Thread: Crappie rods?

Crappie rods?

Pretty much bass fish exclusively, but wanting some meat and figure crappie is the way. Wanting to get couple of rods for us . I guess length and action is what I'm not knowledgeable about. Or direct me where I need to look, thanks

2. Banned
    Depends how your gonna fish? For trolling I use BnM Pro Staff rods. For Jigging I use a BnM bucks ultralite with the bottom reel seat. BnM is the best rod for the money.

3. Member
    No trolling, thanks for info

4. Member
    I mostly cast. For that I usually use a light power rod with a somewhat fast action tip. If I were to be shooting I would want a fast action tip. Some go with UL, some with ML. The power necessary is dependant on the line lb test using and the wt of the lures. The action is then the bend or play in the rod. For length, I like at least 6', up to 7. Jigging is another story altogether. The only trolling for me is moving from pile to pile and I just drag whatever I have on.

5. Member
    I crappie fish quite often and cast about 90% of the time with a 1/32 Oz jig on 4# test line. The rod is a G. Loomis 661 and a smaller Pflugerville reel.

I do shot docks some and use a shooter rod with and underpin reel. Check out grizzlyjigs.com for this one.

Good luck.

6. Member
    Thanks

7. Member
    Quantum EXO Tour 6'8" med is super rod for deep crappie on 1/16oz jigs, it's extremely light with an extra fast tip but has enough backbone to stick a fish in 25+ feet of water.

8. Member
    I actually use my bass rods lol. I have a Falcon Lowrider20 Drop shot rod that is 6'9" light with fast taper 6-10lb line and 1/8-3/8 lure ratings but it serves me well. I just recently picked up a Falcon Cara Squirrel Tail 7' medium fast action 6-14 1/6-1/4 and caught some sockales no problem with it. My newest that I bought just for crappie is a Falcon Original ultra light but it's only 6', I'd like have a 7'. I played with some St. Croix Panfish Series rods at BPS the other day and liked them, if you check the crappie forums that series of rod generally get the nod by most as their favorite unless you want to step up to a G Loomis.

Personally, i prefer a 9' 4 wt.

For the spinning rods though, I like 3 sizes. For casting, a 7' that can handle 6# line. I use a slip float many times and this length works well. For vertical jigs under the transducer, a shorter stick works best. 5' or 5 1/2' light or ultra light. Keeps the jig in the cone better. I also have a couple 12' telescoping poles I tied guides on to and taped cheap ass spinning reels on the handles. I can set up back from brush and dip straight down into the branches. They're stiff enough that I can jerk the fish straight up and away from the sticks.

10. Member
    Castaway makes a panfish rod. 7 ft spinning. Awesome rod for the $.

11. Member
    St.Croix makes some really nice panfish rods in several lengths. I love my 11 foot rod!

12. Member
    My favorite crappie rod is a Johnny Morris carbonlite 5' 6"

13. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    If you are jigging or minnow fishing and have a 6'-7' ML to M, respool with 4-6# Flouro and get after it.

14. Major Flagelator Gamblinman's Avatar
    G Rods International. A very fine crappie rod.

http://g-rods.com/collections/crappie-spinning
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

15. Member
    I've still got a couple crappie rods, but don't use them anymore since getting back into fishing and going with a little better gear. Oh...you mean Crappie...as in the fish....not crappie...as in rod quality.

I have an old Berkley Lightning 6' spinning rod that I still use. Hasn't been a rating on the rod in years...if there ever was one. Carries an equally old Penn 430SS reel and 4# line on it. (Well, line isn't quite that old. ) I'd guess action is a Mod-Fast. Probably Light power. Another spinning rod I bought for panfish is the 7'2" Light Mod-Fast Fenwick River Runner rated 1/32-5/16 oz. This is a 2-piece rod. Although I like 7' or longer for casting rods, what I have found to be my personal preference in spinning rods is 6'6" or shorter.

BTW, don't pass up any perch or walleyes. Don't know if you have any pickerel in LA, but if you do, don't pass on any over 20" length. Need at least that size to make picking out the "Y" bones easier. It is a very white meat that doesn't taste "fishy". Good luck with your new endeavor.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamblinman View Post
    G Rods International. A very fine crappie rod.

http://g-rods.com/collections/crappie-spinning
    Thanks. Nice looking rods. Don't need another spinning rod, but may break down and get one of these. Never thought I'd spend that much for a Crappie rod, tho.

I use acc crappie stix have 15 plus and work amazing I have them anywhere from 7ft cast to 14ft jig