1500 Silverado 5.3L engine

year of truck is 2000

I have found ( while looking for oil leakage) that there was some antifreeze leaking passenger side on the heater core hoses so as I was checking the tightness of the hose the plastic piece broke off inside the hose.
    My question is do that plastic piece come separate from the fire wall and if by chance do you know the nomenclature of it?

My second question is i have oil consumption for no apparent reason. I have looking on line and most people think they need to replace the valve cover gaskets but it turned out to be the PCV valve.. I did the PCV valve first and still
    have consumption.. I don't have oil in my coolant or coolant in my oil so I am thinking that it has to be internal if not the valve cover gaskets.. I intend to remove the plugs in the morning and look at them to determine if oil is getting
    pass the plug.. IF so what would I need to do and if NOT where should I look next?

Thanks in advance..

3. Member
    http://knowhow.napaonline.com/how-to...se-connectors/

http://knowhow.napaonline.com/how-to...se-connectors/
    Ive got the skinny on the heater hose connectors....looks like i may have the buy the entire hose assembly which sucks.. but Thank God it didnt happen away from the driveway..now to figure out the oil situation

How many miles are on the truck? You might just be burning it. Are you noticing much smoke in the exhaust?

5. Member
    around 225k
    Its not smoking.. but my exhaust pipes are a little sooted

A little soot is normal but a lot could be caused by any number of things. Could be running rich. Do you take a lot of short drives? Might just be needing to get that motor warmed up and run it at highway speeds.

BTW, I had a 1995 Tahoe that consumed oil and I could never figure out where it was going.

8. Member
    My work drive is about 50 minutes @70mph . mostly on the interstate.. couple of cool snaps here in fla
    I'll probably change out the valve cover gaskets just for piece of mind next weekend..I'll get to the heater quick disconnect first
    Its a chevy and everyone knows that chevy's don't leak oil they just hide it...lol

Thanks for your help man..greatly appreciated..
    BBC is a one helpful site for many things

When's the last time you changed spark plugs? Did the threads have oil on them? Might be time for valve seals
    2011 Ranger z521/250HO

10. Member
    I haven't changed them in over 2 year...( was deployed for 8 months. and out and about 6)
    I was going to check them tomorrow. and see if they had any oil on them

11. Member
    Ive had a lot of the 5.3 engines and in my experience with the oil comsumption was if cheap oil is used there will use it. oil from those lube joints generally use recycled oil, Penzoil is the worst, try a oil change with a good semi- synthetic oil and see if it makes a difference, it did for me, I had one that didn't like the cheap oil to the extent of the low oil light coming on between a oil change. Also if you have not already change the intake gaskets, the ethanol in fuel now degrades the gasket causing a intake leak that will vacuum oil internally as well, gaskets are cheap and not bad to change, just looks like a big job, a good mech can do them in a hour.
    2000 Stratos 21SS Extreme
    Don\'t let your kids be the one that got away!!!

12. Member
    You're sucking oil through thew PCV. Very common on high mileage engines especially ford and GM. My 02 f150 does it as well as my last three 03's.
    I suggest getting or making an inline oil separator for the PCV. I know on mine it's the passenger side that sucks it the most because it's connected right after the throttle body, and my previous truck would hold 2 quarts or more in the separator within 5k miles.

13. Member
    GM did sell a updated PCV vale for the LH valve cover to correct oil consumption.(not sure if it is still available). It had a smaller orifice. Part #12572717

14. Member
    Thanks again to all
    I've found that my starter was damage due coolant leaking

15. Member
    Trash the fittings going from hose to heater core! Thats what i did, just put hose over heater core and use a good hose clamp. Like they were always done. It has worked great for me. I have same engine. Mine flew off going down road in summer,luckily I watch temp gauge and caught it before motor got too hot!

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SCOTT196 View Post
    Trash the fittings going from hose to heater core! Thats what i did, just put hose over heater core and use a good hose clamp. Like they were always done. It has worked great for me. I have same engine. Mine flew off going down road in summer,luckily I watch temp gauge and caught it before motor got too hot!
    WOW !!!!
    Yeah I am always glancing at the gauges.

17. Member
    Had an 03 sierra with 5.3L 294Kmi.
    Started losing a quart between changes. Did not seem to be burning much(not smoking).
    Did a thorough engine cleaning. Changed Valve cover gaskets and manifold gasket.
    Still losing oil.
    Changed oil pan gasket and cleaned underneath. Finally found oil trickling down between oil pan and flywheel.
    It was coming from Rear plate and rear main seal.
    Dropped trans, replaced plate with rear main seal. No leaks, no loss of oil.
    PM if any questions. Also at some point had the coolant leak at fire wall heater core fittings. Replaced with straight fittings and clamped directly.