After how many years should trailer tires be routinely replaced?

My trailer tires are 3 yrs. old (2014 Ranger RT188). Tread is fine but I've heard they should be replaced after a certain number of years, although I can't recall how many. So, will appreciate some advice if I should replace my tires now or maybe wait a year or two. By the way, my boat is stored in a shed & out of the sun. Thanks.

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Every three years is what manufacturers recommend
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    I'm gonna run mine five unless I run into problems or wear them out. Keeping them inside out of the sun and elements will certainly help.

Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    I'm gonna run mine five unless I run into problems or wear them out. Keeping them inside out of the sun and elements will certainly help.
    Same here.
    There is a lot of variables that will go into it. But for me, with a garage kept rig. I usually can squeeze out 5 to 6 years before I start to worry, and then replace them even though they look pretty good still.

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

I bought my 05 Tracker in 2014 and it still had the original tires on it, when it was bought new. Pulled it 70 miles home, after buying. Changed them out the next week.

6. Member
    Much like the expiration date on food, I don't buy the 3 years for tires. As long as the rubber isn't dry rotting and there is sufficient tread, the tire is fine. Food isn't suddenly poisonous the day after its expiration and tires wont blow out or burst into flames 3 years after you buy them.

Keep an eye on the tires starting to crack and showing signs that the rubber itself is starting to fail - 5+ years on the tires a garage kept rig is nothing

I'm not sure about bias ply tires but radial tires are 6 years.

My trail had bias ply when I bought it new and they lasted about 3 years before they blew out on the drive back from a fishing trip on the hwy. I then replaced them with radial tires knowing I was going to be rolling more then sitting.

The bias ply tires had no dry rot or cracking just a bit of uneven wear.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Being out of the sun certainly helps longevity. My boat is usually in the water or on a lift with the trailer stored in a garage for 7 months of the year and outside in the shade for five months. I figure I should be able to get 5 years easy from my radial tires.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

9. Member
    I hade 2 tires pop at 5 years use about a week apart. I thought that was rare and they were heavily abused. Since then I change after 4 seasons use.

10. Member
    My boat is garage kept and I regularly check tire air pressure. Last summer I had a blowout on a 2-1/2 year old tire with perfect looking tread.
    2013 Pro Team 190
    2013 Mercury 115 Optimax Pro XS
    Minn Kota 70# Edge
    22p LightSpeed Prop
    Humminbird 898 at console
    Humminbird 598 at bow

11. Member
    I usually change mine every 3 years or so. I usually make about 100 trips per year and my shortest drive to the lake is 50 miles

12. Member
    Bought a Tracker Pro Team 175 new in 1998. Sold it last summer to get a new 195TX. Tires on trailer were the same one's that came with it, raised white "Tracker" lettering still good. I added a spare and mount shortly after buying it and it was on there as well.
    2017 Pro Team 190
    115 HP 4 Stroke

13. Banned
    They will let you know....

14. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mrc.in.wi View Post
    They will let you know....
    Unfortunately they let you know one fishing trip too late.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

15. Member
    I'll change these little buggers on my RT trailer every three years. They can't be anywhere near as expensive as my last two full sized tandem trailer tires. Most trips for me are an hour each way and I am getting ready for one that's near 2,000 miles round trip. With as much gas as I burn dragging it around I see no sense in cheaping out on tires and cussing myself on the side of the road.