Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar

Really stupid question 2015 115hp Pro XS

I bought a holdover 2015 RT188 with a 2 stroke 115hp Pro XS, after doing the first hour of break-in yesterday I went to refill the oil reservoir tank. Had to get pliers to pull the cap out, the rubber seal was not seated properly it had bulged out on one side. Now I cannot get it to slide back in, anyone ever seen this before? Have any ideas on how to fix this?

2. Member
    Is it the O ring bulging out?

3. Banned
    They do go in a little hard, but if the O ring is distorted, you should get a new one.

4. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    yeah, the o ring was bulging out when I tried to get it out. Ended up needed pliers to pull it out, now no matter what I do the ring does not want to go back in...

admittedly I am a newb at this but did not figure I would have such a stupid issue first time out...

5. Banned
    The O ring should be on the cap itself.

6. Banned
    Okay, just went out to double-check. The O ring wraps around a black rubber seal.
    When removing the cap from the tank, you twist the yellow cap counter-clockwise until it takes the pressure off the seal, then pull straight up to remove.
    To install, push the cap back in all the way in, then turn the cap clockwise until the pressure is back on the seal, and the cap can't be pulled out by hand.

7. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    THANK YOU Nova Kaw 650, that worked. Would be nice if that was explained in the owners manual. Looked thru it and all it said was to remove cap and reinstall cap....

8. Banned
    I had to look at it for a few minutes when I first got mine, and I'm a mechanic, lol.

9. Banned
    You will find that the "tin boat" section of BBC is very helpful as well; there's lots of guys running 115 Mercs over there.

10. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    One of the concerns I had to getting a boat was not being that mechanically inclined. Frustrating to run into goofy things like this. I imagine I will have other things pop up that I will need to ask here.

I make sure to lossen mine plenty and it slides out easier. Another thing that helps is to put a light film of oil on the o ring it will slide much easier.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.