Water Pressure Gauge

How to keep your water pressure gauge from freezing up?

3. Member
    My boat is stored is stored in an unheated garage. I put a small,t-stat controlled electric heater on the floor under the console. I turn it to the lowest setting. The heat rises and keeps the water pressure and speedo from freezing. The only other sure way I know of is to remove and store inside. I don't trust bleeder valves.

4. Member
    In my older Stratos i just reach under the dash and unscrew it so the water runs out and leave that way untill i go fishing the next time ? Dont for get to hook it back up , or you may get wet .

5. Member
    disconnect hose from back of guage / put some kind of connector in line disconnect when stored
    where the grass is green and the girls are pretty

Live in Florida

7. Will work for baits. Fish.Team.Rose's Avatar
    Make sure it drains At end of season? Un hook, jet of air, re hook.
    Keith Rose

www.facebook.com/ftrfishing

In search of what was lost.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Babylon5 View Post
    Live in Florida
    I'm a little more south of you and I am worried about protecting my new boat from freezing. the W/P gauge on my last froze. I know we are going to freeze tomorrow surely yall are to

Rick Someillan
    Lacoochee, Florida

9. Member
    Just put a Tee with a drain valve in the line and then all you have to do is open the valve and drain it.

10. Member
    that often won't work. The tubing needs to have a straight run to the drain. But under the dash, it is generally lashed with or looped around all sorts of stuff leaving high and low spots. If the tube runs above the speedo connector barb, water won't run out and it will freeze. Best solution is to disconnect at the speedo (usually held by a good zip-tie) BEFORE freezing temps hit. It should drain out of the speedo. I would use modest air pressure on the tube to blow all the water out, particularly out of the lower unit which is the only other point you really care about ice forming.

11. Member
    Mine froze up two nights ago, darn it that's 2 I have had to replace. Thought about about 2 am, knew I had screwed up.

12. Member
    i remove it and store it in the house - the only way
    2000 Ranger R93 - 200 HP Johnson

13. Member
    I installed a 'T' drop line with valve in 2003, similar to what I saw on the internet; between console and engine shifter; made sure there were no loops in water line. I live in Missouri where it gets below zero sometimes. I haven't had any frozen water pressure gauge problems in 13 years. Just open the valve, and water drains out. Just have to remember to close valve in spring.

1997 Mercury 175 EFI / 1985 184 Champ / 5.5" manual CMC. The cable below the valve goes to the hotfoot pedal. Boat is stored in unheated garage. I bought boat in 1989; in 2003 I had local shop replace original steering (cable broke) with NFB steering, add CMC, add water pressure gauge; I put in the 'T/valve' deal. Luckily I already had this picture on Photobucket and didn't have to go out into freezing rain to take this picture.

Last edited by tj; 01-15-2017 at 08:36 AM.

14. Member
    good idea too
    where the grass is green and the girls are pretty

15. Member
    look at post #8 same thing