Thread: 99 surburban

99 surburban

I have a 1999 surburban that just passed 300k. internal engine all original. uses about half quart oil between changes at 5k. external stuff is nickel and dimeing me. how much life do you think is left in motor before its toast. practically all miles were towing

Hard to say without going over it. A compression check would help a lot to know. I'm assuming this has had the new intake gaskets put on it a while ago as that was a problem with that year. In that mileage range, it could go on forever or grenade tomorrow.
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    2005 Lund Rebel SS 1650 w/25 HP Merc 4-stroke
    USAF 1985 - 2006 NKAWTG!

3. Banned
    I agree. Have the compression checked and the engine scoped out. If it checks out good, run it until it dies.

That vintage vehicle never dies. You just find a good ole engine and go again.

4. Member
    munchie very diificult situation. I have a 2002 Suburban with 225K miles and am considering another vehilce but DAMN the prices ! I have talked with a local shop about new transmission and either rebuilding or replacing the engine . Looking at around 10K for both,depending on engine , I have had maintenance done regularly , interior repaired on driver side etc. Difficult call.

5. Member
    Before spending a lot of money on an older vehicle, you might want to take a good look at the condition of the frame before spending. I made the mistake several years ago of replacing a 350 in my Z-71 with a brand new Chevy crate engine 3 months later the frame cracked in half.
    This October, on the newer Z-71, the rear shock mounts rusted off and had to be replaced. I put another $500 into this truck. The mechanic was lowering the truck off the lift and we did a visual of the frame. It was so weak, it Bent where the arms of the lift were.

6. Member
    excellent point Go Loco,thanks

Considering the value of that truck is pretty low then running it until it does die won't really cost you much. I probably would not spend much on it except wear and tear items. If something else popped up that was going to cost me more than a few hundred bucks I'd probably get rid of it at that time.

Of course, I'm ignoring the possibility that it could leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere, or worse, and that could be pretty bad.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

8. Member
    Rebuilt a 1983 GMC pickup once and by the time I got done I could have had a decent late model used truck. Don't get me wrong the GMC was a nice truck when it was done but it was still an old truck. The motor, trans, paint, and interior were new but the rest of the truck, the frame and running gear were still old. In other words it was still a 1983 GMC and basically that was what it was worth, not to me but to everyone else. I would not do it again and my advise would be to take your $ and put it towards something newer .

9. Member
    I'm kind of in the same boat. I have a 98 2dr Tahoe 4x4 LT with 218k on original motor and transmission. All I've ever done is fuel pump, radiator, and some front end work. She doesn't use oil but I have a leak at either the oil sending unit or the rear main. I don't drive it hardly at all but I really don't want to sell it as I'm kind of sentimental to it but I think I'm going to just break down and sell her. I can use the money from it and trading my current vehicle toward a new/newer truck sometime this year. I'd love to make the ol girl like new again but it just wouldn't be worth it unless I had money to burn.

10. Member
    thanks guys. never thought about frame getting that week. crazy think has put me down 3 times in last rwo years. always some $50 sensor or something stupid. major stuff (transmission, etc ) give warnings before breaking and I have fixed before hitting road. guess even newer truck could still have bad sensor occasionally.
    guess when it goes will just have to suck it up I was surprised it has made it this far and still runs this well.

11. Member
    The TBI GM Trucks are one of the best trucks IMO along with the early 90's diesel Dodges. Both these trucks can hit 500k no sweat without any major repairs. Changing coolant often is critical along with making sure your grounds stay clean. Old coolant starts to eat gaskets and even faster without good grounds. I've even had the original front end(Tie rods, Pitman arms, ball joints) up till 300k on these trucks, just have to grease them without over greasing where you blow out the seals.
    2005 206
    BRP 225 H.O. (E225DHLSOF)
    Fury 4 24p @ 5,750 fully loaded