Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Does size really matter with a boat?

Is there really a difference from a 18ft boat to a 21ft boat for fishing. I know for rough water bigger is better.

I just traded in my 18' Nitro for the 21' Z21. I know I'm going to miss the smaller boat for smaller bodies of water and shallows.
    I've been in a 21' and when it comes to fishing a couple anglers up front a 21' is AWESOME! and like you mentioned, rough, bigger bodies of water they're a plus!
    Another thing to keep in mind is the cost difference. I told my wife this boat would probably be my last. LOL

3. Member
    Yes....definite difference in handling and "fish ability". Most will tell you to get with friends and fish from their boats and see what you like best at your budget.

4. Member
    Storage is also a huge difference. I have a 22ft rig and I can put twice the gear I could carry in my 18ft rig. Also it is much more weight distribution friendly, I don't move anything around when running solo or double which I had to in my 18.

Thanks for the input guys. How about difference from a 20 to 21 footer?

6. Member
    20-21 isn't as noticeable. The 18.5-20 is a big leap though. I went from a 18'2" to a 19'8" and it was night and day with how they handle and the speed differences in those boats.

My 20' boat will go as skinny if not skinnier than the same company's 18.5'. It's heavier but has more displacement given its length. A bigger boat costs more to tow, more in batteries and maybe more for a bigger trolling motor and fuel. I agree 18.5-20 huge jump. 20-21 not so much.

Having a larger boat comes with tradeoffs. I think the 19 foot boats are the perfect balance but that's just me.

9. Member
    All my fishing buddies pushed me to get a 19 foot boat instead of a 18 footer and I'm glad I did. More power and lots better in rough water.

I'm in a 17 foot tin boat and while I love it, storage is trash.

I went from an 18'2" boat to a 20'9" boat and noticed a significant difference. Better rough water ride, better storage, deck space, and the boat sits flatter and draws less water. Also, for some reason I'm better at maneuvering a double axle trailer than the single axle.
    2019 Phoenix 21PHX / 250 Mercury Pro XS 4 Stroke

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dcl20x3 View Post
    I went from an 18'2" boat to a 20'9" boat and noticed a significant difference. Better rough water ride, better storage, deck space, and the boat sits flatter and draws less water. Also, for some reason I'm better at maneuvering a double axle trailer than the single axle.
    Double axles don't respond as fast and just easier to back. Going from my tandem boat trailer to the short utility trailer for the atv makes me look like a dumby the first couple trips out.

13. Member
    19'8 is the sweet spot for me. Couldn't find one so I went with 206. At some point you don't need the extra space.
    2005 206
    BRP 225 H.O. (E225DHLSOF)
    Fury 4 24p @ 5,750 fully loaded

14. Member
    18'6 works great for me cause that's what I can afford and that's what fits in my garage. Plus I didn't have to finance it for 15 years!

15. Member
    Size will always matter. Performance goes hand in hand as well as expense as well... 21 ft. for a bass boat in most cases is not necessarily the best all around length. I prefer my 20ft Skeeter ZX 225 over any boat I have ever owned...and have owned several from aluminum to glass from 14 ft to 22 ft.... Different hull designs are out there for different fishing preferences and all have advantages and disadvantages dependent upon the type of fishing that you choose to partake in and the vast difference in bodies of water that you choose to do it in...or the lack of when you only have a few lakes to choose from. You won't notice much handling difference between a 20ftr and a 21ftr...in most cases the storage is larger and the hull is mostly the same design...just a bit longer. Tandem axle trailers with torsion options are the best to make a long run with...and they are pretty commonly packaged with 20 and 21's... I would not pull my boat on a single axle leaf spring trailer personally as I have become spoiled with the tandem torsion axle trailer over the years. If you have the choice, always max out the horse power when you buy...its less stress on the motor and better fuel economy at higher speed. Personally, anything less than 20ft. is too small for me and my style of fishing and where I frequently go...a 19 ftr may work just fine for you, but no smaller or you'll be wanting a bigger one before you know it in most cases...Hope this helps!

My inlaws have a place on a lake thats only about 500 acres so i will spend most of my time there. But i love to musky fish and Mille Lacs Lake is only about seven miles from the cabin so i want a boat that will handle the big lake.And i plan to have 3 people in the boat fishing. I know a multi species boat would be better for musky fishing but i dont troll i only cast for musky and bass.

I wouldn't say multi specie boats are better for musky. I am not in a disability at all musky fishing. Only less comfortable for 3/4 people. The nasty water may benefit fishing out of a ms boat but not running. I did a musky tourney on leech with my 20' nitro. And we went out in the rough stuff and we were dry, others were very very wet in there deep v boats.... That said I did feel "safer" in my warrior but honestly I probably wasn't.

18. Member
    I went from a 19.5 Stratos to a Phoenix 921 huge difference. Me and my son were cramped both fishing on front deck of the Stratos. Three people can fish off front of Phoenix

19. Member
    My wife says there is a MAJOR difference!
    1997 STRATOS 285 PE EVINRUDE INTRUDER 175

20. Member
    I have a 17' 8" Ranger, it's what fits in my garage with about 1" to spare. I'm a smaller guy and it fits me and the wife fine. But, when one of my 6'3" buddies yeah along, it's pretty tight. Storage isn't what a 19 or 20 boat has, but it's also better than aluminum in the same size range. This is my first boat and I can see getting a later boat once we have kids, but I doubt I pass the 19' mark. My friends 198 Champion is about as big as I can see us needing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast