Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 58
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Dallas TX
    Posts
    529

    Which motor brand for new boat

    I haven't had a boat for about 10 years and will be back in a boat by end of the year. What would you buy in the 250hp class for a Ranger or Bass Cat? I had a Mercury 150 XR6 and my last boat a 1999 Ranger 519DVS had a Yamaha 225 OX66.

    Not really brand loyal loyal but been away long enough to not know what's the best out there right now.

  2.  
  3. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    319
    #2
    I heard brp evinrude is offering a 10 year warranty on the G2 I would look into that. Of the brands you mentioned i would wait until the new basscat lynx is out and put a 250 G2 on it with the 10 year warranty.

  4. Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    milpitas
    Posts
    2,693
    #3
    10 yes or 1500 hrs whichever comes first

  5. Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Xenia, Ohio
    Posts
    2,935
    #4
    brp has this 10 tr warr. on both g1 and g2--- but go g2!!
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new)
    200 hp Rude ficht -re200flssh
    twin 12 ft. talons-blue water leds
    hook 7 and lms520c
    pulled by a Chevy
    bravo1 fs croxtonized
    proud dad of an ARMY Lieutenant.
    member of "team deplorable"

  6. Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,145
    #5
    There is no "best" out there. All are good. Take into account dealer accessabity to service for your engine. Warranty isn't that useful if your servicing dealer is 500 miles away.
    2015 Bass Cat P2

  7. Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Albuquerque
    Posts
    582
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    There is no "best" out there. All are good. Take into account dealer accessabity to service for your engine. Warranty isn't that useful if your servicing dealer is 500 miles away.
    ^^This^^

  8. Member haus9393's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Plattsburgh, NY
    Posts
    2,861
    #7
    There's a reason evinrude put a 10 year warranty on it and it's not because it's so reliable that they think it will surpass 10 years without a major breakdown

    2015 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4 302a
    2016 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS
    Triple HDS12s/ Garmin 1222 xsv Ps21 panoptix
    Dual 10' Blades/ 112 Fortrex/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    My Youtube Channel: Boat Flippin' Productions https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-d...WxrxIutZQ/feed

  9. 2007 Bass Cat Pantera IV
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Hope Mills, N.C.
    Posts
    5,919
    #8
    Go with the motor that your wrench has the most experience with. If he is good with merc then go with merc, if he is good with yamaha go with yamaha, etc. etc.

  10. Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    2,180
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by haus9393 View Post
    There's a reason evinrude put a 10 year warranty on it and it's not because it's so reliable that they think it will surpass 10 years without a major breakdown
    Then what is it????

  11. Member terry5357's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Flower Mound, Texas
    Posts
    859
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by ssbassman View Post
    Then what is it????
    to sell more motors by offering extended warranty
    1996 ProGator 200V
    1998 Mercury 225 EFI
    New Carpet
    Seastar Pro Hyd Steering
    Minn Kota Ultrex

  12. Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    nc
    Posts
    1,373
    #11
    Quote Originally Posted by ssbassman View Post
    Then what is it????
    I would assume he is referencing Evinrude is using the 10 year warranty to overcome it's reliability perception in the marketplace. Not to mention they had their wagon firmly hitched to Ranger, and now are faced with that relationship moving more toward Mercury with the Johnny Morris buyout. It should help, but they are going to find themselves on the wrong side of history with 2 stroke technology. The world wants four strokes.

  13. Member haus9393's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Plattsburgh, NY
    Posts
    2,861
    #12
    Quote Originally Posted by ssbassman View Post
    Then what is it????
    With the reliability issues they have had and just about every pro on both bass and Flw having major breakdowns in events and changing brands I'm sure the sales have dropped. One way to raise sales is offer an outrageous warranty which is what they are trying to do. Flw does an amazing job at covering up that g2.

    2015 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4 302a
    2016 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS
    Triple HDS12s/ Garmin 1222 xsv Ps21 panoptix
    Dual 10' Blades/ 112 Fortrex/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    My Youtube Channel: Boat Flippin' Productions https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-d...WxrxIutZQ/feed

  14. Member jc2bg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Findlay, Ohio
    Posts
    5,232
    #13
    Quote Originally Posted by haus9393 View Post
    ...just about every pro​ on both bass and Flw having major breakdowns in events and changing brands...
    I was thinking overstatement of the year when I read this, but that's too mild. Overstatement of the decade?

  15. Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Dallas TX
    Posts
    529
    #14
    I have noticed Evinrude powered bass boats don't seem to sell near as quickly or for as much money. Is this because people don't want them? I have only had Mercury and Yamaha 2 stroke engines.

  16. Member wmitch2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Fresno, Ca
    Posts
    489
    #15
    Quote Originally Posted by dtibbals View Post
    I have noticed Evinrude powered bass boats don't seem to sell near as quickly or for as much money. Is this because people don't want them? I have only had Mercury and Yamaha 2 stroke engines.

    DING !!!! AND we have a winner !!
    Ranger Boats/Mercury Motors
    GLoomis Rods/Shimano Reels
    Lowrance/MinKota
    Pepper Jigs/Robo Worms

  17. Member opaleski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central Florida and Michigan
    Posts
    1,597
    #16
    I would go Mercury first and Yamaha second.

  18. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Calhoun, Ga.
    Posts
    38,092
    #17
    Get the new G2 if you have a servicing dealer close and blow them all away!

  19. Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    9A Wetherbee Court, Phoenix MD 21131
    Posts
    324
    #18
    My last boat had a Mercury Pro XS on it and it was a total disaster. It broke down so many times I almost quit the sport altogether. I currently have a 2016 250 SHO and love it. Only 65 hrs so far. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.....

  20. Evinrude/Johnson Motors / SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Crawfordville, FL/Lake Hartwell, SC
    Posts
    60,054
    #19
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonJT View Post
    I would assume he is referencing Evinrude is using the 10 year warranty to overcome it's reliability perception in the marketplace. Not to mention they had their wagon firmly hitched to Ranger, and now are faced with that relationship moving more toward Mercury with the Johnny Morris buyout. It should help, but they are going to find themselves on the wrong side of history with 2 stroke technology. The world wants four strokes.
    When the glass tracker line came out, Johnny wanted nothing but OMC products on the back of his line. Bottom line is if you win the bidding process he'll give you the contract. Ever wonder why you never see a Hammer on the back of a Tracker or Nitro??

  21. Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Cedar Falls
    Posts
    1,572
    #20
    For a 10 year warranty I'd go with the G2 without a doubt. And I run Mercs

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast