Having trouble achieving good side vu images

Hello, I am having trouble getting good and clear side vu images. I have moved the transducer several times. 2D and down vu seem good. I have tried slower and fasted speeds. Can anyone give me some advice?

echoMap CHIRP 73SV
    GT52HW - transom mount

2. Member
    The pics are too small to really evaluate, but look fine otherwise. What exactly were you expecting?

3. Member
    Thanks for your reply. Let me see if I can give you larger images. I am just not seeing the detail that I see in others screen shots.

Looks about right for a Garmin

5. Member
    Looks good to me

Don't listen to MonteSS, he's frustrated with Garmin and has nothing good to say about them.
    I get better images with my chirp unit, look at possible interference or transducer placement and angle.
    Also make sure you're not looking at a sandy bottom choose an area that has structure, look for trees, rocks, ledges.
    Increase your boat speed play with contrast or brightness.
    For me increasing scroll speed and contrast gives me better side vu images.
    Don't give up on your unit,,, it's a great unit.
    C//

Would you mind posting a few of your SI/DI for Charlie to see?

8. Member
    Good suggestions Astrochris. I'm in down time here in this part of the country and in process of fine tuning my transducer placement. I didn't think about scroll speed. My echoMap CHIRP 73sv produces excellent 2D and dv images. I am extremely happy with it. The last month or so of the season I started using side view and noticed it was not up to Garmin standards. I can't wait to get back out on open water. Thank you for your suggestions. I need help with this and any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

9. Member
    Here is a few of my 2D and dv images.

Charlie,
    I see nothing wrong with your images , except in image number 1 where those vertical dotted lines seem to be some kind of interference.
    Also I don't think you shouldn't expect any text book results if your speed is at zero.

I just got my chirp unit in late October so I haven't taken too many screenshots and was only out twice with the boat before putting it away for winter.
    I've been running a non-chirp Echomap unit for the past two years and I have always had good result, until I changed some wires around and got major interference.

Here is the link to a few screenshots that I took on my first time out with the chirp unit.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=758977

Cheers !!
    C//
    Last edited by Astrochris; 12-25-2016 at 11:08 AM.

11. Banned
    try deeper water where there is actually structure to image. You really aren't going to see sheeeit at 4.2 and 6.2 FOW. Set your scroll speed to fast, turn up the contrast a notch and check out some deeper structure/points. Idle the boat past at like 3-5 mph.

The thing with side imaging I had to get past was to not worry about looking for fish. More often then not you aren't going to see great returns from fish if they are relating to the bottom. Instead use it to find structure, bottom composition transitions, elevation changes.

12. Member
    I have a 93sv with the same ducer. I just switched from a hds with lss2 and I thought I lost a little bit of detail on side view with the Garmin. But I have not played with it much. Hope to fine tune after my hands / wrists heal from surgery. When I first installed the low lss2 the details were off and blurry. Turned out the ducer was not level enough. When I got the correct install angle the details came alive. This could be the case with the 52 as well. It is in a different spot on the kayak bottom and I have not tried any angle adjustments. With all that said I am fine with my current side detail. I see boulders, trees, shadows from dropoffs, etc. Could it be better - sure. I personally would rather see the fish pop out in the views more than making a tree look perfect. My main goal was to try panoptix and utilize decent chirp for 2d.

Quote Originally Posted by MonteSS View Post
    Looks about right for a Garmin
    What did I say wrong? His images look just like mine and many others I have seen. So his are about right.

Quote Originally Posted by MonteSS View Post
    What did I say wrong? His images look just like mine and many others I have seen. So his are about right.
    I don't think you said anything wrong..I tend to agree with your previous post..