XB 2003 shoot thru location.

I just pulled the access plate off in front of the livewell. There was a huge wad of stuff wrapped around the wires and transducer cable. After getting it all cleaned out I see a little black tray down in the bottom of the boat. Is this factory? I'm thinking I could put a tranducer in there with something to hold it in place, put water in the black tray and check for proper placement of the transducer before using epoxy.

2. Member
    Its factory and that is what it is for.

Xb2003 - 300xs
    100+ mph club

3. Member
    That's the spot. I just replaced mine. I didn't go nuts with the leveling. mixed the putty and pushed the new one in... Once I felt it was firmly placed, I checked it with a small level, (after leveling the boat on the trailer) for it close and placed a couple Bricks on it until it was cured.
    btw I'm running an 03 with 225pm freshly rebuilt and so far I've ran her up to 87 with more left.. I'm still learning my Allison but you should see upper 80's no problem!

4. Member
    I might add if there's old epoxy in there clean it out good!! It's a bitch but crucial for the new one..

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Promax5184 View Post
    I might add if there's old epoxy in there clean it out good!! It's a bitch but crucial for the new one..
    How did you get the old epoxy out? Hammer and chisel, dremel?
    John Wolff
    2003 Allison XB21 2+2
    2003 Mercury 250xs

6. Member
    But the little black tray is factory and I mount the transducer inside it?

The problem with putting it there is after you get on plane and running free it is out of the water. Mount it in the back under the front of the gas tank for better performance.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by big_o_tom View Post
    Yesh the black tray is frm the factory. And like kdawg said you will loose signal at high speed, for me I believe it's around 60. Personally if I'm doing 60+ I'm not worried bout a bottom reading though. That's just me everyone has a preference.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwolff View Post
    How did you get the old epoxy out? Hammer and chisel, dremel?
    It was a bitch!! Although mine someone used silicone.. There was a small amount of epoxy underneath the old one which I sanded out by hand with 60 or so grit sand paper.. Long sleeves cuz your forearm will be rubbing the raw fiberglass of the hatch opening.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by K-DAWG View Post
    The problem with putting it there is after you get on plane and running free it is out of the water. Mount it in the back under the front of the gas tank for better performance.
    If you're running faster than 35 mph watching the graph for structure, keep the nose laid down.
    On all my Allison's, I've had the transducer mounted in the stock tray and was able to see depth all the way into the upper 50's if I kept the boat flat.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by big_o_tom View Post
    Yes

12. Member
    anyone got any pictures of this plate. ive been wanting to put a shoot through transducer in but want to put it in correctly

13. Member
    For the 21's it has been hypothesized that the keel protector causes a disturbance that makes the transducers lose bottom around 45mph but without keel protector bottom is not lost until 60ish.

I did not know you could mount the transducers farther back. I have seen posts where something with the boat build up that the only place transducers worked was in the tray. Glad to know that is untrue. I might have to move mine back farther. I hate losing bottom under 50mph.
    John Wolff
    2003 Allison XB21 2+2
    2003 Mercury 250xs

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwolff View Post
    For the 21's it has been hypothesized that the keel protector causes a disturbance that makes the transducers lose bottom around 45mph but without keel protector bottom is not lost until 60ish.

I did not know you could mount the transducers farther back. I have seen posts where something with the boat build up that the only place transducers worked was in the tray. Glad to know that is untrue. I might have to move mine back farther. I hate losing bottom under 50mph.
    Let's hear from those guys who have put the transducer further back as suggested in the post. How did that work out for you and on an XB2003, exactly where did you position it?

I put it on the port side of the bilge support that's bilge running for and aft. It worked just fine. I used a slow set epoxy to glue it down with. It was a bear to get out when I went to a different brand fish finder. Now I don't have any shoot thru hull transducers besides the flasher transducer that's in the trey behind the cover in front of the live well. I have a bird SI transducer on the jackplate.

16. Moderator
    It shouldn't work anywhere but in the tray since there is coring in every part of the bottom other than in the tray. Maybe the coring is solid enough to work, I never tried it personally.

My worked there...