First time boat owner

Im in the process of buying my first boat a 2002 triton tr21 with a 2002 yamaha vmax ox66 anyone have some tips on maintenance for boat and motor i posted on yamaha forums also so i hope to get alot of input. The motor has a new lower unit with a 3year warranty. And im getting it in a southern state and bringing it to minnesota so i want to know what i have to get ready for colder temps. I want to make sure i get all of the water out from my test drive. Dont want anything to freeze. Thanks guys

Take it to a reputable Yamaha dealer and get the compression checked, lower unit serviced, impeller replaced, all filters changed, plugs, etc. Unless you totally trust the guy who sold it to you, or if from a dealer, if they assure you all that has been done. Getting the water out is just a matter of letting the engine down from tilt to level and letting it drain. UNLESS you have water in the lower unit, which is why the service on the LU should be done. Then you know. Will cost you a few bucks, but at least you'll know you're starting from a good place.
    BassCat '17 Sabre DC FTD Advantage Elite
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80

Im getting it from a dealer. They are going to do a compression check when i pick it up.

4. Member
    After you test drive it, tell them to make certain it's again ready for below freezing temps. Winter's not over yet. It's zero degrees here in NY this morning

5. Member
    Definitly compression test. Are you going to pick the boat up yourself? Then make sure the trailer brakes work and your tires are inflated properly. When I bought my boat and brought it back three hours I realized about an hour out the tires looked a little low which when i got home and checked them they were way low. Also I didn't realize one of my brake lines was broke so I had no trailer brakes at all. Ask about when the wheel bearings were re-packed would suck to have one go out on the way back home.
    2003 Skeeter ZX200

6. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    One thing to make sure if its from the deep south, make sure the thermostats are installed. Had a friend by one from FL and brought it to MD and took it out in January so water was maybe 40 degrees. Started down the river and had a major detonation. Turns out the FL guy took the thermostats out because he always fished warmer water. Never bothered to mention it during the sale....

7. Member
    Leak down test.