps" after trying to update both units LakeVu maps.

18. Member
    That means yoru lock up wasnt caused by the recent up-date then. When did it start locking up? After you tried to up-date the maps? Maybe thats the issue?

Sounds like you need to call support about the map issue at least. Maybe they sent you the wrong sd card. They have done that before.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiayi345 View Post
    I was out on the water for 8 hours yesterday. I have 93sv non chirp. Before the trip I updated to 3.8 to see if it would resolve my issue but it didn't. I'd say the unit locked up roughly 2-3 times per hour. For testing I power the unit on, went straight to split screen (chart and sidevu) and after a bit the unit locked up. Was like this the whole day. I did not have quickdraw on or anything like that. One time the unit locked up with just a single screen on chart. I have a 73dv non chirp with same software and no issues ever. My 93sv started doing this some time back in the summer. On a side note I now get a message on both units saying "can't unlock maps" after trying to update both units LakeVu maps.
    Did you try what I asked in a post above (a restore to factory default settings)?
    Garmin Pro Team

20. Member
    I'm headed to the lake right now. I'll try factory reset.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast