Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Wow....everyone ive talked to that owns a G2 loves it. I had no idea they were secretly hated so much. I know Scott Suggs G2 will suck you back and get gone in a hurry......If I can afford it, ill be running one with a 10 year warranty.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silkstringz View Post
    Wow....everyone ive talked to that owns a G2 loves it. I had no idea they were secretly hated so much. I know Scott Suggs G2 will suck you back and get gone in a hurry......If I can afford it, ill be running one with a 10 year warranty.
    It's an Evinrude. They could have a 0% failure rate for the next 25 years and all the gomers out there would still be telling you how bad they are and you should buy X brand motor instead (most likely the one in their signature). We are in a very lucky time right now in that we have several great motors to chose from. I would base my decision on best wrench closest to me and buy whatever brand he/she works on. The big thing to remember is its not a matter of if, its a matter of when you will need service.

I bet your mercury salesman will buy you an aftermarket warranty to add onto your factory warranty to get 10yrs if you just ask. Youre gonna pay for it one way or another.

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

4. Member
    The next time you take a cruise, look at the ports & see what the rest of the world uses. I see Yamaha more than any other brand....I'm 15 yr Opti owner....and the motors I've see on fed boats were Honda.

5. Member
    The next time you take a cruise, look at the ports & see what the rest of the world uses. I see Yamaha more than any other brand....I'm 15 yr Opti owner....and the motors I've seen on fed boats were Honda.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    The Japanese are master copiers and aren't innovators.
    No one copied the vst. You can look it up but I believe the patent was awarded to Brunswick Corp around 2000. There was no reason for yamaha to reinvent the wheel. They simply bought the vst from merc to use on their motors and made some minor changes. Just like merc use to buy small yamaha powerheads back in the day. When yamaha raised their prices merc went to the Chinese and sold their motors under merc name. We can beat this horse to death, no one copied anythig!
    Last edited by Rich Z; 01-05-2017 at 12:46 PM.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    There is no "best" out there. All are good. Take into account dealer accessabity to service for your engine. Warranty isn't that useful if your servicing dealer is 500 miles away.
    THIS.

I'm guessing there are quite a few dealers of all brands in the Dallas area. All are great motors. All motors can have problems. If you're buying brand new, all motors will have their different levels of warranty. Find out what warranty is included with the purchase. If USED, take the boat to a certified dealer for a checkup - that will tell you all you need to know about a motor in how it was taken care of and maintained (or not maintained) which is more important than brand.

Ranger z520 // Mercury 250 Pro XS
    12ft BT Talons/112 Ultrex/Hbird 360

I agree Get whatever has the best customer service.. We met a guy in the Bahamas that was running 2 1999 225HP Tohatsu Outboards on his 25' center console. He said they were The most fuel efficient quietest outboards he has ever ran..he paid $6K a. Piece for them new and has put almost a grand of hours on them with jo issues..

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grayline View Post
    I agree Get whatever has the best customer service.. We met a guy in the Bahamas that was running 2 1999 225HP Tohatsu Outboards on his 25' center console. He said they were The most fuel efficient quietest outboards he has ever ran..he paid $6K a. Piece for them new and has put almost a grand of hours on them with jo issues..
    Someone please help me out here but I am thinking Tohatsu Outboards are part of Honda or Susuki.
    "keep your blood thin,you will live longer"

10. Member
    If you can afford to buy new about every 5 years go with Merc simply because they are fast and they make your boat look dam good.If you expect to get 15 to 20 years out of your outboard with very little trouble go with Honda,susuki,and most yamahas.I had an old marine service tech that worked on the Ohio River on the coal barges told me one time that owning a merc outboard was like owning a general motors product,the only way to own one was under warranty.Because after the warranty is out they will nickel and dime you to death.
    "keep your blood thin,you will live longer"

If I was ordering a new boat---- it would have a Honda on it.

My last Mercury was in the 80's, since then a couple big Suzi's and a Hammer O66.----- BUT, I would go with the Honda, you won't win any races, but it will never be in the shop

12. Member
    By all means, only buy a Merc if you have a really good mechanic thats close, cuz u WILL need it. Good hint on reliability is what the salt guys use....pretty much all brands except Merc....

200 HP Diesel

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
    .... Btw, they all blow up.
    This. Go over to the forum section for Merc, Yamaha, Evinrude, etc and they are all full of folks with problems.

Quote Originally Posted by wentbroketryingtogopro View Post
    Someone please help me out here but I am thinking Tohatsu Outboards are part of Honda or Susuki.
    Nope, they are on their own from way back. They have made motors for Nisson and others, mostly the small hp ones I think.
    Think what would happen in this country if the many stopped fearing the few.

2015 RT 178 w/70hp Yamaha.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TopgunZ521C View Post
    Don't forget the government uses Evinrude on all their boats. hmmmmmm
    Not around here they dont mostly Honda and Yamaha 4 strokes.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

If I was buying a new boat it would have a Mercury Verado on the back. Gotta love a super charged 4 stroke.
    Pat Leach

USAF MSgt Retired

1992 Procraft 180 Pro
    2016 Mercury 150 Four Stroke
    2018 Minn Kota Ulterra
    Helix 7 SI/GPS
    Helix 7 Sonar/GPS

Quote Originally Posted by wentbroketryingtogopro View Post
    Yes , the larger series of Tohatsu 115hp-250hp are made by Honda ,,,,,
    http://www.tohatsu.com/outboards/4st_large.html

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123