Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    I'd jump on that Kubota, with the Deere a close 2nd
    26hp will bush hog all day, if in doubt drop to the 4 footer

Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    I stand corrected
    you were right the first time

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

I bought a new JD 1025R last year - Loader / Backhoe / mower deck / snowblower and a trailer to haul it on.. All new it was 28k - best 28 grand I ever spent!! If I had 11 acres to maintain I would probably buy a 2 Series (2025R) just to have a bit more tractor.. I can tell you my 1025 (25hp) handles a 5ft brushhog without any problems but you need the loader or suitcase weights in the front to offset the weight. I have a 4ft BrushHog I use without the loader on with no issues - even in 6ft high brush. I would not hesitate to buy a 1 Series or equivalent for what you are doing.

I grew up on a dairy farm around big equipment (Steiger & IH for example) and had a yanmar 1802D for years that was a fine tractor but not Hydro (which I highly recommend) and it did not have independent PTO - which is mandatory in my mind.. John Deere or Kubota are the two I would consider.. Both have diesel engines that will last forever (JD is the yanmar 3 cylinder) and the 1 or 2 Series JD or B series (BX is too small) Kubotas are perfect - don't under estimate them because of their size - you'll be surprised!!

I have seen JD and Kubotas with loaders in the $8500.00 range, stay away from 2WD and older "cast iron" tractors unless your into vintage stuff - they will do the job but not near as efficiently as the newer sub-compacts..

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdude View Post
    The small tractors are really handy for small jobs. When you start bushhogging and pulling a disc, you will want the bigger tractor.
    What he said for sure. The Kubota looks too small. Farmtrac is out. I have an '86 Ford 1510, and I have worked it hard since I got it in 03. Only thing I have replaced is the starter, belt, and filters. The Deere would be a good choice. The Case would be my choice (bigger is better) if it weren't for snow removal. I don't deal with snow so I don't know how a 2WD tractor behaves in the snow.

2WD tractor with a loader on the front in snow = YOU GO NOWHERE.. At a minimum you need chains and possibly rear wheel weights.. There is a reason used 2WD tractors don't sell very well....
    Scott

2022 Phoenix 21 PHX
    Solix & Helix w/ Mega Live
    MinnKota Ultrexx 36v 112
    Power Poles

5. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Something to consider are the package finance deals Kubota will throw you for a new tractor. Sometimes it's cheaper than lightly used and you pick implements you want. Don't know how often, but 0% is common. Buddy of mine is a grave digger and the local dealer usually has such good deals he trades every few years. A 3 year old L series sells close to new if it's used lightly
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by larryhyco View Post
    I have a John Deere 5055E and my recommendation is make sure you get either one of the 2 with 4x4.
    The J D's of the late 90's and early 2000 are some great machines. Not as fond of the newer ones. Same with the Ferds that age.

7. Member
    Depends on your usage, as pretty much all have stated. Though the Kubota is small is seems to work pretty well plus from what you've written, it only has 287 hrs. It's not even broke in good. That being said, diesel tractors, if even slightly taken care of will run forever. Also consider, can you get parts close by and if you need to transport it, do you have the necessary truck and trailer. Just thoughts!
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4

8. Member
    I have a BX Kubota that I use for snow removal, moving my boat and trailer around the yard, moving firewood, mowing and about anything else you could use a tractor for. It's not big enough, heavy enough and is lacking in power. I suggest going bigger. It's a great tractor, but not enough.

9. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    BTW, do you have an ATV?

If so, I'd go with the Case and get a blade for the ATV to do the drive when it snows.
    nothing else matters.​

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    BTW, do you have an ATV?

If so, I'd go with the Case and get a blade for the ATV to do the drive when it snows.
    I have an ATV, but it's an old '98 model Arctic Cat and trying to retrofit a blade on there isn't quite as easy as it sounds. Looked into it once, and just trying to fit a winch on there is no easy feat. It's like a double-whammy, not only is it an old model but it's also a "weird" ATV of it's time as it's one of the earliest Arctic Cat ATVs made. I can find motor parts all day long as it's an incredibly reliable Suzuki 500 engine, but finding stuff to fit on the frame is a nightmare, especially when it comes to accessories like a winch and snow blade.

11. Banned
    I don't own one but my father is on his fifth Kubota (keeps trading them in never wears one out) and knowing how hard he is on equipment if I ever buy one I wouldn't even think of looking at anything else.

