Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Decent reasonably priced smoker.

I have been wanting a smoker for a very long time and I am about to pop on one but don't want to spend crazy money. I know you get what you pay for but the only smoker I have used up to this point was made out of a filing cabinet and it worked GREAT so I don't need anything to crazy or fancy as long as the food comes out good.

I have been looking at these a little but I know basically nothing about these things.

https://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-2...lectric+Smoker

https://www.amazon.com/Char-Broil-14.../dp/B004J66WRQ
    Last edited by 351mustang65; 12-27-2016 at 01:28 AM.

Some guys collect baseball cards just to look at them, I collect fishing equipment and use it .
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    In fishing and in life only one thing stays the same and that is that everything changes.

Found the Masterbuilt 30 in. Bluetooth Smart Digital Electric Smoker for 225 which is around my top dollar. Thinking I might go with that.

Some guys collect baseball cards just to look at them, I collect fishing equipment and use it .
    In fishing and in life only one thing stays the same and that is that everything changes.

3. Member
    I have a Masterbuilt, doesnt have the Blue Tooth, but its a nice smoker...I think you'll be happy

4. Moderator
    Are you wanting to stick to electric?

Well found that Bluetooth Masterbuilt in store for under two hundred so I think I'm going to go pick it up tomorrow morning. Although I like the idea and results of wood / charcoal I think I might be better off starting with the ease of electronic.

I went with a propane smoker and have had good success. As a matter of fact, I am smoking some ribs right now...

This is the one I have. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Masterbui...0412/202904343 The only thing I modified was to add lava rocks to the smoking pan. It keeps the wood from igniting.

Here is a great website recommended by the smokers on BBC. http://amazingribs.com/ I did the Ultimate Smoked Turkey for a big group at Thanksgiving. It went FAST. I smoked a couple more for folks that were at that Thanksgiving dinner and wanted another for Christmas too.
    Last edited by 06 SB; 01-16-2017 at 08:25 AM.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

You pretty much can't go wrong with the MB electrics. I have a 40" that I've been using for many years. Just did a couple hams the other day. Seriously, for the home smoke cooking person, these things are great. Set the time and temp, toss in wood chips a couple times, and enjoy some dam fine meat (and vegetables that get thrown into the box with the meat)

8. Member
    You have to wait a while but....Bass Pro puts a Masterbuilt 400 for 199 on Black Friday. Held onto my gift cards and just got mine. Richmond store had over 200 and sold them all. Line wasn't bad but getting up that early was another story.

9. Member
    Unless you step up to a well built (not mass produced) offset you will not find a better smoker than the Weber smiley mountain. Seriously.

10. Member
    Can't beat a Weber Smokey Mountain for the money.
    2013 Pro Team 190
    2013 Mercury 115 Optimax Pro XS
    Minn Kota 70# Edge
    22p LightSpeed Prop
    Humminbird 898 at console
    Humminbird 598 at bow

I personally dont like the humidifier smoker. I bought a pit boss electric and love it.

I have the Smokenator kit for my 22 1/2" Weber kettle. The best charcoal grill on the planet can be used as a smoker.

Ranting incoherently

13. Member
    Our Wal-mart puts the smokers and grills on sale after Labor Day. I bought a Weber Smokey Mtn. 14.5" charcoal smoker for $99.00 plus tax. It seems to be well built and does a great job.
    Timing is everything!

14. Banned
    Hard to beat the above Weber with the Smokenator. And the WSM is another great one--doesn't get any better.

I just bought a 40" Mastercraft electric smoker at Bass Pro Shop for $159--usually $359. It was a Black Friday special.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave926 View Post
    Our Wal-mart puts the smokers and grills on sale after Labor Day. I bought a Weber Smokey Mtn. 14.5" charcoal smoker for $99.00 plus tax. It seems to be well built and does a great job.
    I got mine for $49.
    2013 Pro Team 190
    Minn Kota 70# Edge
    22p LightSpeed Prop
    Humminbird 598 at bow

16. Member
    Heck of a deal. I'd buy all they had at that price.
    Timing is everything!

17. Member
    Cannot beat the WSM's for value, longevity, and quality of food results. The electrics sound and work ok for a while but they will fail, I know many friends and co-workers that have had theirs fail while my WSM is twenty years old. It still looks great plus it will never fail in the middle of a cook.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave926 View Post
    Heck of a deal. I'd buy all they had at that price.
    My thoughts exactly. I didn't need it as I already have an 18-1/2 smokey mountain but couldn't pass on the small one. However, the small one is perfect for cooking a single Boston Butt or turkey breast. It holds low heat very well and is a miser on charcoal and it is easier to hit high temperatures for turkey and chicken. I'm glad I have both units now.

This makes the 3rd Weber I own. I have a 22 inch kettle, and then the 18 and 14 inch smokey mountains. I don't think I'll ever own anything else. In my opinion, their quality and ease of use can't be beat.
    2013 Pro Team 190
    Minn Kota 70# Edge
    22p LightSpeed Prop
    Humminbird 598 at bow

19. Member
    I have never met someone with a Weber that did not like them. I can not begin to describe how fine of a performer the WSM is. It is legitimately that good.

20. Member
    I have a 22.5 weber grill and a 14.5 weber smokey mtn. you can do it all and still have money to buy fising equipment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    I have never met someone with a Weber that did not like them. I can not begin to describe how fine of a performer the WSM is. It is legitimately that good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast