Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking to buy G2....What should I pay?

Looking to buy a 225hp G2. Called my dealer and they quoted me $22,165 plus tax and freight. I'm looking at atleast $24.5K for the motor alone. Add the rigging kit and labor to install and it could end up costing $27K. Seems high as hell to me. I really want this motor. There has to be a better alternative. Anybody know of a dealer that sells cheap and will ship it to CA? If I don't have to pay sales tax and can buy it closer to cost I think I can save $4K-$5K. I believe I got quoted MSRP at $22,165. My understanding is most dealers charge cost for outboards and then make money off rigging and future service.
    HELP

I

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Right now BRP has a sales incentive. You may want to inform your dealer if he doesn't know.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=765283

3. Member
    MSRP on the 225 HO with integrated hydraulic steering is $25280, $22165 is the minimum advertised price (MAP) designated by Evinrude. The MAP versus invoice is not nearly as high as you are estimating. That being said there are a lot of different sales programs so its impossible to tell how much one dealer pays vs another.

The engine must be installed by an Evinrude dealer or it will have NO warranty. Trying to find a dealer that will do that for a new engine they did not provide could be difficult.

What I would do it just get on the phone or email and contact as many evinrude dealers as you can. I dont know much about CA, never been there, but ive had discussions with a dealer from Catalina Island and he seems to be a great resource if that area is anywhere near you. I dont know about his prices but he just seemed knowledgeable.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishfelon View Post
    Looking to buy a 225hp G2. Called my dealer and they quoted me $22,165 plus tax and freight.
    Your dealer should be able to do close to that price with free rigging components and a 5 year warranty. I don't believe any dealer is going to give you a motor at cost.

5. Member
    i priced a 200 hp last spring and i was around 19k out the door, rigging, tax and prop.
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

I appreciate the info and PM's.
    I have been doing a lot of reading on the net and there have been a few people get some deals but that was last year. It's a different ballgame now with the warranty.
    I am aware that it needs to be installed by an authorized Evinrude dealer and that could complicate things. Turning someone away because they did not buy the motor from me seems dumb but I know it happens.
    I have contacted a couple dealers by email and one by phone and they claimed they would give me a quote but nobody ever got back to me.

Saturday I went down to my boat dealer that used to sell Evinrudes but quit selling them because the demand in CA is low for em. The owner is a straight up guy and he said he sells Mercury's and Yamaha's at cost. I guess he makes his money rigging and future service on the motor. Maybe cost to him was the minimum MAP price. He said he could get me in a 225 SHO rigged out the door for around $19K. Don't know if that is a good price but I don't want that motor.

7. Member
    There are a lot of dealers that are not as experienced with the G2 engines and with the completely different rigging procedure it can be a little confusing for a dealer to figure out exactly what they need. Therefore it is harder to quote and may take more time/effort to get the numbers together since they are less familiar with the procedure. Its more of an administrative hurdle that anything else because once you have everything in hand its very easy to put everything together.

This could explain the delay in some of the quotes and something ive heard from other people. So i wouldnt write them off just yet, maybe a follow up call will help.

I was thinking a G2 Repower, someday but I'd rather have this
    http://www.mby.com/gear/200hp-diesel-outboard-42024

-----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

You could try RangerRodney on this board...he sells a lot of motors. Not sure what he'd do on a G2...never hurts to ask. Otherwise, if you're in no hurry, the ski teams sell their motors in the classified sections on this board every year. Just need to watch and be ready to move on one when it pops up.
    2016 Alumacraft 165 Classic with 50hp Yamaha. 80# Terrova w/US2

2021 Nitro ZV20 300 Pro XS 15 Pro Kicker Lowrance and Terrova

Called a dealer in sales tax free Oregon. About a 6 hour drive. Their quote was $19,200 for the motor. Combine that with $2K savings on the sales tax and its $4K cheaper then the quote I got yesterday.
    I do have a line on one of those ski team motors. They come with a 5yr warranty and 100 hrs on the motor. That would save me $5K versus new but the warranty is half of new and the motor is used. Not sure what to do.

Oregon here you come. Haha I'd drive there from ND for that savings and the fun drive.

13. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    If you get it in Oregon are they going to rig it for you? Or is your local dealer going to do the install?

Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    If you get it in Oregon are they going to rig it for you? Or is your local dealer going to do the install?
    I would prefer my local dealer do it so I wouldn't have to drag my boat up there. If I have to get it done there then so be it. I'm hoping to find someone online that sells em cheap that can ship to my dealer.

15. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishfelon View Post
    I would prefer my local dealer do it so I wouldn't have to drag my boat up there. If I have to get it done there then so be it. I'm hoping to find someone online that sells em cheap that can ship to my dealer.
    You won't find a Jaco's with these motors.

I don't know what a Jaco is. If it has something to do with finding a cheap one I really don't expect that. I'm realistic in what the cost is going to be.

17. Member
    Now you know what a Jaco's is - http://jacosmarine.com/

Seem's nearly every dealer around here is a "Jaco's". Mercury or Yamaha. Those are pretty much the only two motors you see around here. When I was used boat shopping dang near every boat had a Merc or Yammi and darn near everyone of them had a new powerhead.

19. Member
    I see they are only sell Merc now. From what I know at one stage they were selling every brand-I can only guess the others got sick of them selling engine's in boxes, or M made them an offer they could not refuse.

20. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Where ever you purchase,the motor needs to be rigged by a trained Evinrude tech that is familiar with the G2 due to rigging complexities. Its not your typical slap it on the transom hook up the cables and wire it up and go. By not using an Evinrude dealer you will void any warranty.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast