Thread: hydro foil

hydro foil

i have a '86 135 black max on a 82 ranger 375v ( 18' ) looking to change the old whale tail to maybe a stingray or se sport 300 ... i have a ss 25 pitch prop on the motor also, and i'm thinking of upgrading that to maybe a four blade... tempest - trophy or other ? - looking for thoughts on the best foil / prop combo, or better recommendations ... boat is sluggish out of the hole and planing, but eventually will ride nice and go about 52 - 54 mph... also could be more responsive turning

2. Member
    ok then

3. Member
    first of all a 25 pitch prop is massive for a 2.0 liter mtr bet rpms are low/ load the boat like you use it live wells persons and gear fuel then then prop it to 58-5900 wot in cool weather /boat shouldn't need foil if set up right/ hope this helps joe
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Member
    thanks joe ...i'm thinking about a 4 blade 23 pitch ... do you think the old flat whale tail currently on there is a negative for my boat ?

5. Banned
    What are the RPM's at top speed?
    I agree; 25" is a lot of prop for a 150.

6. Member
    i vaguely remember about 55-5600 ...i've been working out bugs because it's old and needed work so i really haven't pushed it ... i'm somewhat new to outboard boating and have been gentle with it until i get more experience , and until i feel confident that it's running right... i'm learning as i go about wot and props,( along with everything else) ...i catch on quick, and i can say that this forum has taught me so much more than i knew in march, and the boat is in pretty good running condition now

7. Member
    I'm just not a fan of foils on a bass boat [patch for a problem]/I just know that a 2.0 liter mtr in the summer loaded will struggle probly with a good 23 trophy light might be ok you could try it and see though
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

8. Member
    my cavitation plate is currently about even with the keel and i'm wondering how lifting the motor one hole affects hole shots, and what works better at a higher setting , a 3 blade prop, or a 4 blade ,and should prop diameter be less or more - 13.75 " vs. 14.5" for example

9. Member
    quality props of either dia.would work well if 3 blade is your choice I would stay in 14dia range/ trophy 4 blades 13.75 small hubs work well,sounds like mtr is too low/ this will change every thing

10. Member
    i went out and looked, center of prop shaft looks to be about 4.5 " or more below pad, so i'll move it up - probably two holes and try a trophy plus 23...i'm sure that i'm wrong on my guess at the rpms also... should be a huge difference based on what i've been researching - that's a lot for the help

First of all, a 25P is not that far off. The 135s typically have 2.0 gear cases instead of the 1.87 that most people are used to seeing on similar 150s. I think a 23 Trophy will be way too little. Get a good 24 or 25P Trophy or 25Bravo XS. As far as foils go, I'd get a foil from CBailey. His look great and work better.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

12. Member
    Without a jack plate on that old 375 I wouldn't raise it two holes, one maybe but not 2.

13. Member
    i'm planning on a jack plate, but don't know what size or if i'm even limited to size....was gonna study up on them - figured a six inch would be fine, but if it's a case of more is better....

14. Member
    6 or 8 either should be fine no more

15. Member
    Just remember that adding a jack plate may require new steering and possible throttle and shift cables. It depends on how much slack is there now. It is a cost that is often overlooked when making this decision.

You also need to make sure you have good water pressure when you start raising the motor.

16. Member
    I have a 6 inch jackplate on my 17'6" champion and my cables reached and i would think a 6 inch plate on your 18 foot boat would be about right...im spinning a 25M(3 blade) on my 1995 135 at 5600 @ 63 gps mph...i had a 23 pitch trophy on my boat and would spin that 6300 rpms.
    Bruce Phillips
    1995 190 DC champion ......1995 200 xri merc

17. Member
    Bruce, your boat sounds a lot like where i'm at...i learned a lot this week...every comment in this thread has been great info - i appreciate it very much...so i'm thinking 6" jack plate, 24 trophy , c bailey foil if i need one, and 3.5" below pad looks like a good starting point... i started this thread asking about a foil when i probably should have been in props !!
    Last edited by ranger1882; 01-10-2017 at 09:51 AM.