Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    You need to be able to cut off the fuel pump should an emergency arise. And it needs to be a low pressure pump.
    Thanks for this. I've been thinking about the fuel issues. I want to be able to see the fuel pressure after the priming pump, before it enters the OX66. Another sensor! These companies do not make it easy for us either. The Lowrance pressure sensor is $200. Looking for alternative... I'm going to find something more robust that costs much less.

2. Member
    Random thoughts: I'm coming up against so many considerations. The V0.1 is scheduled for 10 weeks. The lead time on some of the instrumentation is a couple of weeks. Plan accordingly! This will probably result in me having to simulate the signals while programming.

The biggest hurdle I have now is defining the budget. Sourcing the proper instrumentation for the project is time consuming, and marine grade consumer transmitters are expensive. I could do most of the work in one week, if I had the proper budget. With a ten week initial schedule, I have to reduce the amount of complexity, and cost.

See if you can borrow a Fluke 743 Documenting Process Calibrator. It'll work great for doing your simulations and signal injections.

I have to ask,
    What are the advantages suppose to be controlling your boat from your smart phone ? Although I wouldn't mind my phone telling me when someone is around or messing with my rig. some mercury style switch or today's equivalent . advocate .
    1995 CHAMPION 171 DC

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Groma View Post
    I have to ask,
    What are the advantages suppose to be controlling your boat from your smart phone ? Although I wouldn't mind my phone telling me when someone is around or messing with my rig. some mercury style switch or today's equivalent . advocate .
    Hmmmmm, an app that alerts you when your boat has a motion detector set off??? I think it would sell!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Groma View Post
    I have to ask,
    You pretty much answered your own question. FYI, Im not making a boat controller. I have the entire platform. I'm trying to apply this to the boat because it will be fun to do, and I'm trying to make this accessible for everyone at a cheaper price.

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by concept10 View Post
    You pretty much answered your own question. FYI, Im not making a boat controller. I have the entire platform. I'm trying to apply this to the boat because it will be fun to do, and I'm trying to make this accessible for everyone at a cheaper price.
    You might need to dumb it down for a few of us, lol.

I'm hearing ya...great idea!
    1998 202 DC / Mercury 300R

9. Member
    Attached Images Attached Images

10. Member
    Didn't give up on this project. Almost done - performing testing this weekend. I'm pretty sure no one is currently using this tech, but everyone will want it when I'm complete. Future versions will be made for all vehicles. Fishing boats, motorcycles, yachts, sailboats, cars. It's going to be awesome!

11. Member
    [QUOTE=concept10;9496175]but everyone will want it when I'm complete./QUOTE]

Pretty cool project..but not "everyone" will want it. Remember that the definition of ultimate is very open ended...

12. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    Hmmmmm, an app that alerts you when your boat has a motion detector set off??? I think it would sell!
    Not all lakes have adequate cell coverage. TH Marine has an alarm that has a pager like device they say is (supposed to be) good to about 3000'. Half that would cover most fish camps. Some guy had a YouTube video using a remote control baby monitor camera. So you might look into apps that can control baby monitors.

https://thmarinesupplies.com/product...t-alarm-system

13. Member
    [QUOTE=FastBird;9496221]
    but everyone will want it when I'm complete./QUOTE]

Pretty cool project..but not "everyone" will want it. Remember that the definition of ultimate is very open ended...
    FastBird - the word ultimate is very subjective. I'm not here to brag, show off or anything of that nature. When I say everyone will want it, it's my personal opinion. I've been through many headaches trying to accomplish this, and believe me everyone doesn't see the vision. It's the same as the year 2006 when we were discussing the then UNRELEASED iPhone. Back then no one would not believe _most_ people would end up with a smart device that they carry everyday. Billions sold.....

My only purpose here is to utilize my close to 30 years experience working with automation, instrumentation and control systems in the US Navy, oil fields, and everywhere else to produce a system that's cost effective for consumers to utilize this tech.

I don't expect everyone will want one - and honestly I don't care. I don't expect for everyone to like it, or me, or any other expectations for that matter.

If you don't want to know the status of your boat remotely, it's fine with me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For every experience that Ive had in life, it will be of great assistance to me to ASK my boat "What is battery 2 voltage" and it says "Battery 2 is at 14.11 volts"

If you don't want it - you can keep what you have?!

14. Banned
    It's not for me... But keep us informed... It's always nice to have the info if needed... Dan

15. Member
    On a Ticonderoga class guided middle cruiser, we used to have 3 people in each engine room (2), 2 people in auxiliary 1, 1 in aux 2, and 4 more people manning the consoles to monitor and control 7 gas turbines engines and all associated support equipment. Newer ships have less than half of the people. This is all done with automation. While I don’t agree with replacing people with tech, it’s going to happen wether we like it or not.

Some automation improves th quality of life for some. Believe me I know it. You wouldn’t believe it, but I’ve spent a third of my life walking around and collecting this information by hand... on ships... in wartime... underway.

I prefer to be on the side of fast moving tech industry before they replace me.

16. Member
    Thanks for the post. I've been working on this integration. I can currently view video of my house from the boat, and the other way around. I'm able to do things such as ask the boat to display the garage camera. All of this stuff is easily done with products they are selling these days. I'm still working on security features. I'm looking for some kind of electric locking boat latches.

Is this useful? I have the manual somewhere so I can get the rest. It's for a 1997 202 Bass & Bay.
    Personally, bass boat wiring, even Champion, is chitty, more like 10 lbs of poo in a 5 lb bag IMHO.
    I'd do as suggested earlier and tear it all out and start over, that's what I'm in the process of doing now.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMouth View Post
    Is this useful? I have the manual somewhere so I can get the rest. It's for a 1997 202 Bass & Bay.
    Personally, bass boat wiring, even Champion, is chitty, more like 10 lbs of poo in a 5 lb bag IMHO.
    I'd do as suggested earlier and tear it all out and start over, that's what I'm in the process of doing now.

BigMouth,

Thanks for posting this. I agree with what was suggested earlier, but I'm just a fiend for drawings, and documentation. I want to make my 202 ready for occasional saltwater use, so I'm replacing all of the wiring, and fittings. Do you know what's specifically different about the setup of your boat vs a regular freshwater 202? Any help is greatly appreciated, and thanks again.

BigMouth,

Thanks for posting this. I agree with what was suggested earlier, but I'm just a fiend for drawings, and documentation. I want to make my 202 ready for occasional saltwater use, so I'm replacing all of the wiring, and fittings. Do you know what's specifically different about the setup of your boat vs a regular freshwater 202? Any help is greatly appreciated, and thanks again.
    The big one is "NO CARPET!" Wiring is also different although I couldn’t give you specifics other than it is sealed better and perhaps uses different connectors/switches. I have a C-channel galvanized trailer, possibly the ugliest trailer in existence but on the plus side? It can’t get any uglier. Don’t know if I’m saying this right or not but the inside layout has less cutouts than a normal Champ. Thats off the top of my head if I recall more I'll post them for you.

Can't do it right away but will try an copy off manual and get a .pdf to you.

p.s. Plz redesign TM mount so its less obtrusive into line of sight, especially with the tall Ultrex mount. Maybe do away with TM by using a jet pump and flush mounts around the hull? In my case that would get 80+ lbs off the nose of my boat.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123