2005 206 Elite, smelling gas in rod locker

Opened my rod locker today and it smelled like gas. I have smelled some before , but it seemed little stronger today. It has been cool here and lot of wetness in the back by batteries. No gas in bottom when I pulled plug to smell the little bit of water that drain out. How can I check for leaks, tank I out of site? Have heard others smelling some, but was not sure if I have problem or not. Thanks

2. Member
    Most likely its permeating thru the tank, I always leave rear lid open for fresh air and if its covered keep gas cap and vent open .

3. Banned
    My 2005 198 tends to have more gas vent smell than my old skeeter does, might be a design issue???

4. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Permeable tank. I leave my lids open when boat is sitting up.

5. Member
    Leave rod boxes open, that will solve the problem. It is a known problem on all champs.

6. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Not only Champs....any boats with tanks made of the same material are subject to this...

7. Member
    I guess im lucky cause i dont get no gas smell from my tank or in my rod lockers unless i over fill tank.
    Bruce Phillips
    1995 190 DC champion ......1995 200 xri merc

8. Member
    If it is worse than usual, i doubt that it is permeating through the tank. I had the exact thing happen just this weekend on my basscat Cougar and it turned out to be a leak on the motor side of the primer bulb. I just cut about 1" off of the hose, pushed it back up on the bulb, tightened the clamp and all is good. I hope yours turns out to be this easy.

Sorry I have never bought into the "permeating thru the tank" issue BCRP. My old plastic gas cans newer loose a drop and my closed up shed never smelled like gas! Mine has never been bad and the only difference between the my last boat that didn't have the issue and the one I have now is the big one piece rigging hose that everything runs up into the motor cover. Inside the motor cover there is fuel and oil smells. Wether it's carb 'ed or injected there are fuel fumes in the motor cover (maybe not direct injected never owned one of them yet) Gas fumes will search out the lowest path. That path is that rigging hose into the boat. You have two choices. Change out the rigging hose for a vented type or seal the rigging tube. I chose to seal mine with Permatex Ultra Black sealer # 82180 their most oil and fuel resistant sealer. On my second season and no more fumes. That's my fix!

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

10. Member
    Rick,
    Where did you seal it? Did you just Goop up all around all the lines? Mine has smelled since day one.
    Champion 206
    250XB

There is a two piece collar at the engine. Remove engine cowling. Turn the motor hard right. Make sure all the cables and such are not pulling tight if so adjust and move on. With the engine full right split the collar ( 2 Philips screws), clean and prep all incoming hoses and such, run a bead of sealer on the bottom collar and work your way to the top sealing around each incoming hoses basically building an wall with sealer, then once all are covered lay a large enough bead for the top collar to seal, install collar screws. Let setup at least 24 hours with engine full right.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"

2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

12. Member
    That's how I visioned it. I would be worried about the sealant coming apart over time with vibration and turning back and forth. Then, the risk of getting a piece sucked into the intake. No? How long has yours been done and have you checked it recently? Interesting fix...
    Champion 206
    250XB

13. Member
    I wonder if three or four 1/2" holes on the bottom of the rigging tube (coming off the flange), would allow the fumes to vent. I get where you're coming from on the fumes traveling to the lowest path. This wouldn't allow rain to enter very much and would add ventilation.
    Champion 206
    250XB

Quote Originally Posted by dkennimer View Post
    That's how I visioned it. I would be worried about the sealant coming apart over time with vibration and turning back and forth. Then, the risk of getting a piece sucked into the intake. No? How long has yours been done and have you checked it recently? Interesting fix...
    Second season, I used Permatex Ultra Black sealer # 82180 for that reason and trust the product it's not going to flake apart. Maybe another RTV but not that RTV. Sure the air intake in the engine cowling allow there not to be negative pressure to the point where it would suck anything out of the rigging hose. You'd be surprised at the things some dealer leave in the engine area but not a practice I make. I don't see a problem with the RTV being there.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick H View Post
    Second season, I used Permatex Ultra Black sealer # 82180 for that reason and trust the product it's not going to flake apart. Maybe another RTV but not that RTV. Sure the air intake in the engine cowling allow there not to be negative pressure to the point where it would suck anything out of the rigging hose. You'd be surprised at the things some dealer leave in the engine area but not a practice I make. I don't see a problem with the RTV being there.
    Champion 206
    250XB

16. Member
    I tore my 206 apart trying to find the gas leak. Pulled the seat base and checked all connections of fill and vent hoses, and double clamped them. No leak at the sending unit plate. The outboard was DFI so there is no excess fuel under the cowling. No fuel leak under the cowling. I gave up and left a compartment open. I do believe vapor somehow permeates the tank, something along the lines of how gore tex allows vapor but not liquid to pass maybe.

17. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Yep...permeable tanks. Not uncommon.

I like that smell. It lets me know that I'm about to go fishing.
    25th Anniversary Champion 187 SCX Elite
    Mercury 175 EFI
    Perception Pescador Pro 120 Kayak
    Aquos 10ft Pontoon Boat