Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

To buy or not to buy ...that is the question

When you see this motors skeg, what do you think? No problem or run for the hills?

It's a 2006, 200HP Evinrude E-Tec.

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Banned
    Of course the initial thought is to run, but my boats skeg has some paint missing because I drug it into a gravel bar while at the trolling motor. Looks like helI, but it was really nothing that caused any kind of damage, other than to the paint.

3. Banned
    to me it's about are there any chunks missing or is it just wear and scraped off paint? I use my skeg as a pivot point when I beach softly on a ramp or into sand so the boat doesn't float off, so I have some wear, but am very careful with my skeg when running. I am a fan of motors that have been used, especially newer motors. These newer motors need to be used. When they sit, they blow up. Have the prop shaft checked out by a certified mechanic to make sure it's not bent, and check that it pees well and go ahead get a new water pump and you should be good to go.

4. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    That skeg looks like some of it is missing. I'm not real familiar with Evinrudes, but it sure seems like it slants to the rear at a sharper angle than normal.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billius View Post
    That skeg looks like some of it is missing. I'm not real familiar with Evinrudes, but it sure seems like it slants to the rear at a sharper angle than normal.
    Bill, I think you are right. Looks like it's ground down and looks like a bend or a wrinkle at the back end.

Missing paint isn't bad, I'd hate to see missing paint on the nose if it has nose cone intakes, I do agree that skeg looks a bit off, like it was patched up by removing an inch or so off the leading edge. My skeg has scuffing from sand but it was grinned so high the scrapes are nearly the same direction as the leading edge. Where as this skeg shows signs it was verticle while in the gravel.

7. Banned
    No offense to the op, but this picture sucks too

8. Banned
    Also, if you're nervous or hesitant, then pass. I didn't trust my instincts once and bought a lemon and found out later the guy I bought from was simply lying abut the boat to unload a problem. Nothing wrong with passing, and usually if something seems visually off, it is, especially in boats. You will know beyond a shadow when you find a gem, and you jump on it. It just takes patience.

9. Member
    Looks like my old 95 rude. Scratch paint while flipping. No problem. Run it like you stole it

That whole lower unit doesn't look right !! I'd pass
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

11. Member
    Personally I'd walk away, but that's just me..........

Looks previously loved. If you like the rest of the boat and that wouldnt bother you if it happened over time to your boat jump on it. If youre the type thatll never have a scratched up skeg from using it then you better stay away.

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

13. BBC SPONSOR
    My very first boat I bought looked very simular to this one. I owned it 13 years and never had a major issue with it. Maybe I was lucky.. idk. My second boat I bought the lower looked perfect and I rubbed some paint off of it myself, and again I had no issues with that lower unit/motor as well.

14. Member
    Mine has been like that back in 2002 or 03, and I still run it 200 to 300 days per year. Its not the skeg That would worry me, its the 06 E-tec

15. Member
    That skeg has been ground down. I had an '05 200 H.O. and it looks like at least an inch is off and at an odd angle.I'd pass.

Quote Originally Posted by CBChamp188 View Post
    That skeg has been ground down. I had an '05 200 H.O. and it looks like at least an inch is off and at an odd angle.I'd pass.
    I agree

17. Banned
    I'd venture that the skeg has been replaced at some point, given the weird angle at the rear.

18. Member
    If there is metal missing or it looks like a replacement has been welded on........RUN! If it was just paint wore off I would have no issue with it, hard to tell from the pic but it doesn't look right to me.

It may just be a poor picture. Aint it funny how guys always say they run repaired skegs and no problem cause they know a guy and all that

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

20. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    I think the owner did not take time to get a rattle can of spray paint and touch up the skeg. As long as the only issue is paint missing its a cosmetic fix than can easily be resolved.

I had a Evinrude I ran for 15 years. I was anal bout keeping the skeg painted. When I traded it after 15 years of use I was almost at the bottom of my second can of touch up paint. From a distance my skeg looked new but had I not used touch up paint it would have looked like the one in the picture. The paint on mine got removed when I would forget to trim up while I was fishing very shallow water. When I was on the trolling motor if I forget to trim the big motor up I would sometimes drag the skeg through mud/sand/gravel while fishing. Once the paint has been removed and you touch it up with rattle can spray paint its easily removed by friction running through the water. As long as there is noting else wrong but some missing paint I see no problem. If you want to replace the missing paint take the engine model number to a Evinrude dealer and they will have or can get you a can of touch up spray paint. You can also order on line at boats.net If my memory is correct a can of paint is around $8 and it last a really long time if all your doing is touch up work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast