Unhappy The new 2018 G3 Sportsman 18, they screwed the pooch again!

WTH is up with these guys over at G3!
    So now they announce a G3 Sportsman 18 but didn't address the rod storage issue and didn't seem like they offer it in a PFX model. I left them a comment stating the same. I think they deleted/hid the first two comments others left, probably telling them the very same thing I did.
    Why oh why must they defy..............common sense?
    Such a pity, they could of truly made this boat the hottest ticket in a tin boat if they had of just added the extra rod locker and drainable ice chest like the 19 has, and offer it as a PFX or regular model just as they do with the 17. Obviously the 115 Yamaha will be awesome in this size boat.
    G3 engineers/designers, is it really so hard to figure out........

Last edited by LuckyCharm; 02-24-2017 at 11:39 PM.
    Rob Kenny
    Weatherford, TX
    Bass Tracker PRO16

Yeah, I have to agree. I watched this video earlier this week and just wasn't impresed. The rod locker in this boat is terrible. First of all is the tow latches which will make it a PITA to open to get a rod out. Also not really impressed with the interior of the large front storage locker. You cannot store anything flat in the storage compartment because of the V in the bottom of it. So items stored will want to gravitate toward the center of the storage compartment. I know Scott Turnidge is proud of this new boat but more thought should have been involved in the boats layout. Maybe next time they will go out and ask questions of actual owners or prospective G3 buyers prior to the new design process.

Eat, Sleep, Hunt & Fish

2010 Tracker Tournament V18 18' 3"
    Mercury 115 Optimax, Mercury Spitfire X7 Prop 19P
    Minn Kota 70b Thrust Maxxum
    6 inch CMC Pro Hi-Jacker
    Lowrance Elite 7 TI (Bow)
    Lowrance HDS7 GEN 3 Touch (Console)
    Smartcraft Merc Monitor (Basic)

Quote Originally Posted by krr6581 View Post
    Yeah, I have to agree. I watched this video earlier this week and just wasn't impresed. The rod locker in this boat is terrible. First of all is the tow latches which will make it a PITA to open to get a rod out. Also not really impressed with the interior of the large front storage locker. You cannot store anything flat in the storage compartment because of the V in the bottom of it. So items stored will want to gravitate toward the center of the storage compartment. I know Scott Turnidge is proud of this new boat but more thought should have been involved in the boats layout. Maybe next time they will go out and ask questions of actual owners or prospective G3 buyers prior to the new design process.
    Well said KRR6581. It would definitely appear that the designers never spent much time fishing from a boat, but even still common sense alone would have went a long way! Just as you highlighted, only an idiot would design a rod box that takes two hands to open.
    In their defense, they designed a wonderful hull with awesome deck floor space, but seemed to run out of brainpower steam by the time they got inside.
    I may seem to be a little harsh on G3 but I am ready to buy one of these Sportsman's, and I want them to design the interior to its potential before I do. As it stands, the 17PFX is the closest despite its tiny rod storage and 90hp limitation.
    A couple of weeks ago I actually called G3 and spoke to a very nice gentleman to see if they would custom add a livewell and extra seat pedestal bases to the front of the 19 vinyl. Essentially making it a 19PFX. He told me that they don't really do any kind of customization but there would be a new 2018 version coming out soon which even he didn't seem to have much information on. It also seemed I wasn't the only one looking for this kind of setup.
    I hope they take your advice, and actually ask owners and prospective buyers how they would like the layout or options within the given space, and actually act on that info.
    The sportsman series are wonderful boats in my opinion, and this 18 with the 115 Yamaha would be the ultimate tin boat in its class, but not before the interior layout designers put the crack pipe down.
    I'm praying they take another look at this particular model really soon, once corrected and offered in a PFX model, I want one bad! And would snap one up immediately.
    Last edited by LuckyCharm; 02-27-2017 at 07:27 PM.
    Rob Kenny
    Weatherford, TX
    Bass Tracker PRO16

4. Member
    I removed the factory rod holders in the rod box of My Sportsman 17 and I use rod socks. I can store plenty now without getting all tangled up.

Quote Originally Posted by Datkins View Post
    I removed the factory rod holders in the rod box of My Sportsman 17 and I use rod socks. I can store plenty now without getting all tangled up.
    Thats a good fix for the 17, or any model for that matter. I just think there's potential for a lot more storage, especially on the 18 and upwards. Just look at the 18' Crestliner crappie boat.
    I know the Sportsman 17s are selling like hot cakes in both regular and PFX. Other than a 115 motor, the new 18 doesn't really seem to offer anything over the regular 17.
    Rob Kenny
    Weatherford, TX
    Bass Tracker PRO16