Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Better learn to like GRITS

2. Member
    Love me some GRITS, which I understand means Girls Raised In The South. Even married me one!

3. Member
    No lakes in Clarksville. If you want on the water here it's a pond or the Cumberland River. I'm on the Nashville side and 50 mins to the airport. Dover is going on be 1:45 and that's if you're in town. I bet Paris can be two hours. There are some beutiful houses on both Ky and Barkley. Old Hickory is close to the airport and has all kinds of housing plus the Corps seldom varies the lake level.

It really depends if you want a big city or not?

4. Member
    Look up the franklin county area on a map best of all worlds lake fishing,tn river 1.5 hrs from nashville or less 40 min from chattanooga 40 min to huntsville.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nikldac View Post
    I have a weekender near Paris Landing, TN which is about 2.5 hrs from me. If my wife would move there; I'd move to Wilson Lake when I retire. It's in nw corner of AL. Water level is pretty well maintained most of the year. On the east end, you have Wheeler lake, and on the west end, you have Pickwick lake. Guntersville is about 1.5 hrs from there. Huntsville is 75 miles east and has an airport. Nashville is about 2.5 hrs away. Property taxes are low and they don't hammer you on income taxes.
    Wilson Lake's down about 3' from normal maximum pool right now, and the dock builders are digging the footings to pour 4' to 5' concrete seawalls. This lake is only 16 miles long, but it's big and it's wide. Having Pickwick 6 miles away and Wheeler Lake 10 miles is just great. What's so nice about much of the Tennessee River system is that we own the land all the way to the water, and fixed (not floating) boathouses and seawalls are often allowed.

We're very fortunate to have a sunset big water view 6 miles to the west, and the water's 55' deep off our dock. This part of the lake is also rock bottom--with very clean (not muddy) water. It's also nice to have two of the finest RTJ golf courses in the South down the street 300 yards away. And Robert Trent Jones' first golf course is across the lake.

My suggestion, east of Nashville and you can't go wrong. From Center Hill, Dale Hollow, Norris, Douglas, so many to choose from. I grew up near Center Hill and all of my family is still there and I love it there. But, I've spent about three weeks each June for the last two summers on Douglas Lake and I'd love to retire there. Close to Knoxville, Smoky Mountains, and within just a few hours drive to so many nice places.

Im a long way out but planning ahead. I was looking at Winchester and Tims Ford Lake. Anybod have any info on that location?

8. Banned
    Tims Ford Lake runs between Winchester and Lynchburg, and it's a very beautiful area with green, lush vegetation. We've spent the weekend on the lake with a close friend that moved down from Nashville.

Winchester's a very nice city with a decent society. It's about 70 minutes from either Chattanooga and Nashville.

You have Monteagle Mountain to the south, and over the mountain is Scottsboro, AL and Guntersville Lake. Woods Resevour and Normandy Lake are also close by.

I really envy you guys that are able to retire in relative comfort right next to a quiet lake or river where you can relax and fish any time you want. If anything is making me realize I need to start planning my retirement and start saving some real money, it's this vision. Good luck in your search OP.

Both runways at McGhee Tyson airport here in Knoxville are currently being extended. When done, means the largest commercial airliners will be able to land/take off. This will result in more flights to more destinations. Used the airport many times. Easy to get in and out of.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    Both runways at McGhee Tyson airport here in Knoxville are currently being extended. When done, means the largest commercial airliners will be able to land/take off. This will result in more flights to more destinations. Used the airport many times. Easy to get in and out of.
    I think it's going to take more than extended runways to get the larger airliners to flying and out though. Runway length isn't the issue now, plenty of runway. I'd like to move to the area but with it being all regional jets it makes commuting out of Knoxville a pain.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phlipnstik View Post
    Im a long way out but planning ahead. I was looking at Winchester and Tims Ford Lake. Anybod have any info on that location?
    Its in Franklin countyi live in cowan at the foot of sewanee mountain im inbetween decherd and winchester 5 min to both,we have tims ford and woods res. and like said you can be on anykind of water you like in kless than 1 1/2hr from deep res,to shallow res to the tenn river system,also close to normandy,dale hollow,center hill ..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12