Trailer or no Trailer

So I'm new to the world of kayak fishing. Just bought my first (wilderness systems atak 140) kayak. I have an older Tahoe, so it plenty big enough to car top. But should I really get a trailer to make life easier? Or will putting the kayak on roof be easy enough to not worry about a trailer? All opinions appreciated.
    Looking at a used yakima rack-n-roll. Will this trailer be ok at highway speeds for an hour or 2 drive?

2. Member
    First off congrats on the new yak. That is a very nice yak. It will be a chore to car top it unless you spend a good chunk of $$$ and purchase a help lift system. That yak empty is 86 lbs and even a 2wd Tahoe still has a tall roofline. Hate to say this but IMO - depending on your height and physical abilities it could range from a semi-tough job to down right (why the heck did I buy this thing / screw this). If I was stuck in the same situation I would look into something like the strong arm kayak loader hitch. But I am short and not getting any younger.

A small trailer would be preferred. Those Yakima are built pretty well and should have no issues with your yak and highway speeds. A small pwc trailer would work great as well. Should be able to find them cheaper in the winter time as jet skis and such go unused. If you are constantly launching where boat ramps exist, small trailers will work awesome.

3. Member
    I can't add much to what has already been said. If you have the room to store it, a trailer will make your trips easier and more fun. You will go more often.
    I had to buy a 9 ft yak because it will fit Inside of my van.

I tried sliding a longer yak inside of the van and tying the rear hatch shut. Road fumes almost killed me. Get a trailer.

Lots of guys have modified the Harbor Freight trailers. richg99

4. Official BBC Highjacker bassboogieman's Avatar
    That size kayak I would trailer, but then I'm in my mind-60's with a bad back. I have a couple Hobie PA-14's a use a utility trailer purchased at Harbor Freight, cheap and does the job. It's made a couple trips to Florida, and the only thing I upgraded were the tires.

The trailer is much easier (and quicker) loading/launching, especially when at a ramp where you can back right to the water. Trailers eliminate the need to remove all your gear before muscling it up on your roof, or truck bed. Mine stay on the trailer in the garage, and hooking up and going fishing is quick & easy as everything is together and ready to go.

I would use a trailer with that. I never had to car top my Pro Angler unless we went camping and its heavy. I modified an old boat trailer to haul 4 Yaks and that's the best thing I ever done. When 3 or 4 of use go we just load em on my trailer and head on..

98 Bullet 20XD
    225 Pro Max

Trailer it. A buddy has one as well and even with his truck bed being lower to the ground he trailers it.

7. Member
    I'm going to buy a Harbor Freight trailer and let you guys know how it turns out. I have a WS ride 135. Right now I'm using Yakima outdoorsmam truck racks for my F-150 but it's way to heavy and awkward to load alone, plus I like my bed covered

8. Member
    One comment that I read about the Harbor Freight trailers was to be certain to buy some lock washers before you put it together.

Apparently, lock washers are NOT included and they would be a good addition for just a few bucks.

Since your trailer will not be touching water often, you may not have the constant issue of bad grounds. On my new-to-me trailers, I usually replace the incandescent lighting with a LED unit and add complete white ground wires all of the way to the front on both sets of lights.

richg99

9. Official BBC Highjacker bassboogieman's Avatar
    The Harbor Freight trailers use nylock nuts. I've had mine 3 years and a trip to FL and no loose bolts. One thing with them though are the tires, if you plan on any long distance hauling replace them. They are cheap Chinese tires rated for only 55 MPH, I would not trust them for any extended driving at highway speeds. You may also get LED lights now, I got a set sent to me under a recall notification.

This was the original Harbor Freight trailer 4' x 8. The carpeted bunks I had laying around, but changed them to PVC as the Kayak tended to slide around on them. The PVC holds the kayak in place MUCH better. The trailer has undergone several modifications since the first effort. I actually purchased a second trailer kit and extended the trailer to 4' x 12' to eliminate the overhang of the 14' yaks and it now carriers two. I did replace the tires, as mentioned, prior to going to FL. Looks more like this now, I have a second set of PVC rails for when I carry both kayaks.
    Last edited by bassboogieman; 01-16-2017 at 02:53 PM.

10. Member
    Good news....then.

11. Banned
    Look for a used jetski trailer. They will fit most kayaks comfortably with minimal modifications.

Quote Originally Posted by psj706 View Post
    Look for a used jetski trailer. They will fit most kayaks comfortably with minimal modifications.
    That's a really good idea.
    25th Anniversary Champion 187 SCX Elite
    Mercury 175 EFI
    Perception Pescador Pro 120 Kayak
    Aquos 10ft Pontoon Boat