2010 Mercury 115 Four Stroke

Question:

I lowered by pontoon in the water to let the engine run because it has been idle for a few months.

When I started the engine there wasn't any water coming out of the tell-tale hole. I let it idle about 3 mins but still no water.

I put the throttle in neutral and increased the RPMs to see if that would do the trick but after about 30 seconds it started beeping.
    When I put it back in neutral and the engine back to normal idle the beeping stopped but I never got any water out of the tell-tale so I turned it off.

Any chance I damaged the engine?

Thanks,
    Rich

Not an expert but. I have always been told do not run engine when no water is pumping out. The beep more than likely was an overheating warning. No clue on how long it takes on a 4 stroke but I would think really no different than a 2 stroke. I hope you have not damaged it but there is always that chance.
    2018 Phoenix 919, Mercury 225 Pro XS
    2016 Triton 179TrX, Mercury 115 4s
    1995 Bass Tracker 175Pro, 40hp Force
    1985 Bass Tracker 1800 Johnson 150 (I called it the lead sled)

3. Member
    Thanks for your reply. I hope I didn't do any damage as well. When I first bought the boat(June 2016) water didn't come out immediately but it was in the water so I put it in gear and the boat started to move then the water started coming out and it was fine all summer. No beeps. BTW its a 2013 not a 2010.

I plan to get it looked at when the dealership opens up after the first of the year.

Thanks again!

4. Member
    First thing I'd do is check to make sure the telltale hose is unobstructed. Dirt daubers and other critters can block the hose.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

5. Member
    Thanks Phil, I did that yesterday and there wasn't any obstruction that I could find.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please see the Forum Announcements, and be sure to provide the REQUIRED info when posting. Thanks!

The warning may have been a Neutral Overspeed Warning- these engines aren't designed to be accelerated in neutral (in gear only).

Could also have been low water pressure, overheat, etc.

You'll want to have the faults checked, and then address the water supply problem (if the telltale is not blocked, you'll want to start at the SOURCE: The Water Pump).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor