Thread: How deep?

Official Lip Ripper' haftafish22's Avatar

How deep?

I typically start crappie fishing right before the space. Catch them staging on brush any where from 6-20'. I've decided to give it a winter go this year. Water temps in the upper 30's to about 42. Not having much luck. Few small fish around 20'. I've been fishing lakes less than 1000 acres and I know have a ton of crappie. Not finding them. Also not finding any brush piles out on the main body of the lakes. Most piles are at the mouth of creeks and going back. Lakes range, but most have 40-50 max depth and creek channels are typically around 20-25' deep. Where are they?

2. Member
    Inside channel bends with brush laid down, 20 to 25 ft should be about right for depth to temps.

3. Official Lip Ripper' haftafish22's Avatar
    That's what I fished! They weren't there. Just babies. Better luck next time I guess

4. Member
    I know around here during the coldest water temps, the big crappie bite at night. Sundown till 2 in the morning. I do not like to fish that much now days lol. I bet it's still that way.
    Danny Head
    Hinton, Oklahoma
    2015 Ranger RT 188, Mercury 115 4 stroke

5. Official Lip Ripper' haftafish22's Avatar
    Hey Danny, you been to American horse in a while? Went last spring and had a good time, last two trips out been hitting roman nose for rainbows. Caught a couple over 3 and Ronnie Dunn caught a 7.5

i might be mistaken, but I was thinking you used to fish fom years ago?
    Last edited by haftafish22; 12-27-2016 at 06:07 PM.

6. Member
    This fall. Still real low but caught some. I do not recall knowing Ronnie Dunn., I fished the Duncan lakes and Chisholm trail bass club in the 80's.
    Danny Head
    Hinton, Oklahoma
    2015 Ranger RT 188, Mercury 115 4 stroke