Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Need help, in the market for a new?

It's time to retire the propane gas grill. Would like some feed back on what to get. We love to grill and it's nothing for us to grill all year, several times a week. I don't know anything really about smokers and don't know of anyone that has one so don't know if you guys recommend something? I guess I'm looking for something I can grill and smoke with? Warning, my propane grill still works prefect, going on 22 years old. It just doesn't look that well any more. I want something that's going to last.

2. Member
    Look into a pellet grill...kind of the best of both worlds. I bought a Pitboss, but there are a bunch of brands out there. Food comes off with a great smokey flavor. Some of the best steak, chops, burgers and chicken I've ever had.

3. Member
    Traeger seems to be the predominately mentioned pellet grill out there. I just got a charcoal for this spring but I will be saving up for a treager for when the temps get lower up here and I want something easier to smoke with. It will be a full time grill though.

4. Banned
    Most all manly cooks will have a gas LP grill, a smoker and a Weber 22 1/2 inch charcoal grill. And those with big $ will also have a Big Green Egg or Primo ceramic cooker.

Many swear by the Weber LP grills, however they're very expensive. I'm of the belief that gas grills are somewhat generic. I had one gas grill from Sam's Club that had cast iron burners and it must have lasted 20 years. I bought a big Kenmore gas grill on sale a year ago at KMart, and it's good looking and does the job.

AmazingRibs.com has a section discussing all the gas grills--all brands.

I have been looking hard at the Camp Chef pellet grill/smoker. They are designed after the Trager but with a little more room and a lot less cash
    I agree that Amazing Ribs has some good reviews on lots of them

2019 721 ProXs 4S 250
    2B599739

Well guess I've got some researching to do. Treager, Weber, and big green egg. I was really hopeful I could find something that would grill and a smoker. I'm not sure about the pellets, again more research.

What about Primo Oval's?

8. Member
    I have had my Char-Griller AKORN Kamado Kooker for 3 years now, just used it today to do a Pork Loin, I have done Pizzas, chicken, 20 plus pound Turkeys, Ribs and Brisket with nothing but good things to say about how it cooks. Best part of it they won't break the bank to buy one! Super easy to clean up, you only need a few extras to make it really versatile, very easy to figure out to adjust the temperature, once the food is cooked just close the bottom and top vents and it smothers the fire so you will have un-burnt charcoal that you can use the next time. Now all the Kamado Grills come with a 5 year warranty. https://www.chargriller.com/kamado-grills
    Jerry "Rat-L-Trap" Lehman
    Never Enough "Traps"
    Triton TR-21 Merc Optimax 225
    Living Life Large at Toledo Bend

9. Member
    My neighbor has a stainless gas grill from SAMs Club that has a pullout draw where you can add wood chips for smoking. Anderson's Sales and Service carry a line of grills called The Holland Grills, that look really well made also.

10. Member
    I swear by my Egg...It can cook low and slow like a smoker..it can sear a steak...cook pizza...veggies, and even cook fish. The shell is warranted forever. Nothing affects it adversely not even cooking in it a 32 degrees and below out...I cook on mine an average of 4 days a week...and have for years. The only downfalls are the price and then comes the "egg fever" that you come down with, forcing you to buy several handy cooking gadgets to go along with it! The first one should be what is called the "place setter" which allows you to cook with indirect heat. Good luck in your venture!

I bought a pit boss 8???. Dont remember the exact model # but it's the one with the smoke stack. Does an awesome job.

12. Member
    I bought a Weber Summit 5 years ago and it works great. Looking at doing a Treager this spring.

13. Member
    I bought a Rec Tec pellet grill about a month ago and it is one fine grill.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tr21xb250 View Post
    I bought a Rec Tec pellet grill about a month ago and it is one fine grill.

Mine should be here any day now.

15. Member
    If I had to choose one unit for both grilling and smoking it would be a Komodo type grill. You can smoke ribs, brisket pork butt, etc and they also excel at high temp grilling for steak and other items.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by UkCatsBasser View Post
    Mine should be here any day now.
    You will find out it is everything you have seen or heard about.

There's a company in Sellersburg called Charcoal and More. They sell pellet smokers, wood smokers and several brands of lump charcoal. They also have a "BBQ camp" coming up that may help you decide what suits your needs best.
    2002 Ranger 520 DVX / 2002 225hp Optimax

18. Member
    Take a serious look at the kamado style grills/smokers. I have 2 large BGEs. The primo/beg/kamado joe brands are all very comparable. Their versatility is amazing. I've had mine for over 10 years and cook on them at least 3 nights a week.

19. Member
    I just got a Yoder YS640 pellet grill and I love it. Check them out.

20. Member
    You could buy a Weber kettle and a Weber smokey mountain for less than a ceramic kamado cooker.
    2013 Pro Team 190
    2013 Mercury 115 Optimax Pro XS
    Minn Kota 70# Edge
    22p LightSpeed Prop
    Humminbird 898 at console
    Humminbird 598 at bow

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast