Talon mount for Bobs hydraulic jack plate

My wife bought me a talon for Christmas. I am now looking for a bracket. I see that they make a insert that allows the talon to be mounted on side, just nervous about drilling holes in the side of the jack plate. I have a ranger518vx with bobs 6" hydraulic jackplate. Or the other option is the sandwich style.If anyone has experience with either mount on a bobs jack plate, or opinions of which ones better, any advice would be appreciated. I've seen a lot of info out there for other brands of jack plates but not a lot on bobs.

2. Member
    Only negative to the sandwich bracket is that you will have to have the motor pulled to put them on. Should be in the $200 ish area unless you have a boat mechanic friend with a forklift/some sort of block and pulley setup. I would rather go that route over drilling personally.

3. Member
    Ok, I have read that you can do it between the jackplate and motor. Is one way better than the other, meaning between transom jackplate or between jackplate and motor? We have a fork lift at work that I can use so that's not an issue.

4. Member
    Depends on your setup- Id want it as close to the transom as possible to reduce drag when getting on pad. I had a set of the sandwich on my old astro between the transom and jackplate. Good time to recaulk the transom to jackplate connection when you replace the bolts/nuts/washers.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nickyp View Post
    Depends on your setup- Id want it as close to the transom as possible to reduce drag when getting on pad. I had a set of the sandwich on my old astro between the transom and jackplate. Good time to recaulk the transom to jackplate connection when you replace the bolts/nuts/washers.
    Thank you

I would put them on the transom to keep the 50# closer to it rather than 10" out on a lever. I would also drill then tap the jack plate, use bolts long enough to put a lock nut on it. Just a sloppy tap would work. Tighten the bolt good then apply the nut.

7. Member
    I have a 10 ft talon on a 10" bobs jackplate. Used the universal jackplate mount. Drilled 2 holes in jackplate. Had to put a shim in the recessed area on the bobs. Works fine. In fact, I just installed. Second talon using the same type bracket. Taking it out tomorrow. Bracket costs around $250 or so. Comes with all the necessary hardware except the shim. I used a piece of aluminum I bought from lowes and cut it to fit.
    2007 Ranger Z19 - 225 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by POPPAB View Post
    I have a 10 ft talon on a 10" bobs jackplate. Used the universal jackplate mount. Drilled 2 holes in jackplate. Had to put a shim in the recessed area on the bobs. Works fine. In fact, I just installed. Second talon using the same type bracket. Taking it out tomorrow. Bracket costs around $250 or so. Comes with all the necessary hardware except the shim. I used a piece of aluminum I bought from lowes and cut it to fit.
    This is +1 for me. I have the Bob's 6" with the Universal side mount brackets with 12' Talons ( i bought one then saved for a year and bought the other). I also made a plate for the recesses in the JP and drilled the two holes. I took my time to be sure it was accurate. I measured, remeasured, thought about it, remeasured, thought about it, remeasured......you get the gist of if it. Better to be sure because once the holes are drilled that's it.
    "No one is useless in the world who lightens the burden of another" Charles Dickens

"Just because I do not agree with you does not mean I hate you or that I do not respect your opinion. We need to relearn that in our society."

2004 Ranger 521DVX
    2004 Yamaha Vmax HPDI 250

9. Member
    Thanks guys, I have decided to go with the universal side mount bracket. I ordered the shim directly from bobs and hope to install it soon. Once again thanks for the advice.