Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Banned

Question Tractor Selection?

I recently bought a house with 11 acres; about 3 acres of yard (have a zero turn for this part already), 2 acres of woods, and the remaining 6 is pasture.

I need to buy a used tractor and have a budget of about $8,500

My needs for it will be maintaining the gravel drive, snow removal, moving a little bit of dirt here and there, brush cleanup, bush hogging the pasture a couple of times a year, dragging a disc around if I choose to plant a sunflower patch or clover food plot, and so on.

The dilemma I'm having is choosing between heavier older tractors with a loader, or going with newer hydrostatic type tractors with a loader but are a lot lighter...pricing seems about the same on the used market. The old tractors would be more than I'd ever need, but the smaller ones might be a bit easier to maneuver. Just not sure which way to go.

Option 1

Farmtrac 60 tractor and Dunham ler 22 loader diesel 1789hrs power steering live pto live hyd daul remotes, 49 engine hp - $7850
    FarmTrac60 with loader - 7850.jpg

Option 2
    Case IH 685 with quick attach loader, 60 hp, diesel, good rubber, runs great - $7900
    Case IH 685 - 7900.jpg

Option 3
    Ford 1710. With Ford 770b loader. A little over 1300 hours. 12 speed forward transmission 4 speed in reverse. Like new tires. Diesel, 26 engine horsepower. 23 pto. 540 pto - $8400
    Ford 1710 with loader - 8400.jpg

Option 4
    2011 Kubota BX 2660 4X4, 267 hours, w/loader and belly mower, diesel, 26 engine hp - $8900
    2011 Kubota BX 2660 4X4 - 8900.jpg

Option 5

1999 John Deere 4200 with loader, 2821 hours, 4x4 MFWD 4WD, diesel, 26 engine hp - $8250
    John Deere 4200 - 8250.jpg

2. Member
    Kubota will sip diesel and serve you well.
    Praying for a Cure

I'd jump on that Kubota, with the Deere a close 2nd

Scooter: Nov 1998-Jul 2011
    Otis: Oct 2010-Feb 2017

4. Member
    There's no substitute for weight (loader work)and power.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    I'd jump on that Kubota, with the Deere a close 2nd
    You don't think the Kubota is too light? From what I've read, it may have 26 hp but it is never able to be utilized due to it's light weight and poor traction. It only weighs 1,400 pounds....you stick a 400 lb bush hog on the back and how is it going to handle it? That's the dilemma I'm faced with. I know the older heavier tractors will do fine, but am drawn to these lighter newer ones.

6. Banned
    Minimum listed dry weights without a loader and with minimum selected options...

Farmtrac 60 - 4,500 lbs
    Case 685 - 5,600 lbs
    Ford 1710 - 2,500 lbs
    Kubota BX2660 - 1,400 lbs
    John Deere 4200 - 2,400 lbs

I have a John Deere 5055E and my recommendation is make sure you get either one of the 2 with 4x4.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by larryhyco View Post
    I have a John Deere 5055E and my recommendation is make sure you get either one of the 2 with 4x4.
    Is that due to the rear wheels tending to lift off the ground?

9. Member
    I have a 2400 Kubota and it lifts a 580 pound tiller and runs it well. Father in law has a 2900 and it is a boss for its size. Both meet our needs. He does Bush hog and till and has the bucket.
    Praying for a Cure

10. Banned
    I'm in the same boat. Guys with experience keep telling me to get the older and heavier tractor. I don't want to work work on it , search for parts, and have to get a bigger trailer to take it for repairs if needed. I may pull the trigger on a B7800. It's a little heavier and stronger than the BX series.

11. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    There are a couple of Kubota L3400s with low hours up here that I think would be about ideal for what you are looking for. Asking price is close to $14K though. One is in West Frankfort, Illinois.

Thing about these is they hold value very well.

For snow and any kind of loader work, you want 4X4 period. When you pick up a bucket full of about anything the back wheels lose traction and the front is all you have to drive with.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

12. Member
    Kubota hands down been watching clist myself for one
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

Quote Originally Posted by Babe Winkleworm View Post
    Kubota hands down been watching clist myself for one
    Yep.

14. Banned
    I have a Ford 1710 and it's been through hell and back three times. If I ever buy another tractor, it going to have to be a hydrostatic drive of some sort. If you are going to use it a lot then the constant changing of gears sucks. Your tractors are priced pretty high there and always buy the 4x4 if you're going to do any kind of loader work for the extra traction. Mine stays in 4x4 all the time.

The loaders won't pick up much over 500lbs on the old fords 1710's.

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Paduke View Post
    Guys with experience keep telling me to get the older and heavier tractor. I don't want to work work on it , search for parts, and have to get a bigger trailer to take it for repairs if needed.
    Yep, that's the way I feel about it too. I really like that Case 685 but after you figure in the loader it's probably pushing 7,000 lbs and I have no idea how I would haul something like that. The John Deere 4200 I posted above is my favorite option due to the weight and the fact that there's a ton of attachments out there for it, but the 2800 hours might be too many and putting it due for some parts to be replaced...from what I gather John Deere parts are some of the most expensive to buy.

The Kubotas are very nice, but I just feel like I would want it to weigh at least 2200+ for slinging a bush hog around and for better traction...the L2600DT is one I'd like to find, but the closest one with a loader in my price range is down in Texas.

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    Your tractors are priced pretty high there.
    Are you taking into account the loader? I've looked at several without a loader with the intention of later adding one, a loader attachment new is about $4,000 alone!

You're lucky, tractors I've seen in Texas on TractorHouse.com are priced a bit cheaper but after my fuel expense down there and back they would end up costing me more overall.

17. Banned
    I added to my first post a little more info.

Put it this way, those tractors almost cost those prices when they were brand new. The new EPA hogwash has made the old tractors really increase in value.

18. Member
    The small tractors are really handy for small jobs. When you start bushhogging and pulling a disc, you will want the bigger tractor.
    '06 Procraft 205 Pro Mercury 225 Optimax

I'm a Kubota guy, love them, have owed 3 and have a 125 HP now. But going thru your list I would want the most HP I could get, I'd look hard at the 60hp Case. I have a friend that has a Case like that and has never had any trouble with it. Those others are awful light and not much HP.

20. Member
    Forget the Farmtrac, haven't seen much luck with those. If you want to do a lot of loader work, you want weight. The weight is for multiple reasons; one it counters your loader load, and two if the tractor has weight it has metal to support the loader work. Loaders and backhoes are stressful for a frame. Lightweight tractors have lightweight loaders and the combination tends to break with moderate or heavy use. If you ever want to move round hay bales forget the 30 or less hp tractors.

I like the Case on the list, but Kioti, Kubota, Tym, JD, and New Holland (Ford) are all good tractors.
    War Eagle Blackhawk 2170 - Suzuki 150, MG Xi5
    Lowrance HDS 7" & 9" - Twin Talon 12' Anchors

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast