Picking up a 21i Friday

Its a 2008 21i with Yamaha 250 and 145 original hours. It is showroom clean. No issues, just could use new trolling batteries. Negotiated 26,000 for it. I don't know skeeter values at all, this will be my first one. Is that a fair price? If not what is it worth? Hope to be happy with it, only been in a skeeter once!

2. Scraps
    I don't know either, but I do think that vintage i-class hull is a good one compared to others since.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

3. Member
    I would say it was a fair price. Depends on what extras you got too.

4. Member
    If it has be taken care of it's more than fair.

5. Member
    It's like new far as I can tell. It's loaded from the factory, but just has basic locators. Never had aftermarket on it. Which didn't bother me, i've got new garmins waiting for me to install them once I bring it home.
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Member
    Nice looking boat I think 26 is fair

7. Member
    First Skeeter, be cautious that the DMS brain may go soon. Roughly $420. Also take care of that motor too.

8. Member
    Anything in particular I need to do different to take care of this motor? I've always ran mercs.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Horton View Post
    Anything in particular I need to do different to take care of this motor? I've always ran mercs.
    Plenty of discussion on the HPDI over on the Yam section. In a nut shell the 3.3 VMAX HPDI was the worst motor Yamaha made reliability wise IMO. Very prone to injector failure, locator pin failure or detonation. Either one and your block will need some attention. Normally a new power head. Particulars to the motor are very subjective.

Also be careful on rough roads or rough bumps etc... Those torsion axles are also common to fail. Another item that is not cheap.

Not trying to scare you out of the boat, but also not trying to leave you shocked either. Loved my I class, but boat and motor were a money pit. Just trying to keep you prepared and give some advise to help negate some of the common issues.

10. Member
    I've heard of the common Yamaha issues, but being a mercury guy I've seen plenty of them blow up as well. I think Any of them are a crap shoot. As for the boat and trailer, that sucks. I can't believe they had that many issues as much as I hear people love the i class.

That Yamaha is a fantastic motor. Ring free, startron every fill up. Change the plugs every year and run 91 octane. Make sure to change out all of the filters unless you know when they were serviced last. I don't trust anyone so I do all service my self.
    Nothing wrong with the torsion axel trailers unless it's been abused. Yours looks like new.
    I think you scored a very fair deal for a garage kept low hour boat.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

13. Member
    Congrat's on the new ride. Earlier this year I picked up a 2007 21i with a 300HPDI (93 hours) for a bit less $.
    Previous owner was a clutz and put a lot of scratches on it but not many hours. He traded it in on a new Ranger and has busted it up twice.
    Mine came with Lowrance electronics. Pretty darn satisfied so far.
    2007 Skeeter 21i 300HDPI

14. Banned
    That Yamaha is a fantastic motor. Ring free, Stabil every fill up. Change the plugs every year and run 91 octane.
    Nothing wrong with the torsion axle trailers unless it's been abused. Yours looks brand new.
    IMO you got a very good deal for a garage kept low hour boat, not to mention its fine looking!
    Handles rough water very well. Congratulations!!

Nice rig! On the HPDI you could get dealer to check motor serial number for service bulletins or replacement parts to see if there is anything that might be a issue.
    Kerry Copeland
    2015 Skeeter ZX250/250 SHO
    Decatur, Alabama

I can't tell from the pic but I assume it's an HPDI Series 2? I have an '08 20i and had the motor tuned up with a new pump, plugs and filters this past spring. It was just preventative work because it ran fine before. Ran like a champ all year. You're going to love it!

17. Member
    I bought my 09 or 30k so you got a good deal. mine has the 300 w/ 98hs

18. Member
    Nice looking boat. I think it's a great deal. I know it wouldn't last around my area at that price

19. Member
    Congrats on your purchase!! I absolutely LOVE my 06 20i. After being in it for 4 years now I dont have any desire to even look at anything different. My HPDI 250 has been outstanding so far and I also do the ringfree stabil and seafoam mix in every fill up. Really the biggest disappointment for me and others from what Ive read on here is the trailer. I did have one of the torsion axels fail. After some research on here I read the axels basically have a recall/warranty on them. I called the company and I had to fill out a simple claim form and send a couple pics of the failed axle, they sent 2 brand new axles and all i was responsible for was painting them and the install, and the install really was pretty simple. Just a little info incase the same thing happens too you.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ttocs258 View Post
    Congrats on your purchase!! I absolutely LOVE my 06 20i. After being in it for 4 years now I dont have any desire to even look at anything different. My HPDI 250 has been outstanding so far and I also do the ringfree stabil and seafoam mix in every fill up. Really the biggest disappointment for me and others from what Ive read on here is the trailer. I did have one of the torsion axels fail. After some research on here I read the axels basically have a recall/warranty on them. I called the company and I had to fill out a simple claim form and send a couple pics of the failed axle, they sent 2 brand new axles and all i was responsible for was painting them and the install, and the install really was pretty simple. Just a little info incase the same thing happens too you.
    That's great information, thanks! This trailer doesn't have any miles on it at all, but being in Oklahoma these roads might as well be like old wagon trails. Glad to know I can possibly get it warrantied if it does fail.

The boat has been running and fishing great! So far I love it.