Verado Hour Capability

I've read Verado's can easily reach the 2,000-3,000 hr mark, and some up to the 5,000 hr mark on commercial use, which I assume is mostly idling/low rpm use. Does anyone have any idea what the hour capability is for bass boat use, high rpm/constant start and stop/short run/etc?

Also, are idling hours (under 2,000 rpm) considered less abusive than mid-range hours? For example, would an engine with 500 total hours, 300 of them being idle hours, be more likely in better mechanical shape (all things being equal) than say a motor with 500 hours and 100 of them idle hours?

I just got a 350 verado. I would expect with regular maintenance I will not be able to put enough hours on it to break the destroy the powerhead.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I'm more concerned with excessive IDLE time than anything, in most cases. Doesn't mean the engine won't do it, it just means it's running in an RPM range slightly more prone to produce carbon buildup, and likely running at a steady RPM for extended periods.

I've seen at least one Verado with over 4600 hours on it.... 75% of which was above 4000 RPM's. Still in pristine condition.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Appreciate the feedback. What do you consider excessive idling? I realize there is no specific answer for this question, but would 50% of total run time being idle hours be excessive, or more toward 75% and above?

5. Member
    I was about to post and ask the very same question. The 300 pro verado may very well be my next motor unless mercury introduces something better to replace the pro xs
    "Luminous beings are we not this crude matter." Yoda

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pound4Pound View Post
    Appreciate the feedback. What do you consider excessive idling? I realize there is no specific answer for this question, but would 50% of total run time being idle hours be excessive, or more toward 75% and above?
    50% would be excessive.

Best to see the majority of runtime in the mid-range (3500-4500 RPM), with less time in the low and high RPM ranges.

If you were to "graph" the run-time RPM ranges, it should resemble some sort of Hill (or Mountain) with a plateau on either side.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor