Thread: 1986 390 ranger

1986 390 ranger

I have a 1986 ranger 390v with new freshly built 1994 200 efi 2.5 liter merc. I was running a 1986 merc 200 2.4 liter and 6" jack plate with 24" trophy. Boat would run low 60s with 2 people. Now i have the 2.5 efi and 9" jack plate i can only get 55 with the same prop and less rpms. whats the deal??? Running 4.25 below pad and if i raise motor i loose water pressure. Boat feels like a slug. I had to put 9" plate because i installed hydraulic steering and if trimmed up all the way it would hit the transome. now it clears fine but lost alot of performance. It wont turn a 25 tempest. HELPPPP?
    Thanks

2. Member
    What are your current rpms at wide open throttle? Are you sure you're getting WOT, or does your throttle cable need to be adjusted when going from the 2.4 carb engine to the 2.5 efi to reach WOT?

3. Member
    Before you added the 9" plate did the motor run okay or did you add the plate before you tried it out? The 9" plate may have set the motor behind the swell of water behind the boat which now lets you get air into the system or the water pump could have been installed wrong. What's your water pressure at idle and at WOT?

4. Member
    Didn't run it before 9" plate. Water pressure about 10 at idle. What do I do if it's back too far? I can't use the 6" plate.

5. Member
    Water pressure should drop at idle after a few hrs. run time to 1-3 lbs. That motor can run WOT with 10-12lbs of WP. How much does it drop when you raise it up? Mercury makes high speed scoops for that lower unit if it's losing WP at speed. Part number is 17280A2 I think. They also make a limiter so the motor will stop before it hits the transom.

6. Member
    thanks for the help. ill keep playing with it. may end up with a hydraulic jack plate on it.

7. Member
    You might have a motor issue. The 2.5 200 put out 202 HP from the factory, the 2.4 200 put out 212 HP, so you should only be about 1 mph slower with the same setup. With an extra 3" of setback, you should as fast or 1 mph faster. I suspect your motor is too low. For every inch setback you go, you should also go up half an inch, as a general rule. So if you went from 6"to 9" setback, you should be running about 1.5" higher. That should add a couple MPH, You may need to go up several inches on your plate.

8. Member
    They do make different cylinders for hydraulic steering that connect different than a standard does. I hope you got some kind of warranty with that motor.

9. Member
    Had some fouled plugs. I suspect due to double oil. I'll try her again. What does it mean to be behind the swell?? Can you be too far back? 9" plate shouldn't be too much.

10. Member
    That boat was never designed for a 9" which is actually a 10" plate and more isn't always better in set back. There is a swell of water that forms behind a boat. As it passes through the water it pushes water down and too the side and once it passes that point it the water rushes back in and forms a swell or wave higher than the level of the surrounding water but only for short time and depending on the boat it could be 6" to 18" behind the hull. The other thing I wouldn't trust that old wooden transom with a 10" plate unless you've had it rebuilt.

11. Member
    A 6 inch is all i would install on it if the transom is soild . The 10 was to much for it new ?

12. Member
    rchavis where have you been

13. Member
    I been busy @ work , has't been on the board in a while . Did get in a few days fishing during the winter break /Xmas .

14. Member
    Got it fixed! That hull requires a measurement of 24.5" from the hook on the mount to the bottom of the hull. I had to drill new holes in the jack plate and lower motor. Got a new boat. ! Great hole shot, sits high on the pad , Rpms at 5800 and running 67.5 on the gps!!