Unhappy 2004 Merc 200 HP EFI

Was running back to the ramp yesterday and my motor dropped from 5500 RPMs to 4750 RPMs and was sluggish and rough after that. I finished getting to the ramp (about 2 miles) in the 2000-3000 range. I have a really bad feeling I either blew the powerhead or one of the cylinders. The motor was just serviced about six weeks ago and had a full work up (including new plugs, and a whole new wiring harness). I don't think it is bad gas because if it was I would have had motor troubles from the get go and I burned a decent amount of fuel yesterday. I always let the motor warm up and cool down when running and get the motor regularly serviced as stated in the manual and regardless of whether something is wrong or not..... but I also know that there are two types of outboards in the world: those that have blown, and those that haven't blown yet.

Assuming I blew the powerhead or need to have one of the cylinders sleeved, what is a "fair" range on what to expect to repair or replace it? I know different parts of the country might have different service costs, etc.

And yes, I will be calling the dealership tomorrow to get with them on this issue, but the not knowing is killing me.

Thanks in advance.

2. Member
    Please see the Forum Announcements, and be sure to provide the REQUIRED info. Thanks!

3. Member
    You are really jumping to a conclusion that may or may not be warranted. Many issues could be at the root of your problem including something as simple as bad plug wire.
    Michael Martin
    Virginia...now in Maryland
    1998 P III, 2006 200 Optimax SOLD
    2017 Robalo 226 Cayman, 200 Yamaha 4 stroke

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaRanger395vs View Post
    Please see the Forum Announcements, and be sure to provide the REQUIRED info. Thanks!
    +1

Important to start with the BASICS... before working up estimated costs. Compression, Spark, and Fuel Quality/Delivery/Pressures.

Then work from that.... Good luck!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Yes, very true and thank you all for commenting. I am just one of those "assume the worst" kind of people.

Should be getting a call today from my mechanic. Hoping it is not the worst news possible.

6. Member
    Well, I got the call from the mechanic.... No compression in #4 :(

He is working on some number$ for some options and we will go from there.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Sorry to hear that... but at least you have something more concrete to work from now.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Have experienced that sinking feeling twice now, feel sorry for you man!

9. Member
    Well that's better than mine
    Mine blue about 8 mo. ago
    I got some money to get it fix
    Mechanic said 3600 out the door
    Then mine can be fix.
    Found one on e-bay invoice 1800 overe-bay
    Then mechanic said he got to checking
    on this guy out of 10 he only 2 was good report
    So not he trying to see what where going to do

10. Banned
    How old was the fuel? Im thinking you had an injector issue. The siemens injectors in that motor can be very problematic. Recommend you have them serviced/ validated if you decide to rebuild.