Thread: Kirtland AFB

Kirtland AFB

My son just got orders for Kirtland AFB in New Mexico, anyone ever been there or have any "good to know info" about the place? He reports June 30th.

2. Member
    I grew up in ABQ. I used the gym at KAFB ~ daily for years before shipping off on my own career. Not a bad post. All of the facilities are solid. You've got an odd assortment of players on post - PJs, DoE weapons folks, some AFSOC stuff, and a host of folks who work in cyber security.

ABQ is a city rich in history and culture. If your son enjoys outdoor stuff he'll be in good shape- hunting, fishing, hiking, skiing camping, the list goes on. He may have to drive a bit to get to one of the bigger lakes but that's life in the SW. The climate is superb. Not too hot, not too cold. The nearby mountains offer tons of opportunity. Then there's the food. I mean REAL SW food. Not the cheezy tex-mex stuff. The Indian influence on cooking is evident everywhere you go and it's wonderful.

The desert has a beauty all its own. Nothing like the sunrises and sunsets, esp when seen from atop Sandia Peak.

3. Member
    Thanks, I'll pass that on to him and maybe he will quit complaining.