Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Decent lake to retire on

Any thoughts on a lake to look at retiring on in TN? Wife wants within 1.5 of airport and I want good fishing. Thoughts?

Coosa River and Tennessee River impoundments (nearly all of them) in Alabama fit both your requirements. However, being you are posting in the TN thread - Dale Hollow and Kentucky Lake and Lake Barkley is within 2 hours of Nashville airport.
    Last edited by bassgunner; 12-28-2016 at 07:29 PM.

3. Banned
    The answer is simple. Anywhere on the Tennessee River--650 miles of navigable water from Paducah, KY to Knoxville, TN. There are also a number of TVA lakes on the tributaries in Upper East Tennessee and the Northeast GA Mountains. The bigger area cities are Paducah, Muscle Shoals, Decatur, Huntsville, Guntersville, Chattanooga and Knoxville. There are also a number of medium size cities within 20 miles of the river.

There are no state income taxes on most income in Tennessee. Alabama has extremely cheap property taxes, and no state income tax on social security and defined pensions. Kentuckians are tax'd more than either AL or TN.

My parents were from Muscle Shoals, and we've had a lake house since 1945. With 140,000 people and 15,000 college students, we have most anything anyone needs. For a little larger place, Huntsville is very livable. Guntersville's absolutely beautiful, and the fishing's great. And Chattanooga and Knoxville are now pretty major cities. The lakes just get more beautiful you go east.

You'll just need to take a visit to the region.

Well old hickory is going to be about the only lake to retire on within a short distance of bna airport. I would talk her into center hill or Dale hollow.

5. Member
    I live on Norris lake, but there are 2 other lakes with in a hour from me (Cherokee and Douglas) I live roughly 30 minutes from Knoxville tn, 1 hour from Gatlinburg, and Kentucky is just 25 minutes away from me! You have Tyson McGee airport in Knoxville tn
    2016 nitro z18
    Mercury 150 fourstroke
    Lowarance graphs
    Hot foot

2015 f150
    3 inch lift
    34's

6. Member
    Knoxville....great weather...several great lakes...airport close...period

7. Member
    I live on douglas, 1 hour from Tyson McGhee and can be on several of the best lakes in the country within 2 hours. It is a flood control lake so my cove goes dry by December but I have water on my Dock from March to Early November. Great lake to fish and some bigguns in here although I can't say I've caught em. I live in the foothills of the smokies and I can go an hour into NC to see Elk in the wild as well as Hiking and Camping in the Smokies.

8. Banned
    Clarksville , TN ?

9. Banned
    We're on Norris Lake and my wife has used Knoxville's Tyson/ McGhee Airport a few times. Smaller airport, easy to use, friendly people, we're happy... Dan

10. Member
    Love Knoxville. Seven lakes within 45 minutes. Guntersville, Dale Hollow, and Chickamuaga all within 2.5.

11. Member
    Norris,Cherokee, And Douglas are all beautiful but TVA drops them 20-30 ft in winter. The rest of TVA CHAIN WILL DROP 4-6 ft for flood control. McGhee Tyson is airport and has limited direct flights. Almost everything connects.

Good Luck with your choice. You will love Tn.

12. Member
    Watts Bar Lake. Halfway between Chattanooga and Knoxville. Big lake with minimal boat traffic compared to Fort Loudon (Knoxville) and Chickamauga (Chattanooga).

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by printman71 View Post
    Watts Bar Lake. Halfway between Chattanooga and Knoxville. Big lake with minimal boat traffic compared to Fort Loudon (Knoxville) and Chickamauga (Chattanooga).
    Shhh

Quote Originally Posted by Half Baked View Post
    Shhh

15. Member
    When the time comes I will retire in Paris or Dover tn

Quote Originally Posted by Will Seyler View Post
    When the time comes I will retire in Paris or Dover tn
    + 1 Not retired but already built my house and live in Dover :)

17. Member
    I guess it all depends on whether you want to retire "on" or "near" the lake. I retired 3 years ago, and live on Old Hickory lake. It's not the easiest lake to fish, but I enjoy the challenge for the most part, but it does get frustrating at times. That said, I can't imagine not being able to walk out my back door with a cup of coffee in hand, turning the lever on the boat lift and fishing in minutes. I think it's about 90 miles from lock to lock, and I've barely scratched the surface. I'll be doing this as long as I'm physically able. Also, the people here are fantastic, and having several restaurants on the water adds to the whole experience. Best move I've ever made.

I have a weekender near Paris Landing, TN which is about 2.5 hrs from me. If my wife would move there; I'd move to Wilson Lake when I retire. It's in nw corner of AL. Water level is pretty well maintained most of the year. On the east end, you have Wheeler lake, and on the west end, you have Pickwick lake. Guntersville is about 1.5 hrs from there. Huntsville is 75 miles east and has an airport. Nashville is about 2.5 hrs away. Property taxes are low and they don't hammer you on income taxes.

19. Member
    Looks like I've got quite a few neighbors on this forum. I bought a house in the Paris Landing area of Kentucky lake in 2011.
    I retired from a job in the St. Louis area in May of 2014 and moved here full time. I don't live on the water but I can be to at least a 1/2 dozen ramps within 10 minutes.

We're very contented here but my wife misses having a lot of the stores she was used to shopping at and there's not much of a selection of restaurants in the area.

One of the greatest thing about moving here is that we're out of St. Clair County, Illinois
    Last edited by Lowerider58; 01-05-2017 at 07:02 AM.

20. Member
    I would look seriously at the Paris and/or Dover areas. Paris is a bit larger town and Dover is pretty close to Clarksville and just an hour or so from Nashville airport. Ky Lake and Lake Barkley are almost in your back yard !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast