Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gel Cracks Questions

My neighbor bout a new 21XRD in 2013. It only has bout 150 hours or so and stays inside in tip top shape. I noticed this weekend he had gel cracks that are comming from one of the TM mounting holes. It hasn't been tightened since new and is not loose also there has been no major impacts to the TM or that area. My question is should the dealer that installed the TM or Bullet themselves step up for the repair cost or should it fall to the owner.? 3 hairline cracks...1" to 3"s. Opinions please.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

Quote Originally Posted by crank68 View Post
    My neighbor bout a new 21XRD in 2013. It only has bout 150 hours or so and stays inside in tip top shape. I noticed this weekend he had gel cracks that are comming from one of the TM mounting holes. It hasn't been tightened since new and is not loose also there has been no major impacts to the TM or that area. My question is should the dealer that installed the TM or Bullet themselves step up for the repair cost or should it fall to the owner.? 3 hairline cracks...1" to 3"s. Opinions please.
    I imagine on the owner.
    How was trolling motor put in water regularly? Etc. I changed from omc
    To a tour edition with old gator mount.
    Noticed a little less sturdy than most boats
    In that area
    1998 bullet 20xd 2006 225 sport xs

My guess is the owner. To many variables to hold someone accountable for an add on. Might be worth looking at seeing if the holes were sealed up and not soaking up water. Just a thought

The bow on these boats is too thin for a trolling motor. My bow flexes with my troller and I only have a 80lb thrust... I actually glued a 3/4 inch piece of treated plywood underneath to help beef mine up. It still flexes. It is stupid that the mounting area is not flat to mate to the mount properly...

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

I thought they had "some" reinforcement where the TM mounts....I thought I saw it at the plant....
    www.ncboatguy.com

No dog in this fight as I don't have a bullet, but my best friends bullet has one of the best finishes I've ever seen on a boat. His is a 2007 20 xd and I have yet to see a blimish on it.

7. Member
    I put a treated piece of plywood under the cap on my new one, pretty stable, but I will agree, they need to be beefed up in the trolling motor area

What are y'all attaching the additional support to the underside with?
    www.ncboatguy.com

9. Member
    I cut a piece of 3/8 aluminum to match the mount. When I installed the trolling motor I ran stainless bolts through trolling motor, top cap then aluminum plate and put flat washers and neoprene nut. Also recommend a bounce buster for trolling motor

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mojomaster200xp View Post
    I cut a piece of 3/8 aluminum to match the mount. When I installed the trolling motor I ran stainless bolts through trolling motor, top cap then aluminum plate and put flat washers and neoprene nut. Also recommend a bounce buster for trolling motor
    The problem with a bounce buster is that if the trolling motor is standard mounted, the buster sets on the top cap. I don't like that at all. I probably should have looked a little harder at the Tennessee mount.

Off topic but the SS has a nice mount area for the troller!

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Just in time View Post
    Off topic but the SS has a nice mount area for the troller!
    I liked that about the SS and wondered why they didnt do that on the XRS & SDC.
    Last edited by rocketmanjp; 12-20-2016 at 09:34 AM. Reason: i made a mistake

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketmanjp View Post
    I liked that about the SS and wondered why they didnt do that on the XRS & SDC.
    Me too! That was one of my favorite features on the SS..

My 2010 is pretty strudy, all I did was put some home made aluminum washers out of think plate.
    I wanted mind to rest over top cap so i made a bounce buddy out of a ss bolt and silicon a walking cane boot thing on end of bolt head.Works great.I'll try to find a pic.

15. Member
    If the holes weren't drilled small, countersunk then drilled to the correct size gel cracks can start at the sharp edge of the hole.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crank68 View Post
    What are y'all attaching the additional support to the underside with?
    with the mounting bolts and washers and nuts, just like normal with the board under the top cap

17. Member
    I have owned 3 Bullets during a 22 plus year period and never had a issue with any problems of cracking around the TM area on the cap. Sounds like a installation issue.
    2005 21XD W/ 2005 MERC 250XS BULLET TOTAL PERFORMANCE BOAT!!

18. Member
    Bullet is actually about to fix mine . My boat has cracks in multiple places . Bullet fixing it no questions asked is just another reason I'm glad I own one. My boat is 2015 xrs, it has cracks around TM, console and in the back around light plug in

19. Member
    I had an XRS it had cracks all over the top cap with only 15 hours before I even fished 1 tournament out of it .Bullet took care of the problem it took 2 months.The boat was a blast to drive.But the problem turned me off to there boats.

20. Member
    Hope they don't keep mine 2 months

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast