Echomap70dv and panoptix

I have done some searches on these forums and it appears that after some updates the 70dv will do panoptix just fine. It also appears that a ps21 transducer is what I need to make it work. I am wondering a couple of things I did not see asked/answered in any threads searched

1. What else would I need to make it work, if anything?
    2. Will I lose the 2d sonar and downvu capabilities from the original transducer/package ? / Can I hook up both transducers to the unit or do I need to?

3. I also have a striker 7sv at the console with the 70dv on the bow and will connect them for waypoints using the blue/brown wires. Can I connect them to share sonar images too? how?

Thanks

2. Member
    Looking at the specs page, you should be fine with adding a Panoptix of any type. You wont need anything else as long as the cables reach other than a connection/connector (and maybe a switch if you want) to power the PS21.

Yes, you can run the traditional transducer at the same time as the PS21

Im pretty sure you can only share waypoints with the striker - not sonar images.
    Smokercraft Phantom 202 Yamaha F115/Merc 9.9
    Garmin 7610xsv/GT51M-TM/Panoptix PS21/LiveScope
    Why am I hanging out here when I could be fishing.....

Quote Originally Posted by mjk1210 View Post
    3. I also have a striker 7sv at the console with the 70dv on the bow and will connect them for waypoints using the blue/brown wires. Can I connect them to share sonar images too? how?

Thanks
    Sorry, but you cannot share wpts from a 70dv to any of the 2015/2016 echoMAP or Striker units via the blue/brown wires (Garmin High Speed Protocol). The 70dv shares wpts via Ethernet-networking to other Ethernet-compatible MFDs, which of course do not include the newer echoMAPs or Strikers.
    Garmin Pro Team

4. Member
    Corrected the 70S needs a software upgrade the 70DV does not.

Thanks
    Last edited by Treeguyus; 12-24-2016 at 05:27 AM.

5. Member
    Thank you for the replies.
    Too bad about the way point sharing. Can I save the way points on a card and transfer them to a newer unit like the 93sv?

6. Member
    Sorry but I realized a I have a follow up question to Larry's response. I expect the cables to reach long enough and I plan to install a waterproof connector with power on the front for the PS21 to get power from (perhaps I will switch it as well) but you mentioned I might need a connector. What connector would I need in order to use both the P21 and the original transducer to the 70dv?

thanks again.

7. Member
    I meant a connector for the power cable on the Panoptix. The Panoptix has two cables joined together.

One is the signal cable. It comes with the Ethernet plug already installed. All you have to do is put the screw on locking collar and O-ring on to the Ethernet plug.

The other half of the cable is the power leads. There is a fuse already in the positive side, but no connector is supplied. Some people just wire it directly into the power on the boat (with or without a switch) but most add what ever connector they prefer so the transducer can be removed for storage or to prevent theft.

I did not use a switch. The connector I chose is designed to be plugged in/removed often, and its where I can reach it easily, so I just unplug the power lead when I want to turn it off.
    Smokercraft Phantom 202 Yamaha F115/Merc 9.9
    Garmin 7610xsv/GT51M-TM/Panoptix PS21/LiveScope
    Why am I hanging out here when I could be fishing.....

8. Member
    Ahhh. Excellent. So that's why I am able to use the original transducer too...it plugs into a different type port on the unit. Thanks for clarifying. I do plan to use a waterproof connector for the power cables for the unit and the transducer. I am rebuilding the boat so I am able to run extra wires for power to the front and add connectors as I please in preparation for my electronics. I was going to also run a wire to connect the data sharing but won't need that one now since I can't share data with the striker 7sv.

I pick up my 70dv tomorrow. New in the box for 400 from a friend. I was happy with that price and am now very excited since I learned this unit will support panoptix too! I am new to Garmin but love the stuff already.

Thanks again.

9. Banned
    Mik I see your from my area. Where do you fish mostly?

I have a 70dv and PS21. It works great.

I have a like new PS31 for sale if you are interested. $1000 firm

11. Member
    Real sorry for the slow reply. I joined a club last year and am fishing all over now but now that I picked up a boat of my own I plan to fish Braidwood and the DesPlaines near Wilmington quite a bit this year . Might need a partner for some local tourneys. Also gonna try the Great Lakes division of BFL as a Co angler. How about you?

12. Member
    Also want to apologize for the slow reply. I'm not sure I need the 31 but I may take it. Is there an advantage for bass fishing over the ps21? I'm hoping that by March when I want to launch my boat I'll have enough saved and the price is a bit lower for those by then. I heard Garmin does not warranty anything sold on ebay. Is that true? It's still their product so not sure what the hang up would be. But curious.

13. Member

Garmin 70S and 70DV

MJK 1210 Tried to find a list compatable units to panoptix. Looks like Garmin needs to update the unit list. My reference to the software upgrade based on experience with the 70S and upgrade not necessary with the 70DV.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/548982#devices

As far as a PS-21. Montes PS-31 for a $1000.00 barely used.

What are you paying for the PS-21? Compared to Montes used.

The Echomap 70S I am using is in a compartment on my 2025 works great in the bow and is networked to a 1040 for panoptix. Love the pinch to zoom, feature found on the 70DV, for reading the screen from a distance. Note photo has been taken on the bow seat a distance away. Still easy to read.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Treeguyus; 12-24-2016 at 05:29 AM.

14. Member
    delete
    Last edited by Treeguyus; 12-24-2016 at 05:24 AM. Reason: delete