Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Melton Hill Lake

Just moved to Knoxville recently from Gallatin, TN. Noticed this lake is a steam plant lake similar to Old Hickory. Any one fish the warm water discharge during the winter? How close can you get? The Hick would get pretty crowded near the hot ditch on a winter day...Was a blast to fish, never knew what you would hook up with.. Thinking about heading that way soon..

Bob Gottschalk
    2019 Z18
    2019 PRO XS 175 FOUR STROKE

2. Member
    I know they fish up there and catch a mixture but from what I hear it's not run as much as it used to be. I usually just head down. Temps are usually pretty consistant on the Hill as is the water level.

3. Member
    I am aware of the Steam Plant off of I-40. Is there another Steam Plant upstream? Thanks

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by richg99 View Post
    I am aware of the Steam Plant off of I-40. Is there another Steam Plant upstream? Thanks
    The plant you see coming up I40 is the Kingston plant. It is actually on Watts Bar. The Bull Run plant is on the upper third of Melton Hill. Neither plant runs constantly.

I love some Melton Hill fishing. Come fish a tournament with us Saturday out of carbide park.

6. Member
    SBK I spend summers in the area. Who is "us" and where is Carbide Park, please? I tried looking Carbide park up on Google maps, but they didn't find it on Melton Hill.

I rarely fish tournaments, but it might be fun to meet some of the guys. richg99

7. Member
    I believe it may be called Carl Cowen park too. Just downstream from bridge in Solway on the Oak Ridge side. Nice park...Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by richg99 View Post
    SBK I spend summers in the area. Who is "us" and where is Carbide Park, please? I tried looking Carbide park up on Google maps, but they didn't find it on Melton Hill.

I rarely fish tournaments, but it might be fun to meet some of the guys. richg99

Yes sorry they changed the name a while back but I still call it carbide park. it's. called Clark Center now. It's off bethel Valley exit. I don't have Facebook or I'd send a link. I'll try and get the flyer from my buddy. We had 17 boats 2 weekends ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Always want to be Fishing View Post
    I believe it may be called Carl Cowen park too. Just downstream from bridge in Solway on the Oak Ridge side. Nice park...Hope this helps

Carl Cowen park is on Loudon. Your directions were right though.

10. Not Banned
    What's the quality like on Melton Hill? I've been there once mid summer and fished a few minutes out of carbide park about 10 yrs ago. I don't remember if we caught anything, we mostly rode around on a deck boat. We are looking at selling here and moving to Oak Ridge or Harden Valley.

11. Member
    Ooooops.....sorry bout the name. See ya sat.

Quote Originally Posted by Always want to be Fishing View Post
    Ooooops.....sorry bout the name. See ya sat.
    I had to miss this Saturday tournament, wife was called into work. Time to baby sit.

Quote Originally Posted by go phish View Post
    Just moved to Knoxville recently from Gallatin, TN. Noticed this lake is a steam plant lake similar to Old Hickory. Any one fish the warm water discharge during the winter? How close can you get? The Hick would get pretty crowded near the hot ditch on a winter day...Was a blast to fish, never knew what you would hook up with.. Thinking about heading that way soon..
    You can fish in the outflow of the steam plant with little issues until you get within about 50 feet or so of the discharge. There can be a very strong current at times and have to read the current and stay in the eddy created otherwise you're on the troller non stop. Get all different types of fish in there. Bass, Musky, Striper and catfish. I've actually caught bass in there with a buzzbait in the middle of the winter with water temps being mid 70's.

Honestly it can be crowded at times especially on nicest weekends in the winter. I normally fish down past Solway area and do better than the steam plant.
    Stroker DC21 Mercury 250 XB

14. Member
    Dang......the numbers were good on sat....thought we had a chance with 11.11.
    NOT...was good tourney...thanks

Yeah my partner won and other buddy was 2nd. Wish I could have made it out there!

Thanks. Where is the closest and best ramp to put in when the water is low? Across from Centennial Village apartments?

Bob Gottschalk
    2019 Z18

17. Member
    Thanks. Where is the closest and best ramp to put in when the water is low? Across from Centennial Village apartments?
    If you're coming from LC, there is a real good launch at the rec area above the MH dam. Otherwise, you will have a long haul either through Oak Ridge or up I40 to I140 aka Pellissippi Pkwy into ramp above Solway bridge.

During the low water drawdown in Spring (Mid to late March) you will not be able to use that ramp. Just about any other time of the year you can use it as they don't drop Melton Hill like the other lakes around here. If you're in Lenior City then the ramp at the dam shouldn't be more than 10-15 minutes away.
    Stroker DC21 Mercury 250 XB

19. Member
    Its amazing how many people try and use those ramps during low water.....amazing.

Although my address is Lenoir City, my house is closer to Farragut off of Northshore Blvd... I usally fish Louden cause the ramp is so close..
    Thanks for the info.

Bob Gottschalk
    2019 Z18

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast