Indiana Bass Club Moderator sc419795's Avatar

Cold Weather Question

Recently relocated down to Raleigh and am fortunate to live in a golf course community. Have been playing 2-3 holes about 4-5 days a week which is sweet. Over the past month+, I have noticed I am not getting nearly the distance on my shots. My driver which is normally 260-275 is flying 230-240. 5 iron normally 180-190 is 170ish. Not seeing similar issues with 9 through wedge and getting relatively same distance with these clubs.

The outside temps have been in the 50-60s during the day, 30s in the evening. Clubs are in the garage so lets say temps there are 40s. Would this cooler weather make the ball not travel as far? Using the same clubs, balls, etc. Feel the same impact as a few months ago. While I don't have a baseline, feel my swing tempo/speed is about the same. About the only variable is the temperature so starting to question if maybe that would have an impact.
    Steve
    2006 Sylvan Expedition Sport
    2006 Yamaha F150 TXR s/n 63P L 1041829

2. Member
    Yes, for two reasons. Cold clubs and cold balls make the transfer of energy less efficient so you have lower ball speed and cold air is denser than warm air so the ball will not fly as far.

3. Indiana Bass Club Moderator sc419795's Avatar
    Thanks for the reply. Was going nuts trying to figure out what the heck was going wrong. Will just have to take another club until it gets warmer.
    Steve
    2006 Sylvan Expedition Sport
    2006 Yamaha F150 TXR s/n 63P L 1041829

4. Member
    we play in Southeast Missouri most any winter day over 40 without excessive wind or snow on the ground. For the last few years I have done a lot of research in the cold weather issues. Golf balls are designed for 75 degrees +. For every ten degrees below 75, you will lose 2 to 3 yards at least. Plus you wear more clothes, making your swing different. I try to keep a few balls in the house to keep the core warm, and play with those. Plus I put the Hot Hands warmers in my pockets and switch out balls regularly to have a warmer one in use. Bottom line is, for a 140 yard shot, use at least your 150 yard club. Drives will be shorter, unless the ground is frozen I can hit some long ones then. By the way, we are a little semi private club and have our own carts with enclosures and propane heaters.

Play softer compression balls, put the ball in your pocket between holes and club up.
    Before all these softer compression balls come onto the market in the cold weather I used to play Flying Ladies because they were lower compression compared to all the 90-100 compression balls years ago.
    I think Precept started marketing the lower compression to men which started the lower compression craze. They named it Laddie for a more masculine name. Same ball as the Precept lady golf ball.
    1996 ProCraft 185 DC Pro, Mercury EFI 150

" A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

Ive been playing some here in Virginia Beach. I have noticed the same thing. From 120 yards and in, not much difference, but anything over that and im going up one club. That has been working well for
    me

8. Member
    I used to caddy as a kid and in the winter one of the assistant pros at the course used to have his caddy carry a golf ball under his arm inside his coat to keep it warm. He'd rotate every hole so he always teed off with a warm golf ball.

9. Member
    Good points by all....go to lower compression ball (Laddie, Duo) and keep them warm. Keep your clubs inside the house.

10. Member
    Wilson Duo. Cold weather golf balls cannot be compressed nearly as good. The DUO has a 29 compression!!! Lowest compression in the industry.
    Last edited by Longrodder; 01-24-2017 at 07:07 AM.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/avatars/longrodder.gif?type=sigpic&dateline=1383747738

11. Banned
    Isn't golf a great game?

12. Member
    I play Pro V1 or V1x normally. I got a gift card for Christmas and got a dozen NXT Tour S Titleist balls. Played 3 times now with them, and I think they just feel better of all club faces.