Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Way to label line size/brand/type on rods?

I have tried various ways to label the test and type/brand of line on my rods over the last couple of years. I carry about 35-40 rod and reel combos in the boat and sometimes differentiating 10 from 12, or 12 from 14 pound, 14 from 17 etc. is difficult. I normally crank small stuff with 10 or 12 and squarebills with 14, 17 or 20, so it can be a pain to try to figure out what line I put on what rod a month ago. I will flip with Pline CXX, but use other brands for other applications. Nothing I have tried has worked real well. If anyone has a better idea I am all ears. Something cheap and readily available would be good.

I have seen the line labels sold on Tackle Warehouse, but have shyed away from purchasing them, but maybe they are worth it. Anyone have any experience with these? http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Highw...age-TACKL.html

I also don't need them for braid as I only use two different sizes. 65 and 35 pound test. These from TW also don't allow you write in the brand name of the line.

This is what I have tried so far:

I have written the size on the rod handle with a fine tip sharpie. It it messy, wears off quickly, and doesn't work well on black EVA foam handles. Got away from this. Sharpie comes off easily with de-natured alcohol in case you are wondering.

Written line size with a sharpie on the reels. Doesn't work well with black Lews reels.

Used an Avery label maker, but can't get the labels to stay on worth a hoot. I usually will wrap them around the rod in front of the foregrip, but eventually they all will start to come off and become a PIA.

Last attempt was just using the cheap garage sale type stick on's and writing on them. These will stay on, but if they get wet the deteriorate. In general they deteriorate quickly.

I am out of ideas.
    Last edited by Amistad Tackle; 10-21-2016 at 12:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Amistad Tackle View Post

Used an Avery label maker, but can't get the labels to stay on worth a hoot. I usually will wrap them around the rod in front of the foregrip.
    This is what I do also, but I get a small piece of clear packaging tape and wrap around the label, making sure it overlaps. Works great and doesn't come off.

3. Member
    Will give that a try. Thanks!!!!

4. Member
    Yep. I don't label my rods but do Avery label my golf clubs. A piece of Scotch tape, wrapped all around and over the label, lasts for years.

5. Member
    I've used small zip ties just in front of the handle. They come in several different colors and you can use a different color for each line size. You could use a second one to designate line type if needed. The zip ties stay on until you cut them off.

6. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    I use one of these with Vinyl tape, they are water proof and dont come off
    https://www.amazon.com/DYMO-RhinoPRO...ino+6000&psc=1
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

I use little stickers on the bottom of the rod. They seem to stay on good and are fairly easy to read
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Member
    I have tried all the above. What i do now is just keep the same size line on each reel all the time. Ive learned to memorize what is what...and i keep a log on note book paper when it was put on date wise.
    2009 Z8 -2013 250 PRO XS-Dual 10' Power Pole Blades-Humminbird 1198,1197,998-MG 109-

I use rolls of white friction tape, the kind you use to hold gauze onto wound or cut. I wrap it twice around the rod near the hook holder and write what size and kind of line with permanent magic marker.
    Fart proudly. Author, Benjamin Franklin.

1998 SKEETER ZX 202-C
    150 V-Max TRP
    MinnKota Ultrex-112. All paid with cash of course!

10. Member
    I use medical tape also. Mine is 1/2" wide,I cut a short piece,write the info on it and stick it on the reel just behind the reel handle. I usually change line about once a month and it will last that long easily.

11. Member
    1" blue painters tape

I put my label on the reel. I wipe it off with some alcohol before I put the label one and it stays just fine.

BTW...That's an old pic. I do change my line more often than every 4 years.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

13. Member
    I label my reels exactly the same way. I thought I was the only person OCD enough to do that. I do use smaller tape though. I have 6mm tze tape for my p-touch label maker. I'll try to remember to post a pic when I get home.
    Chris

2020 Nitro Z19 Pro w/ 200 ProXS

Awesome idea of labelling your reels.

15. Member
    Color coding instead???

All these ideas are just fine. As I said, I use one of them (label machine and scotch tape) on my golf clubs.

However, I was just wondering if color coding the rod/reel combinations wouldn't be even easier and quicker to pick out the combo that you want.

I think the "Standard" for color sequencing is Black-Brown-Red-Orange -Yellow-Green-Blue-Violet-Gray-White.

So, a piece of Black Tape might denote your smallest normal line diameter/strength. i.e. 4 lbs.

Brown tape would be 6 lbs

Red tape would be 8 lbs

Orange tape would be 10 lbs

Yellow tape would be 15 lbs

Green tape would be 17 lbs

Blue tape would be 20 lbs

Violet tape would be 25 lbs

Gray would be 30 lbs

White
    tape would be 40 lbs

Additional line strengths
    could be designated by cutting a BLACK tape half-width and combining that with a half-width of some other color that helps you figure out what you want it to mean.

OR WHATEVER Separations/sizes etc. make sense to you

The second piece of tape could denote the type of line...

Black mono

Brown fluorocarbon

Red Braid

etc.

A third strip of tape could be used to denote the type of rod/lure that you want to identify

Black .. topwaters

Brown ... mid level cranks

Red ... Bottom Bouncers

Orange ... Flukes

Yellow ... Worms

Blue .. Carolina Rigs

or any arrangement that you want.

Obviously, you'd have to have a "chart" glued inside of the rod cabinet until you remembered what the colored strips meant.

WalMart sells a group of five colored electrical tapes in their hardware department. That would give you a start. The other tapes would have to be secured from a fabric store or made up by printing a colored strip on your computer, and then covering it with scotch tape.

Just brainstorming here, in between messing in my shop. This "color-banding" is similar to how electrical resistors and numerous other electrical devices are coded.

I obviously have far fewer rods in action than most of you guys.
    regards, richg99

p.s. So, a rod combo with Orange; Black; Yellow on it would be a
    10 lbs line; Mono; used for worming....

Quote Originally Posted by bullrider View Post
    1" blue painters tape
    This is what I use placed right behind the reel on the top of the reel seat. I write test lb followed by either an "F" for flouro or an "M" for mono (12F, 15M etc.).

17. Member
    I use some stickers that are similar to the OP that I found at BPS, but the effect could be captured by basically any label. I put the stickers on the bottom of the reel before I attach it to the reel seat. They stay on, and are protected from the elements, wedged inbetween the reel and the seat. The one cool feature of the stickers I found is that you can easily record the date the line was put on the reel. I did a quick search on the BPS website but came up empty.
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS

18. Member
    Awesome

19. Member
    I use white electricians tape and an industrial sharpie. I label line brand, pound test, type of line (braid is obvious, but mono vs fluorocarbon can get mixed up sometimes), and date installed on my reel. I put it on the underside of my rod just up from the handle in an area I seldom touch. Stays on great and is easy to read and change out if I make changes.

I like having a date of the line on my reels. This past spring, I was throwing a chatterbait on a rod I don't use often. I had the biggest bass I've ever seen come up and hit the chatterbait on short line and the line popped like a firecracker. Lost my $9 chatterbait plus the bass of my lifetime....looked at what line was on there and it was four year old 20# Silver Thread. I had nobody to blame but myself. The rod went back in the box until it got fresh line on it.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast