Down imaging and fish

Ive started doing a little bit of dropping to bass and having a pretty good bit of success but ive got a lot to learn. Up front im running a helix10 di with transom mount transducer mounted to trolling motor. Running di on 455 and 2d on 200. This transducer isnt capable of 83/200. Having much more success with the di screen at picking out fish. I know its chunking a wider beam than the 2d but my question is are fish returns on di more clear when the fish is directly under the boat and weaker when further out to the side? whenever i see a "bright" fish i catch it. I get other returns that are the same size( or length rather) and oriented to the bottom the same way but that are thinner and less defined. I dont catch these. Hoping an expert can help me out. Thanks
    Paul

2. Member
    Catch these
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Paul

3. Member
    Interested in this topic as well. I just installed a Helix 10 at the bow but I traded the transom transducer in through their exchange program for the TM mounted transducer capable of 83/200. With the new update adding SwitchFire to imaging I can see my bait fall on DI just like on 2D with both being on MAX mode. I haven't had much success yet but I'm new to these lakes and just starting the vertical "video game" fishing.

4. Member
    Any Sonar beam is strongest along its "Main Axis" ...and attenuates (lessens in water) the farther the pulse travels away from the Main Axis and away from the xducer ...

So yes, it is feasible that a target closer to directly under boat (which is where the Main Axis would be pointing in a DI fan beam) could give a brighter return ...

Here's the beam form for the right SI ... imagine a similar beam form pointing straight down for a DI fan beam ...

-----
    -----

This is the same concept where some vertical jig fishermen watch the colors on the 2d image fish targets to determine when the target is closest to the center of the Sonar cone (where the 2d cone Main Axis is) ...

Doug did a great write up of this 2d scenario called "Going Red" ...
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=273514

Rickie
    Last edited by rnvinc; 12-12-2016 at 09:14 AM.

5. Member
    Watch josh and seths "webinar". Theres a thread on it in the other humminbird thread. They show tons of screenshots about fish on DI. And teach all about it.