Help with 1980 Charger purchase!

Hello! I am supposed to pick this boat up tomorrow at noon. I know very little about boats, and the only boat I have owned prior was a 14' aluminum boat. I looked at it today, and it appears to be in immaculate condition. The hull looks spotless, the transom seemed very solid, the carpet is new - and frankly the boat looks great. I haven't been able to test the motor, but am testing it before we exchange funds in the morning. Seeing as how I know very little about them, I wanted to ask if there was anything I should be aware of, or look for!

2. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Tap on everything,make sure floors are solid push on motor make sure transom is not moving ,just look at everything twice .If memory serves me correct it has a steel transom.

Alright - left today with a new-to-me boat! The engine seems to be in great condition. I wasn't able to start it because the barrel I brought wasn't large enough to get the prop in, but had good compression and the internals looked quite clean. Also had lots of paperwork showing the boat being serviced this past summer. Ultimately, for $1100, I decided it was worth the gamble. Sadly - I know nothing of where to start to make sure everything functions properly, and I have NO idea how to winterize the boat - so it's time for some reading!

At least I can say I am part of the Charger family!
    Last edited by ConstellationCity; 12-23-2016 at 09:21 PM.

Congrats man, enjoy her.

Is there any resource online for old Chargers? I am trying to locate which model this is - and am coming up short!

6. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    I would say it's a 747 ,there was a 270 18 ft and 290 19 ft.There should be a coast guard plate saying what it is .

7. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    I can email it if you can't see it.

9. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    I sent them to you let me know if that's better.

Quote Originally Posted by TOUCH OF CLASS View Post
    I sent them to you let me know if that's better.
    Yes I got it and it looks great! The deck plan is a little off, but I assume it may have varied by year. No idea what year this is - but its 17'1 so that would put it at the 747XL. Now to learn more about that, and whatever Mercury engine is on there!

11. Banned
    Congratulations on the buy looks like a very sweet older rig. Only mistake you made is buying a charger in a short time you will want a new one. As far as the motor goes you should be able to post the serial number in Mercury section and one of the guru's can answer any questions you have. As far as winterizing it just fill it up and add some seafoam, lower the motor so it will drain and it should be good. Every spring have a mercury tech change the lower unit lube and put a new water pump in it. With some general care that motor should last a long time.

I bought a 747XLT new in around 1978. IIRC, it was a 74" beam and 17 1/2' long. The HP rating was 125. I further recall that Charger introduced a V hull version of the same boat the next year or possibly in 1980 with the model 747XLV. Specs on it were the same as the sponsoned V hull I had. Solid rig.

Quote Originally Posted by cart7 View Post
    I bought a 747XLT new in around 1978. IIRC, it was a 74" beam and 17 1/2' long. The HP rating was 125. I further recall that Charger introduced a V hull version of the same boat the next year or possibly in 1980 with the model 747XLV. Specs on it were the same as the sponsoned V hull I had. Solid rig.
    I am fairly confident that this is, in fact, a 1978 747XLT. I wish I knew more about it - I paid $1100 for it. Bass Pro Shops in Olathe is going to do a free inspection for me. I know one of the live well hoses is broke, and the motor linkage has came off because the housing broke! Also - the speed controller has one red and one black lever. I think the black one is forward/N/reverse, but was is the red? A choke?