150 Mercury Optimax TPS

I believe my TPS is starting to go out, I have a 2004 Mercury Optimax with 362 hours on it. The motor seems to drag before it will fire up, sometimes it will take up to 20 seconds of cranking before it will run. I had it into Cabela's in KC last Feb. and he told me then that it was starting to go out, but throughout the summer and fall I noticed that I have dropped 400 - 500 rpm and only able to top out at 57 mph when I was getting 62 mph. Is this also caused by a faulty TPS.

I have checked on the European Marine website for a new TPS but can't seem to find which category it is labeled under. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

2. Member
    need to have engine ran on cds for complete scan of tps function/ dout its the problem/ cyl drop test when rpm drop is occurring will confirm
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    It will help you to receive faster, and more accurate responses if you will post your questions in the appropriate forum:

Mercury - 2.0/ 2.4/ 2.5 Liter High Performance
    For discussions related to 2.0/ 2.4/ 2.5L motors (Carb, EFI, Optimax or Racing).

Joe is correct- this should be verified/checked to replicate and diagnose the problem that's occurring.

If you're having difficulties locating a part, feel free to contact the Parts Department (directly).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    It will help you to receive faster, and more accurate responses if you will post your questions in the appropriate forum:

Mercury - 2.0/ 2.4/ 2.5 Liter High Performance
    For discussions related to 2.0/ 2.4/ 2.5L motors (Carb, EFI, Optimax or Racing).
    Not to hijack but has this always been the case? I thought that forum was for modified motors and this one was the correct place for the 150 Optimax (stock). At least this is where I always posted my stuff.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Been this way since we split off the 4-strokes/Verado engines... approximately 1 year. There's a sticky at the top of this forum.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Dragging while trying to start would have me looking at battery capacity, condition (load test), and connections first. Insufficient battery capacity (what specific battery do you have?) can lead to symptoms you describe and, other than your time, it doesn't cost anything to pull the battery and have it load tested.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

7. Member
    Had a compression test ran and all 6 cylinders are between 112 and 115 psi, I am going to schedule it back into the shop to have a full scan ran on the motor. Thanks for all your help