12. Member
    I have the Kubota 2660 with loader and 60 inch mowing deck. Awesome tractor, you would be surprised how much you can move with the loader. Mine has turf tires and I was very surprised how good it went in snow. I don't know anything about the others but would highly recommend the Kubota.

It was a real struggle for me deciding between John Deere and Kubota, they are both awesome machines... Ultimately it was the quick disconnect backhoe combined with a great JD dealer that sealed the deal for me.. I ended up getting 0% financing on the entire package and took a year to pay it off. My only regret was waiting so many years before I bought it !
    Scott

2022 Phoenix 21 PHX
    Solix & Helix w/ Mega Live
    MinnKota Ultrexx 36v 112
    Power Poles

14. Member
    I'd roll with the 4x4 Deere

Here is my thought currently have 3 tractors at clubhouse. Ford 641 ford 2000 and a mahindra 3510 hydro. The mahindra has a loader and is 4x4. As mentioned earlier the hydro 4 wheel drive is the way to go. I would go with the Deere with your listed choices.
    i really enjoy using the 641 as it was purchased new by an uncle. I use it to plow and disc my food plots.
    Enjoying life in Southern Illinois

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by smp005 View Post
    2WD tractor with a loader on the front in snow = YOU GO NOWHERE.. At a minimum you need chains and possibly rear wheel weights.. There is a reason used 2WD tractors don't sell very well....
    Older model cast iron tractors were most often 2 wheel drive units, and they always have the rear tires calcified. Many owners will pour a chunk of concrete that's on the 3 point hitch for additional weight if really heavy lifting is required. And many will have a spear on each end--handling two 1500 pound round bales at a time. They handled all weather just fine, and they will scoop and actually lift a full bucket of gravel. You cannot say that with most compact tractors that are 2 wd or 4 wd.

The few older cast iron tractors with 4wd really have extreme pushing strength. I've seem'em climb a gravel mound like a billy goat. And if you don't have a Westendorf or high quality OEM loader, they'll easily break and tear up lesser agloaders. They're really work horses. But so is the Case 685.

FYI: Case had to divest themselves of their German tractor factory making 50-110 hp cast iron tractors when they merged with New Holland (CNH). Now, the Case cast iron tractors are McCormick Tractors. They're a great tractor for a fair price--vs. the other major tractor manufacturers. I especially like their MX110's for heavy hay baling.

17. Member
    I give the nod to the JD 4200 but only by a hair over the Kubota and mainly for the ground clearance. You'll need rear chains to move much snow (why ag tires in front and turf tires in back anyway?). The Kubota is a very close second and only because those little subcompacts are little more than beefed up garden tractors IMHO. The wheels are tiny, more likely to get mired in mud and snow. That said, if it was strictly for use around the yard, I'd vote for the Kubota due to age and low hours plus the belly mower. Either should turn a 4' hog no problem at about an acre an hour, a little faster if it's thin grass

18. Banned
    Something to consider are the package finance deals Kubota will throw you for a new tractor. Sometimes it's cheaper than lightly used and you pick implements you want.
    Looks like $16,000 to $18,000 for that option, 0% Financing available, but it's not what I really want to do. Would rather find a good used one that suits my needs and pay cash for it. I've pretty well talked myself out of the BX2660, I just don't think it has enough weight to be enjoyable bush hogging and pulling a disc around and such.

I love the Case 685 but at nearly 7,000 lbs I think it's just too much.

Really leaning towards trying to find a John Deere 4300 or 4310 based on the comments I've gotten here. The 1.5L 3 cylinder diesel seems to be the best choice in all the tractors I've researched, putting out about 32 hp, and is offered in many many different makes of tractors. If I went the Kubota route, I think I'd be looking for a L2900.

Thank you all for the input!

19. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    If you see anything in SW Indiana or SE Illinois you want checked out, let me know can try to take enough of a look you'd know whether it was worth the trip yourself.

I tractor shopped for close to a year. Auctionzip.com, Searchtempest, Tractorhouse and eBay. Ended up buying on eBay.
    nothing else matters.​

20. Banned
    If you see anything in SW Indiana or SE Illinois you want checked out, let me know can try to take enough of a look you'd know whether it was worth the trip yourself.

I tractor shopped for close to a year. Auctionzip.com, Searchtempest, Tractorhouse and eBay. Ended up buying on eBay.
    Thanks! Will keep that in mind. I'm itching to get started on some brush cleanup and such, but that can wait, I've got some time until I'll actually need it. Can borrow one if I have to, but hate to do that too many times.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast