The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar

112 Fortrex on a 1999 202dc ?

I am very, very new to all of this, so please forgive and bear with me with all the questions I have now and in future.
    I'm going to get a 1999 202DC next week or so, and want to enhance appearance, upgrade electronics, and TM.
    There may also be more things needed, but right now those are priority. The Merc 200 EFI runs well.

Can someone please tell me if I can use a 36v Fortrex on my 1999, 202 without much hookup problems?
    My Phoenix is getting an Ultrex, so that leaves the 112 Fortrex.
    Can I just throw in a 3rd battery and hook up?

2. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Our family loves to help, so never worry about how many or what kind of questions you have....Ask away!!!!

Someone will be along shortly, but adding a third battery should not be a problem.

3. Member
    If your back compartment is anything like my 97 202 you can run 3 trolling motor batteries but its a tight fit, better to go with a AGM that you can put sideways. As far as the plug connection up front no one will be able to answer that question without a picture of the current situation, mine has a plug connection in the switch panel so its just a matter of buying a new plug or swapping the old one over. Also if you run 3 trolling batteries along with your starter battery and oil tank that leaves no room for things like power pole pumps or charging systems. I mounted my charging system on top of the gas tank to the right, i just JB welded some strips of wood to the gas tank for something to screw to ( just make sure the screws you use are not longer then the depth of wood its being fastened to. Good luck with your soon to be new to you 202 you'll be selling that phoenix.
    1997 Champion 202
    2001 OX66 225
    Tempest Plus 26
    Maxxum 101 LB
    Humminbird 999, 959, 999

4. Member
    I have a 1999 champ 202 DC....I would think that adding another battery in my back compartment would be impossible...Two tolling batteries, a crank battery, and my oil tank take up all there is. I installed my power pole pumps in one of the front deck rod compartments. I'll double check tomorrow when I'm back out in the garage...You will love the boat...I do....Bought it new, had it ever since.... Don't much care for anything else...

5. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    Thanks so much dor your replies. I will take a better look in back when I go for the final check on the boat tomorrow. Hope it all checks out, I'm looking forward to being a ChampioN family member.

6. Black Hills Energy Collin C.'s Avatar
    I run a 36v as does my partners, I put a Minn Kota 112 about a year ago. I ran a motorguide 36v before that.
    You can get all 4 batteries in there, but with a normal sized oil tank you will have to put it on top over the batteries. The aluminum tray that sits below the batteries will have to be cut down around the lip so that it sets lower. This will give clearance for oil tank to set in top of batteries. Only issue is to make sure you have a barrier between batteries top and oil tank bottom. Plywood will work, but I use different type of rubber material, actuality an old high voltage elec blanket that lineman will use to create a barrier on high voltage lines.

I used the facory wiring , but I did have to upgrade factory fuse for the 112.
    Bass Cat
    Eyra 300xs

7. Member
    95 202 here. 4 group 31 batt with the smaller merc oil tank.
    BILLY. 1995 202DCX ELITE TEAM FATBOY
    & 2000 tracker PT185
    2015 Fish count
    Days on the Water =5.
    Big fish 1-5.5
    Big fish 2-5.00000
    Big fish 3-4.0
    Big fish 4-3.0smallmouth
    Big fish 5-@2.50

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLY View Post
    95 202 here. 4 group 31 batt with the smaller merc oil tank.

I'd love to see the back of these boats and how you were able to fit four batteries in them.
    I've got a 202 and can't imagine getting 4 batteries. Between the three in the back, charger and oil tank, there is no space.

Thanks.

9. Member
    If a fellow had the money two 36 v lithiums would work I would think. Salty though!

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rboren View Post
    If a fellow had the money two 36 v lithiums would work I would think. Salty though!
    The thought of adding Lithiums to my boat (2000 - 202DC ) sort of makes me cringe... That said, the boat sits so low in the water since I've added the two 12' Talons that I'd not only gain from going from a 24-36V, but I'd be able to offset some of the additional weight. Decisions decisions...

Of course, the boat is in great shape and the cost of batteries is nothing compared to the cost of replacing a boat. I may justify my actions this way :)

11. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    Thought about 36v lithiums. Thats the best answer, but out of my league for now.

12. Black Hills Energy Collin C.'s Avatar
    Photbucket doent like me right now, I'll try to get a pic off computer sometime.
    Last edited by Collin C.; 01-03-2017 at 01:57 PM.
    Bass Cat
    Eyra 300xs

13. Member
    Get AGM and your 3rd battery sits on its side while the other two sit the correct way, not pretty but it works for me.
    Last edited by shimanostud; 01-02-2017 at 09:31 PM.
    1997 Champion 202
    2001 OX66 225
    Tempest Plus 26
    Maxxum 101 LB
    Humminbird 999, 959, 999