Banned

Hobie PA 12 maiden voyage

I have been kayaking fishing for the past 15 years and owned and paddled many yaks over the years. I recently picked up a PA 12 and took it out yesterday for the first time. I was rather blown away to say the least and I can now see what the hype is all about.

The seat is incredible. Both Native and Jackson have great seats but the Hobie Vantage seat takes it to another level. The whole pedal vs paddle was really what impressed me the most. It only took me about 15 minutes to get used to the peddling/steering. Once I was comfortable I didn't have to put my rod down while fishing, sometimes one hand on the steering lever but always had a hand on the rod. Tweaking boat position was simple as the rudder turned the boat on a dime. The large drop down skeg in combination with the pedals allowed for minimal drift in the wind. Also I had to paddle across the lake twice with a 15-20mph cross wind and the skeg kept me dead straight while underway.

I was seeing speeds 3-3.5mph peddling headwind and 3.5-4.5 downwind which was also impressive. Yes these boats are expensive but the experience will pay for itself. I would highly recommend anyone in the kayak market to check em out.

2. Member
    Congrats, they are nice.

3. Official BBC Highjacker bassboogieman's Avatar
    The '17 Mirage Drive now gives you reverse. I haven't tried it but a fishing buddy of mine is on Hobie staff and has one. He's been in Florida for the last week trying it out and so far he loves it. Personally I have no problems using a paddle to back up and I don't have that need often. The new drive is more expensive adding to the purchase price of a new Hobie. But congrats on the PA-12, I'd tell you you'll love it but you already do!

They have an Outback on sale at Scheel's for $2099. You guys are gonna make me go buy it!
    25th Anniversary Champion 187 SCX Elite
    Mercury 175 EFI
    Perception Pescador Pro 120 Kayak
    Aquos 10ft Pontoon Boat

5. Illinois Club | PC/Mac Tips & Tweaks Moderator sgt93's Avatar
    The 2017 models have the new Mirage 180 system that includes reverse. I was going to get a 2016 Outback until I learned this, and the reverse would obviously be useful. FYI
    2017 Bass Cat Phelix Honda 25 SOLD
    2007 BCB Cougar FTD Merc Opti 225 SOLD

Instagram: @SSgt93.
    I don't subscribe to threads. PM if you need me.

Quote Originally Posted by sgt93 View Post
    The 2017 models have the new Mirage 180 system that includes reverse. I was going to get a 2016 Outback until I learned this, and the reverse would obviously be useful. FYI
    yeah, I was aware of that. I prolly won't buy it anyway, gotta see how often I get out this year to know if I want to spend more on bigger. Right now I'm still looking at the new Perception Pilot 12. Its "only" $1800.00.

Oh and Congrats to the OP on your PA12!! Sorry I got off track.....
    Last edited by Royjulius; 02-16-2017 at 08:06 AM.
    25th Anniversary Champion 187 SCX Elite
    Mercury 175 EFI
    Perception Pescador Pro 120 Kayak
    Aquos 10ft Pontoon Boat