Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hospital food sucks!!!

At least this one does. Wife is getting induced today. Tried some breakfast. I now distinctly remember why last time she got induced we ate out pretty much every day for the two days we were here. It seems hard to screw up a breakfast? Come to find out they cook it all in a central location and ship to all of the in network hospitals via truck. On the bright side at least I found a channel that is currently playing fishing shows.

2. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    Congrats on the new child

Congratulations, don't sweat the small stuff....or next time bring an MRE.

4. Banned
    Thanks for the tip. What hospital so I know where not to take my date?

Congrats by by the way.

I went through 4 back operations. Private hospital ( owned by 16 surgeons)--- food was outstanding. Pick up the phone order anything you want from 6AM -9PM

6. Member
    Congrats on the new kid hospital by me has the best bacon I've ever had haha

Congrats.

Last year at the heart hospital the food was excellent. I could order mine and one for a visitor. No complaints. Good stuff. They were kicking me out and I asked if they would wait until I had lunch. They did.

8. Member
    Last time I was in the hospital I refused to eat their food. The dietician came to see me about it and I told her that stuff wasn't fit for a dog and not to send me anymore of it my wife would get me some real food. I never ate any of their garbage can tray food.
    Rocket

9. Member
    When people are an ******* about not getting any of the food, I'm happy to oblige. I'm also happy to document the behavior and attitude. So are the nurses. Things like that get looked at when it comes time rehab placement or short term nursing home placement. You'll find it more difficult to get into the "nicer" places, or places that are closer to home.
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    "If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
    -David Daye

10. Member
    Wow! We are fortunate I guess in that our local Sentara medical center also has the order anything anytime while you are there and it was all really good and everyone gets a private room and bath. My favorite was their meat loaf dinners. .Only time I was ever hospitalized and was surprised at how nice it was.

11. Member
    I have had a few stays and it depended on the food. Some was good, some was not. Makes you appreciate getting out much more. We can complain about it, but we should be thankful because it could be much worse especially if you or loved one doesn't make it out of the hospital (been there too).
    Praying for a Cure

On the other hand, my wife spent four months in the hospital back in 2003. All her food for the first 3 months came from a bag hanging above her bed through a tube straight into her stomach. It's all relative.

13. Member
    My father spent a good part of the last year of his life in Nash General Hospital in Rocky Mount ,NC. They serve food that is just as good as you can get in most any restaurant.Also I was in Rex Hospital in Raleigh,NC for seven days following extensive spinal surgery two years ago,their food was very good as well. They had the 24/7 ordering,anything anytime. So kudos to both of them.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wildturkey View Post
    I have had a few stays and it depended on the food. Some was good, some was not. Makes you appreciate getting out much more. We can complain about it, but we should be thankful because it could be much worse especially if you or loved one doesn't make it out of the hospital (been there too).
    Amen!!

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1781ccT View Post
    When people are an ******* about not getting any of the food, I'm happy to oblige. I'm also happy to document the behavior and attitude. So are the nurses. Things like that get looked at when it comes time rehab placement or short term nursing home placement. You'll find it more difficult to get into the "nicer" places, or places that are closer to home.
    I'm not sure I follow you here. Are you saying that you blacklist people who complain about the food?

16. Member
    I have never spent a day in the hospital in my life, " knock on wood", but my wife had some surgery done a couple years ago and I tried the food they served and it was o.k., not much seasoning on it but with a little salt and pepper most of it was edible.
    1987 Ranger 373V 150 Yamaha proV still going strong.

17. Member
    When hospitals charge the ridiculous amounts of money, I would say you have the the right to complain it's not like their giving you that meal for free,or out of the kindness of their heart. With that being said the Healthcare professionals are not to blame, but I'd bet bet a single hospital meal prolly costs you as much as the best steakhouse. I was told by a family member who is a hospital administrator take the food cause your gonna pay for it regardless.

18. Member
    I run a food and nutrition program in FL. If your not getting great food in the room it's time to look for a new hospital! Our leadership looks at the entire experience and expects it to be enjoyable. I'm sorry your not having a good experience.

The school lunch programs for our children are just as bad. My grandchildren won't as much as touch it.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HookedonBass View Post
    I'm not sure I follow you here. Are you saying that you blacklist people who complain about the food?
    Nope, not saying that at all. The patient is doing it to themselves. Healthcare professionals simply document what happened when they interacted with their patients ("if it isn't documented, it didn't happen"). Other facilities, when deciding whether to accept that person into their care, review the medical record to determine whether they can meet that prospective patient's needs. Part of those needs include psychosocial. The accepting facility may choose to not accept the person based on many factors, with their negative and abusive behavior being part of that decision. The downside of that, for the facility who is needing to transition the patient to another facility to further their care (higher level care, rehab, long term acute care, nursing home, etc) the other facilities can choose to not accept the patient. In my example, the patient would wind up having to stay in our facility for longer than usual...because nobody else would take them. I can assure you, we'd much rather avoid being stuck with people that are jerks and treat us terribly.
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    "If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
    -David Daye

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast